80 Series Maintenance costs?

So I'm about to purchase a vehicle to replace my beloved 2001 Montero XLS. One candidate is a 220K-mile LX450 in good shape. My question to those who have owned an 80 Series truck for some time: how brutal are maintenance costs? I plan to drop $2K or so to baseline the vehicle after purchase. Assuming that previous owners did their part re: upkeep (and the LX470 I'm considering is very clean) what can I expect in terms of related expenses? (For context, I once DIY'd my own trucks but I now run two businesses and prefer to pay a shop for larger jobs).

On a related note, the only glaring cosmetic issue with this vehicle is a big crack in the dash. My limited research indicates that repairing the dash to its former glory is unlikely, that junkyard dashes are tough to come by, and that Lexus will sell me a dash and install it for roughly the cost of my home. Any input here would be appreciated.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
So I'm about to purchase a vehicle to replace my beloved 2001 Montero XLS. On candidate is a 220K-mile LX450 in good shape. My question to those who have owned an 80 Series truck for some time: how brutal are maintenance costs? I plan to drop $2K or so to baseline the vehicle after purchase. Assuming that previous owners did their part re: upkeep (and the LX470 I'm considering is very clean) what can I expect in terms of related expenses? (For context, I once DIY'd my own trucks but I now run two businesses and prefer to pay a shop for larger jobs).

On a related note, the only glaring cosmetic issue with this vehicle is a big crack in the dash. My limited research indicates that repairing the dash to its former glory is unlikely, that junkyard dashes are tough to come by, and that Lexus will sell me a dash and install it for roughly the cost of my home. Any input here would be appreciated.
Do you have a cruiser specific shop local to you? I'd start there and get a inspection prior to purchase to make sure it's well taken care of and get a sense of what may need done. They are not cheap to work on and some parts are non-longer available directly from Toyota.

Do you have a cruiser specific shop local to you? I'd start there and get a inspection prior to purchase to make sure it's well taken care of and get a sense of what may need done. They are not cheap to work on and some parts are non-longer available directly from Toyota.

Appreciate the reply. I have not found a shop in my area (Naples, FL) that specializes in 80 Series trucks -- closest is up the road a few hours in Orlando. I do have two local mechanics that have done solid work on our LX470, though. Agree on the up-front inspection. Also appreciate the frank take about the fact that they can be pricey to maintain. I too often hear glowing reports about the platform being "bulletproof." I'm as big a fan of the brand's premium trucks as anyone, but all things age and crumble. Myself included. :)

MOAK

Adventurer
My 1996 450 has 351,000 miles. I’ve done a lot of things myself and I’ve shopped it out both to specialty shops and my local guy. Overall maintenance and upkeep costs traveling about 12,000 miles a year equates to an average of less than $750 year over the past 9 years of ownership. There are some things I replace such as starters, alternators, batteries, brakes, and tires, well before their average service life expectancy. One really doesn’t want to be confronted with a worn out starter 8 hours from the nearest town. To your dashboard quest. There is a Landcruiser salvage/parts/restoration shop up in NH that may be able to source a replacement.
https://shop.cruiserparts.net/ Good luck, @ 220,000 it is just broken in.

nickw

Adventurer
Appreciate the reply. I have not found a shop in my area (Naples, FL) that specializes in 80 Series trucks -- closest is up the road a few hours in Orlando. I do have two local mechanics that have done solid work on our LX470, though. Agree on the up-front inspection. Also appreciate the frank take about the fact that they can be pricey to maintain. I too often hear glowing reports about the platform being "bulletproof." I'm as big a fan of the brand's premium trucks as anyone, but all things age and crumble. Myself included. :)
Take a look on IH8mud forum, in the 80 section, there is a thread about parts that are NLA (no longer available) as OEM, the list is long. Specialty cruiser shops likely have a good handle on this and/or have spares, know where OEM may be or know how to work around it....non cruiser shops likely don't, regardless of how good the mechanics are.

I think 80's (personally) are enthusiast rigs at this point where an owner needs to have a good handle on parts availability.

My 1996 450 has 351,000 miles. I’ve done a lot of things myself and I’ve shopped it out both to specialty shops and my local guy. Overall maintenance and upkeep costs traveling about 12,000 miles a year equates to an average of less than $750 year over the past 9 years of ownership. There are some things I replace such as starters, alternators, batteries, brakes, and tires, well before their average service life expectancy. One really doesn’t want to be confronted with a worn out starter 8 hours from the nearest town. To your dashboard quest. There is a Landcruiser salvage/parts/restoration shop up in NH that may be able to source a replacement.
https://shop.cruiserparts.net/ Good luck, @ 220,000 it is just broken in.

Excellent info. Thank you.

Take a look on IH8mud forum, in the 80 section, there is a thread about parts that are NLA (no longer available) as OEM, the list is long. Specialty cruiser shops likely have a good handle on this and/or have spares, know where OEM may be or know how to work around it....non cruiser shops likely don't, regardless of how good the mechanics are.

I think 80's (personally) are enthusiast rigs at this point where an owner needs to have a good handle on parts availability.

Appreciate that, and makes sense. I doubt that sourcing parts for an 80 Series will prove more challenging than it has for my 2001 Montero -- I've even resorted to junkyards and part-outs a number of times, and even Australian suppliers for a few parts. And yes, I agree that at this stage these older Japanese trucks are best owned by folks committed to maintaining them either themselves, via a competent shop -- or, most likely, both.

plh

Explorer
Appreciate that, and makes sense. I doubt that sourcing parts for an 80 Series will prove more challenging than it has for my 2001 Montero -- I've even resorted to junkyards and part-outs a number of times, and even Australian suppliers for a few parts. And yes, I agree that at this stage these older Japanese trucks are best owned by folks committed to maintaining them either themselves, via a competent shop -- or, most likely, both.

Always a challenge obtaining OE parts for a 25YO + vehicle with low production (or import) volumes. I'd guess fewer LC80s came to the USA than Monteros. And fewer yet Lexus branded if there are any different specialty parts. Found on IH8Mud:
USA volume:
1991.......8,446........FJ80
1992.......7,865........FJ80
1993.......8,886........FJ80
1994.......11,007.......FJ80
1995.......14,208.......FJ80
1996.......12,816.......FJ80
1997.......11,502.......FJ80

Montero USA sales
2006 1,609
2005 2,778
2004 5,181
2003 8,839
2002 19,181
2001 24,802
2000 21,578
1999 5,115
1998 4,120
1997 6,915
1996 12,083
1995 17,747
I have not been able to find older data for Montero

Last edited:

MOAK

Adventurer
Yes, one must be committed to maintaining the 80s, it is a hobby, which I do enjoy. Here's the thing, Yes, I've dumped just about 7,000 into mine. At 351 it's time to rebuild the transfer case as a matter of preventative maintenance. At 325 the front axle was inspected and re-assembled. At 292 we pulled the head for inspection, added new valve stem seals and re-assembled. New A/C at around 265, along with a new power steering pump. At 210, all new rubber, everywhere, pulled transmission and replace the rear mains, new gasket for the oil pump and front main. This is all normal preventative maintenance. Expensive? Ah yea, but how expensive is a $700 a month payment? Or how expensive is a new capable vehicle? Even if my engine were to blow it would be roughly $15,000 to replace it with stock components. But, that motor will outlast me, as well as the transmission. I would not hesitate driving it up through Canada and into Alaska. It is the single automobile I've ever owned that the old adage of "you take care of it, it will take care of you" is right on target. Your Montero is the same way, that is a well built vehicle designed to last a very long time. You do have a difficult decision to make, but I do know that If I had it all to do over again the only thing I would have done different would be to have purchased the 80 a decade earlier than I did. Sorry I sound like a Toyota commercial, I try not to. LOL man have a great time, whatever you do!!

nickw

Adventurer
Always a challenge obtaining OE parts for a 25YO + vehicle with low production (or import) volumes. I'd guess fewer LC80s came to the USA than Monteros. And fewer yet Lexus branded if there are any different specialty parts. Found on IH8Mud:
USA volume:

Montero USA sales
2006 1,609
2005 2,778
2004 5,181
2003 8,839
2002 19,181
2001 24,802
2000 21,578
1999 5,115
1998 4,120
1997 6,915
1996 12,083
1995 17,747
I had a 78' FJ40 for several years in the early 2000's, it was a PITA to try and maintain quality parts vs buying garbage online.....it's actually gotten BETTER over the last few years which may be a possibility for the 80's also as the aftermarket has stepped up for solutions and workarounds now that OE is drying up.

MOAK

Adventurer
USA volume:

Montero USA sales
2006 1,609
2005 2,778
2004 5,181
2003 8,839
2002 19,181
2001 24,802
2000 21,578
1999 5,115
1998 4,120
1997 6,915
1996 12,083
1995 17,747
good numbers you have there, the LX 450 sold close to 15,000 units in North America for the years 96/97.

nickw

Adventurer
good numbers you have there, the LX 450 sold close to 15,000 units in North America for the years 96/97.
Source?

Did you mean to come across and condescending or maybe I am just reading into your comment wrong?

billiebob

So I'm about to purchase a vehicle to replace my beloved 2001 Montero XLS. On candidate is a 220K-mile LX450 in good shape. My question to those who have owned an 80 Series truck for some time: how brutal are maintenance costs? I plan to drop $2K or so to baseline the vehicle after purchase. Assuming that previous owners did their part re: upkeep (and the LX470 I'm considering is very clean) what can I expect in terms of related expenses? (For context, I once DIY'd my own trucks but I now run two businesses and prefer to pay a shop for larger jobs).

On the dash, without the crack it would sell faster for more money. You get to place a low ball offer and buy a vehicle with a cracked dash..... all dashes eventually crack...... ignore the dash, buy a winch.

You are looking at a Toyota !!! The holy grail of takes a licking, keeps on ticking. Plus it is a Toyota.... not a BMW so even dealership maintenance and repairs are pretty affordable.... at least compared to most other makes.

You are buying a used car,,, no warranty.... buyer beware. 220K miles is not a low miler, that is a vehicle which has been driven daily..... does the owner have service records ????

On maintenance costs. I had a high mile YJ, sold it with 500K kms, 300K miles. It was as primitive as any Jeep, I bought it used for $4500, sold it 20 years later for $3500. I replaced the rear dif, the transfer case and the engine. Including all that plus tires, oil changes and all the other maintenance I spent $20K to keeping it running reliably...... a grand a year. I sold it 12 years ago. Today I expect to spend $2K a year to keep my TJR as reliable. And since it is my work truck records say I spend more, but I put 24K miles a year on it and 12K of those miles are towing a 2000# work trailer.... in the mountains.

Too many people way under budget maintenance expenses then when the bills add up they quit going to mechanics thinking they will save money doing oil changes at home lol...... Mechanics do much more than change the oil.....

Last edited:

MOAK

Adventurer
Source?

Did you mean to come across and condescending or maybe I am just reading into your comment wrong?
Reading it wrong- there’s nothing between the lines. I have a triple locked 450/80 and have known these numbers for years. The 96 model was a test with right around 5,000 models imported. The remaining 10,000 were 97 models. I’d love to find out how many 450s there are now especially the very rare ones that are triple locked. They are identical vehicles to a Toyota Landcruiser with all the options, except an upgraded stereo system, moon roof, leather seats, badges, different headlights, grill, body cladding, insulation, softer springs, a cell phone option, and color choices. It has been argued by some that the 80 series was designed and built to last a half million miles. Toyota motors has never come out and said this as it would open the doors to liability claims, however, behind closed doors and in off the record interviews it has been said and labeled as folklore. Interestingly that folklore is becoming a reality as there are way more than a few that have reached that half million mark and are still going strong. Mine sits in our carriage house anxiously awaiting its next assignment, it’s not daily driven but still sees an average of 12,000 miles a year touring N.America.

plh

Explorer
Reading it wrong- there’s nothing between the lines. I have a triple locked 450/80 and have known these numbers for years. The 96 model was a test with right around 5,000 models imported. The remaining 10,000 were 97 models. I’d love to find out how many 450s there are now especially the very rare ones that are triple locked. They are identical vehicles to a Toyota Landcruiser with all the options, except an upgraded stereo system, moon roof, leather seats, badges, different headlights, grill, body cladding, insulation, softer springs, a cell phone option, and color choices. It has been argued by some that the 80 series was designed and built to last a half million miles. Toyota motors has never come out and said this as it would open the doors to liability claims, however, behind closed doors and in off the record interviews it has been said and labeled as folklore. Interestingly that folklore is becoming a reality as there are way more than a few that have reached that half million mark and are still going strong. Mine sits in our carriage house anxiously awaiting its next assignment, it’s not daily driven but still sees an average of 12,000 miles a year touring N.America.

No matter what, all old cars die. NHTSA publishes generic estimates of "vehicles sold remaining in the field" For light trucks as of December 2021 - MY2000 - MY1998 the estimate is 17% and MY1995 - MY1997 that estimate is 12%. Various models fair better than others, but I wouldn't expect more than a 5% difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz