New Bronco

Err

Observer
So I went by our dealer yesterday and got some bad news. After the GM had his meeting with Ford on the 10th, it sounds like the 2.7 is going to be on hold for a while until they sort out the valve issue. He figures I have about a 10% at best shot at getting my Wildtrak built this year, and if they roll it over to a MY ‘23, I lose my original pricing, lease rate etc.

So I have two choices. I can say screw it and buy something else (I test drove a ‘22 Ram 1500 crewcab, and ‘19 Tundra Crewmax right after leaving the Ford store), or I can change my order to a lower trim that allows me to run the 2.3 with Squatch. I’m skeptical about the 2.3 having enough jam. It certainly won‘t like towing my 3500 lb trailer much. It wi maybe be ok on flat ground, but Colorado trips would be out.

Anyone here running a 4 dr Squatch with 2.3 auto?

I have a built 2.3 Ranger on 35’s with the Ford Performance tune (fully warrantied) and it scoots. Ranger gearing is not correct for 35’s, even so, the 10spd does a pretty good job of hiding it. Fuel economy is averaging 15.1. I suspect that would jump up 1-2 mpg’s with correct gearing.

The 2.3 is a strong little motor.

85_Ranger4x4

Our Bronco flirts with 25mph on the highway, I don't see it doing enough better on premium to justify the expense.

With my F-150 and $2.99 E85 regular has to be about $3.50/gal to be a wash.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
IMO they are trying to scare you out of your order so they can peddle it with a healthy markup.

Well, I did a thing. With no serial number yet, let alone scheduled build date and the ‘22 build time coming to a close, I said screw it. If it rolls over to a ‘23 the MSRP will jump +/- $7k and lease rates have doubled since January. I’m out. I leased a Tundra and will keep my highly modified Sequoia as my SUV. I already have a lift, wheels and 35s for the Tundra.

I know the dealership owners son, and he does all the orders. I’ve seen the six pages of Bronco orders they have with about 10% showing a serial number. Mine is not likely going to be the one they try to get backed out on.

I will revisit the whole thing in a year or three and see how things are going. Good luck to those of you sticking it out!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
2022 Bronco under $45,000 !

For those agonizing about the long wait, maybe take a look at this one (the only others I’ve seen on the left coast CL postings were north of $70k, so maybe this is an ok deal?):

1E99D1CA-FB77-47BA-949F-3E46FC2BC022.jpeg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

For those agonizing about the long wait, maybe take a look at this one (the only others I’ve seen on the left coast CL postings were north of $70k, so maybe this is an ok deal?):

Not sure which coast is the “left”, but I AM sure that’s NOT a Bronco. It’s a Sport. There is exactly zero similarity between the two vehicles aside from the name, and the fact that Ford built them.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

View attachment 734420
What's wrong with the Bronco Sport? We picked up this one and have been pretty happy with it!

IMG_3212.JPG

Not rock crawling by any stretch but as much capability as we'd need:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I never said there was anything wrong with it, just that it’s not the same vehicle that the 65 pages of “agonizing“ is about. If the Sport floats your boat, then that’s great.

ABBB

What’s the latest on hybrid or EV versions? I can google, and I did. Sounds like 2024 MY for hybrid. With EV tax credits being reintroduced (TYJB) I’ll be keeping an eye out for these. A Bronco is all I’m seriously considering replacing my LR3 with (unless the Grenadier becomes available in hybrid) and I’m not keen on buying another full ICE vehicle unless battery technology really seems like it’s going to take another decade+ to provide any kind of efficiency. I’d preorder a hybrid Bronco Badlands today and plan to keep it 6-10 years to get me through the wait for battery tech and infrastructure to develop if it were an option. I like the idea of 18-22 gallons paired with a regenerative battery to use around town and extend road and off-road travel. Imagine your battery recharging while you use descent control!!

85_Ranger4x4

What’s the latest on hybrid or EV versions? I can google, and I did. Sounds like 2024 MY for hybrid. With EV tax credits being reintroduced (TYJB) I’ll be keeping an eye out for these. A Bronco is all I’m seriously considering replacing my LR3 with (unless the Grenadier becomes available in hybrid) and I’m not keen on buying another full ICE vehicle unless battery technology really seems like it’s going to take another decade+ to provide any kind of efficiency. I’d preorder a hybrid Bronco Badlands today and plan to keep it 6-10 years to get me through the wait for battery tech and infrastructure to develop if it were an option. I like the idea of 18-22 gallons paired with a regenerative battery to use around town and extend road and off-road travel. Imagine your battery recharging while you use descent control!!

The Wrangler 4XE only goes a couple miles offroad on battery only. Not much to really dream about. And the battery srorage reduces the fuel tank size (and cargo area) which results in a net loss in range vs a normal Wrangler offroad.

ABBB

The Wrangler 4XE only goes a couple miles offroad on battery only. Not much to really dream about. And the battery srorage reduces the fuel tank size (and cargo area) which results in a net loss in range vs a normal Wrangler offroad.

Those sound like problems Jeep created by rushing to market. Even so, I applaud their willingness to experiment and learn in the process. This is the direction we’re heading and I have no doubt Jeep and Ford will release vastly improved products over the 4XE in the coming years.

85_Ranger4x4

Those sound like problems Jeep created by rushing to market. Even so, I applaud their willingness to experiment and learn in the process. This is the direction we’re heading and I have no doubt Jeep and Ford will release vastly improved products over the 4XE in the coming years.

Eh, kinda part of it.

One downside of having two powertrains... is having two powertrains.

Jeep didn't compromise on the gas side like most do though, it is still basically a 4cyl Wrangler but with more Rubicon parts than normal to deal with the extra torque.

ABBB

Eh, kinda part of it.

One downside of having two powertrains... is having two powertrains.

Jeep didn't compromise on the gas side like most do though, it is still basically a 4cyl Wrangler but with more Rubicon parts than normal to deal with the extra torque.

Sounds like a solid prototype for a long term project if you ask me. It’s all a wild ass experiment. Product needs to be stout enough to earn and maintain customer confidence, but like I said before, I don’t think we’re far off. If Ford can give me a 20 gallon tank with 15-18mpg range on 33s plus whatever extended range the electric powertrain offers, like I said, I’m putting a deposit down today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz