How are you guys handling yourselves in strange circumstances off the grid?

The_Squid

What do you carry in Griz Country? I am afraid my 9mm would just piss them off even more than just being born Grizzly. I live in Griz Country and saw signs on recent adventures. I keep my bear spray handy.

What do Canadians do.... just die by the thousands? lol

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
What do you carry in Griz Country? …. I live in Griz Country and saw signs on recent adventures. I keep my bear spray handy.

In Canada we’ve always just carried the bear spray like you’re doing.

When in Alaska or grizz country in the northern Rockies in the past, we also at times have carried a 12 ga. with the 3” shells with us.

Like you, we’ve lived in known grizzly bear habitat country and that’s never kept us from enjoying the back country. This was a sign posted in one area we used to frequently explore up there:235AFBE3-9053-4EEF-9148-B157024B0671.jpeg

If you seriously feel you have to take a handgun along, a fishing guide in Alaska I’m familiar with carry's a .50 cal S&W pistol in a chest rig, fwiw.

Last edited:

Photobug

If you seriously feel you have to take a handgun along, a fishing guide in Alaska I’m familiar with carry's a .50 cal S&W pistol in a chest rig, fwiw.

Where in Canada do you live?

I have gotten into riding motorcycles in the backcountry and spend time alone in heavy Grizzly country. I am hoping the sound of my bike keeps them aware of my impending arrival. Since I am old and new at riding the thought of carrying a huge cannon on my chest frightens me as much as getting eaten by a Grizz. If it comes to it I was thinking a 10mm, for bear country and 12 ga for a truck gun. If it goes there, for now I just carry BB guns, maybe I can get a 50 cal bb replica, hopefully the bears will know to stay away when they see it. ;).

Recent Bear stories near me.

hemifoot

Observer
i'm in central British Columbia and we travel up towards the Yukon every year.bear spray,a 12 ga.18" barrel with a pistol grip for a camp gun and some bear knowledge is all i need. i was given a bear aware course because of my work and it was an eye opener.up here we're in bear country no matter where we are geogragaphically.

stevo_pct

What do you carry in Griz Country? I am afraid my 9mm would just piss them off even more than just being born Grizzly. I live in Griz Country and saw signs on recent adventures. I keep my bear spray handy.

I carry a 10mm in my chest rig (and hope to god I never have to find out if it's enough) and and a 12 ga. with hard cast slugs in my truck. I have done A LOT of backpacking in bear country and have seen tons of black bears but never even seen a grizzly.

Photobug

I carry a 10mm in my chest rig (and hope to god I never have to find out if it's enough) and and a 12 ga. with hard cast slugs in my truck. I have done A LOT of backpacking in bear country and have seen tons of black bears but never even seen a grizzly.

First pic is my backyard.
The second pic is on the commute to my boat. I figure I am always in Bear Country and at times I am likely closer to a Grizzly than another human.

Attachments

• 20211004_151453 (3).jpg
    20211004_151453 (3).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 20200827_143316 (1).jpg
    20200827_143316 (1).jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 50

billiebob

I admit, grizzlies are a special breed. I flat out avoid them. There have been too many death by Grizzly in my neck of the woods but always by a threatened or compromized Grizzly. Thing is, you need a mighty big gun and you need to be very proficient with it,,,, plus fully composed to get the kill shot, you only get one shot before you are lunch.

The few horror stories of Grizzlys are terrifying, but few Grizzlies go down with one shot from the handgun of a panicked camper. Those horror stories often involve someone with a rifle after a few people are already dead.

ps... I love bears, I'd sooner carry a big knife and only use it if he was close enough.

Last edited:

blacklbzbeauty

I admit, grizzlies are a special breed. I flat out avoid them. There have been too many death by Grizzly in my neck of the woods but always by a threatened or compromized Grizzly. Thing is, you need a mighty big gun and you need to be very proficient with it,,,, plus fully composed to get the kill shot, you only get one shot before you are lunch.

The few horror stories of Grizzlys are terrifying, but few Grizzlies go down with one shot from the handgun of a panicked camper. Those horror stories often involve someone with a rifle after a few people are already dead.

ps... I love bears, I'd sooner carry a big knife and only use it if he was close enough.

Bears are pretty cool. Have always been fascinated with them.
Interesting that someone such as yourself, who knows how dangerous a threatened or compromised grizzly can be, would choose to protect themselves with a big knife. IMHO, if the grizz is close enough to use a knife, you are probably in more trouble than the knife can get you out of alive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles