Garmin Tread Overland Edition - any users yet?

jprovence

Any heavy Gaia Pro users upgraded and find it better? I’m finding the downloading to be easier now that I gave up on sat maps and I like their overland map version a lot. But, Im still considering this as an upgrade. Just not sure its worth it.
The Tread routing ability far outclasses Gaia and most other apps. The vehicle profiles clarifying what MVUM road you can travel and being able to navigate around on those roads. It presents so much more information beyond map layers. It’s totally worth it.

2010BlackL322

Any heavy Gaia Pro users upgraded and find it better? I’m finding the downloading to be easier now that I gave up on sat maps and I like their overland map version a lot. But, Im still considering this as an upgrade. Just not sure its worth it.
Yes, much easier to use and detail is better

patchesj

So for folks that already have an inreach device (mini) and a garmin watch (Epix 2) that they use for hiking/out of vehicle adventure, how can I get all of the Tread features but just pair with my existing inreach? I really don't want 2 subscriptions when I should just be able to pair them with ANT+.

Is there still a software/feature gap to the Overlander?

So for folks that already have an inreach device (mini) and a garmin watch (Epix 2) that they use for hiking/out of vehicle adventure, how can I get all of the Tread features but just pair with my existing inreach? I really don't want 2 subscriptions when I should just be able to pair them with ANT+.

Is there still a software/feature gap to the Overlander?
Probably the only feature gap that people would care about it the 4 camara system, but they updated it to an HD camera system along with night vision options. I have extensive experience with both as an owner. What specific software gaps were you referring too?

So does that mean that for me to use it with Global Positioning SATELITE I have to have a subscription? If so that immediately s--- cans this. For me I like the ability to just turn the thing on and decide I want to go there>>>> X marks the spot.

Having to have a subscription feels like I am tethered to the net which is what I don't want to be. Remember how it feels to just have paper and look at big swaths of land and think wow! I didn't know there was spring, a camping site, creek, etc. I think I'll go there.

The other question I have is

How is the screen resolution compared to say an Apple 10 inch i-pad running Gaia ?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hate to interrupt, but quick question?? I just found my EMap Garmin a handheld job probably got it in 2003/4 or so. #98860975 (?)

I used this in my boat on the lakes, meant more for hiking. It loaded highways but never used it that much.

Question, needs batteries, will this work with new systems out there, are the basics still the same or is this a weight for catfish bait?

WSS

Rock Stacker
Hate to interrupt, but quick question?? I just found my EMap Garmin a handheld job probably got it in 2003/4 or so. #98860975 (?)

I used this in my boat on the lakes, meant more for hiking. It loaded highways but never used it that much.

Question, needs batteries, will this work with new systems out there, are the basics still the same or is this a weight for catfish bait?

It's approaching 20 years old, may be better to upgrade a little. However, if a battery is all it needs and it works fine, I would put it back in service. It most likely will not interface with newer stuff like the overlander or the inreach.

Those were the break through GPS for maps!! I went from a 45xl to an emap then to a nuvi 460.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
It's approaching 20 years old, may be better to upgrade a little. However, if a battery is all it needs and it works fine, I would put it back in service. It most likely will not interface with newer stuff like the overlander or the inreach.

Those were the break through GPS for maps!! I went from a 45xl to an emap then to a nuvi 460.
Upgrade a little bit! ?
That's kinda what I thought, I still have my flip phone, takes great pictures.
The batteries leaked a bit in storage, I'll clean it up and get new batteries then try it out.

Thank you for the confirmation, I'm not sure if I really need the newest, greatest and best since I can't really get that lost from civilization in the States. (y)

deserteagle56

Adventurer
So does that mean that for me to use it with Global Positioning SATELITE I have to have a subscription? If so that immediately s--- cans this. For me I like the ability to just turn the thing on and decide I want to go there>>>> X marks the spot.

Subscription is for the InReach two-way communication feature only. No one is going to allow you to communicate (send and receive text messages) via satellites without paying for it! For just the GPS functions there is no subscription required, and that applies to any GPS unit, even the GPS included in your smart phone.

WSS

Rock Stacker
The other question I have is

How is the screen resolution compared to say an Apple 10 inch i-pad running Gaia ?

The ipad will probably look better while using other apps. Comparing Gaia on a 10" ipad to the overlander, the difference is not noticeable except on screen size alone.

About 4 years ago, I switched to Gaia on a ipad due to the lack of support on Garmin units. This was before the overlander. I found that "street level" navigation was not very useful off road.

However, I did four trips with the Gaia before switching back. This may not be an issue for many but it was a deal killer for me. What was happening was I would miss a turn or split in the trail by 50 to 150 feet. This resulted in two things, backing up all the vehicles in the group (Rock crawling mostly) to get back on track and two, making the trail leader look like he is lost LOL.

DC DII

Going to be buying a Tread XL and just wondering if anyone has more/very recent info on their experiences so far.

Living in south Texas and doing a majority of highway driving (just to get to remote places) Garmin works better for me than GAIA, etc...so I will be purchasing a Tread unit in the next few months -

For us, at this point in life, the "campground (UPC)" and "points of interest" features are of interest and for me on long solo trips the built in inReach will be nice.

So, if you've been using the Tread XL and some of the features I'd be interested to hear your take/opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Erik

StephenConey

Going to be buying a Tread XL and just wondering if anyone has more/very recent info on their experiences so far.

Living in south Texas and doing a majority of highway driving (just to get to remote places) Garmin works better for me than GAIA, etc...so I will be purchasing a Tread unit in the next few months -

For us, at this point in life, the "campground (UPC)" and "points of interest" features are of interest and for me on long solo trips the built in inReach will be nice.

So, if you've been using the Tread XL and some of the features I'd be interested to hear your take/opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Erik
Erik,

I currently have the Garmin Overlander, but I got to borrow a Tread XL for 10 days while touring In the backcountry with group of others. And I loved the Tread XL unit. But not enough to swap it for my Garmin Overlander.

My thoughts,
* screen is bright and large and the maps render very well. They are just beautiful.
* Highway navigation worked well enough, but I was mainly off-road, so hard to really test.
* the unit is more responsive and snappy than the Overlander. Just feels better.
* I really wanted an external GPS antenna, which the tread supports. But, both units work well enough without the external antenna.
* And I really really wanted the in built inReach, again with an external antenna. This wI’ll be the reason I would buy the Tread, if I ever did. At the moment I just pair my inReach mini to the Overlander, and it works well enough, but … I really want the inbuilt one. And external antenna.
* I prefer the mount of the Overlander, just easier to snap on and off. The Tread mount is good, but not as easy as the Overlander, and you will be taking it on and off.
* There is a feature (or bug) with the Tread, it will not display a route created offline and uploaded. Even had the Garmin engineers look at the problem, and they confirmed it is a problem. The Overlander works fine.

I just spent a week in the backcountry with friends and swapped my Overlander for a large iPad running Gaia and a Garmin Glo. For planning and route finding, the Gaia is so much better. No competition in my mind. But, and this is a big but, I found Gaia on the iPad really hard to use while driving on bumpy roads. It is just too sensitive. Probably an issue on highways as well. The Garmin displays are so simple and designed to be used while driving, you tend to be able to do what you want without the app doing weird things. I plan to bring and use Gaia (with paid subscription) all the time going forward for planning and reference, but the Garmin for navigation while driving.

Hope some of the above helps. I could talk for hours on this. If I did not have the Overlander already, I would definitely go for the Tread XL for driving and Gaia on a tablet for around camp.

DC DII

Erik,

I currently have the Garmin Overlander, but I got to borrow a Tread XL for 10 days while touring In the backcountry with group of others. And I loved the Tread XL unit. But not enough to swap it for my Garmin Overlander.

My thoughts,
* screen is bright and large and the maps render very well. They are just beautiful.
* Highway navigation worked well enough, but I was mainly off-road, so hard to really test.
* the unit is more responsive and snappy than the Overlander. Just feels better.
* I really wanted an external GPS antenna, which the tread supports. But, both units work well enough without the external antenna.
* And I really really wanted the in built inReach, again with an external antenna. This wI’ll be the reason I would buy the Tread, if I ever did. At the moment I just pair my inReach mini to the Overlander, and it works well enough, but … I really want the inbuilt one. And external antenna.
* I prefer the mount of the Overlander, just easier to snap on and off. The Tread mount is good, but not as easy as the Overlander, and you will be taking it on and off.
* There is a feature (or bug) with the Tread, it will not display a route created offline and uploaded. Even had the Garmin engineers look at the problem, and they confirmed it is a problem. The Overlander works fine.

I just spent a week in the backcountry with friends and swapped my Overlander for a large iPad running Gaia and a Garmin Glo. For planning and route finding, the Gaia is so much better. No competition in my mind. But, and this is a big but, I found Gaia on the iPad really hard to use while driving on bumpy roads. It is just too sensitive. Probably an issue on highways as well. The Garmin displays are so simple and designed to be used while driving, you tend to be able to do what you want without the app doing weird things. I plan to bring and use Gaia (with paid subscription) all the time going forward for planning and reference, but the Garmin for navigation while driving.

Hope some of the above helps. I could talk for hours on this. If I did not have the Overlander already, I would definitely go for the Tread XL for driving and Gaia on a tablet for around camp.

Stephen -

Man, that was exactly what I was looking for and on all the forums I don't get to say that -that much :)

I went down the iPad/GAIA, onX Offroad, etc. path and found after 25+ years of "offroading/camping" in the Land Rover and on the adventure bike I just want direct simplicity.

My exploration was in the 90's and 2000's so am good with the "off the grid" stuff...in fact, some of the "patreon only" routes I have seen on YouTube some of us did years ago ;)

So, thanks...appreciate your thoughts and yes sir, the above helps!

Kindest Regards,
Erik

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke