Gas prices & a few grizzly bears...

jhmoore

I'm recently back from a month-long trip to the Jackson Hole area in Wyoming--living out of my 4Runner and photographing mostly grizzly bears. I just finished doing all my accounting for trip, so thought I'd share an interesting comparison... and a few grizzly bear photos, because it can't all be about the math...

2018 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road with E-rated tires

May-June 2022
5,641 miles
18.6 MPG (total trip average)
$1,497.60 in gas
$4.94 per gallon (total trip average)

I do this trip once or twice per year, so I pulled up the accounting from my first trip in this 4Runner, back in fall of 2018. At that point I was in stock tires, so the gas mileage was a little better.

Sep-Oct 2018
4,717 miles
20.4 MPG (total trip average)
$766.08 in gas
$3.31 per gallon (total trip average)

Between losing 2 MPG with the tires, gas being stupid expensive, and just a few more miles... I doubled the gas cost.

Now for the gratuitous grizzly bears as compensation for making you read accounting numbers...

Blondie-3cubs_5117.jpgBlondie-cub-with-grass-in-mouth_8539.jpgBlondie_8594.jpgBlondie-cub-foot-up_8368.jpgBlondie-cub-standing-martial-arts-pose_8317.jpg610-three-cubs-in-woods_3615.jpgbear-climbing-hill-in-rain_3500.jpg399-inspects-moose-carcass_3126.jpgFelicia-nursing_2220.jpgFelicia-cub-paws-up_0897.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'm recently back from a month-long trip to the Jackson Hole area in Wyoming--living out of my 4Runner and photographing mostly grizzly bears. I just finished doing all my accounting for trip, so thought I'd share an interesting comparison... and a few grizzly bear photos, because it can't all be about the math...

2018 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road with E-rated tires

May-June 2022
5,641 miles
18.6 MPG (total trip average)
$1,497.60 in gas
$4.94 per gallon (total trip average)

I do this trip once or twice per year, so I pulled up the accounting from my first trip in this 4Runner, back in fall of 2018. At that point I was in stock tires, so the gas mileage was a little better.

Sep-Oct 2018
4,717 miles
20.4 MPG (total trip average)
$766.08 in gas
$3.31 per gallon (total trip average)

Between losing 2 MPG with the tires, gas being stupid expensive, and just a few more miles... I doubled the gas cost.

Now for the gratuitous grizzly bears as compensation for making you read accounting numbers...

View attachment 731219View attachment 731220View attachment 731221View attachment 731222View attachment 731223View attachment 731224View attachment 731225View attachment 731226View attachment 731227View attachment 731228
I have a 2005 Pilot which normally has one passenger and couldn't average that good of mpg.

jhmoore

Thanks for the pics. I love the first one. How far away were you?

If you're asking about how far away I was in the first photo... it's hard to say. I don't carry a rangefinder. That photo was taken within Grand Teton National Park, which has a regulation that you cannot get within 100 yards of grizzlies and wolves. So officially my answer is 100 yards. However, that photo was also taken when national park wildlife management were present. Grand Teton is extremely poorly managed, with huge variability in terms of how the bear patrol handles situations. Sometimes they carry rangefinders and enforce exactly 100 yards, sometimes less, sometimes they push you further. Sometimes they allow you to be under 100 yards when you're in your vehicle; sometimes they don't. Having spent a lot of time there, I can tell you that their rules and the reasons they will give you if you ask are total BS. In this case, I was not in my car, the bear patrol was there, and I'd guess that it was under 100 yards... but I couldn't prove it. Sorry if that was more answer than you were looking for! It's a point of HUGE contention with photographers up there.

ITTOG

If you're asking about how far away I was in the first photo... it's hard to say. I don't carry a rangefinder. That photo was taken within Grand Teton National Park, which has a regulation that you cannot get within 100 yards of grizzlies and wolves. So officially my answer is 100 yards. However, that photo was also taken when national park wildlife management were present. Grand Teton is extremely poorly managed, with huge variability in terms of how the bear patrol handles situations. Sometimes they carry rangefinders and enforce exactly 100 yards, sometimes less, sometimes they push you further. Sometimes they allow you to be under 100 yards when you're in your vehicle; sometimes they don't. Having spent a lot of time there, I can tell you that their rules and the reasons they will give you if you ask are total BS. In this case, I was not in my car, the bear patrol was there, and I'd guess that it was under 100 yards... but I couldn't prove it. Sorry if that was more answer than you were looking for! It's a point of HUGE contention with photographers up there.
I understand, no worries. So obviously a very good lens.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Thx for sharing your great pics.

Life imitating art……Was this little guy you shot the inspiration for the movie Kung F u Panda?

000B6EA0-86B3-4810-8FB1-33FC5D19C9E1.jpeg4DC03F34-C549-4A6F-8F2F-947D17F2D8C1.jpeg

Last edited:

jhmoore

I understand, no worries. So obviously a very good lens.

yes. I shot mostly a 500 with 1.4TC, so at 700mm. I also carried a second camera with a 200-500 for when stuff was too close for 700. About 90% of my shots were with the first camera. If memory serves, that third photo is at 700 and uncropped… so much closer… and also not inside GTNP…

Tucsontom

Adventurer
Loved the photos! I can't get that type of mileage on my 2016. More like 14.8 - with a roof rack and some stuff on it. BFG's and minor lift. I think staying under 70-mph is key.

grizzlypath

Loved the photos! I can't get that type of mileage on my 2016. More like 14.8 - with a roof rack and some stuff on it. BFG's and minor lift. I think staying under 70-mph is key.

2020 4Runner + 3" lift + 33" Duratrac tires + roof rack
>20 mpg on freeway at 55-60
>16-17ish in town short drives
>12-16 when trail driving/camping

I've been tracking since I bought the vehicle new and have all my data! Going over 65 impacts the fuel economy immensely I found. V^2 and all that.

jhmoore

2020 4Runner + 3" lift + 33" Duratrac tires + roof rack
>20 mpg on freeway at 55-60
>16-17ish in town short drives
>12-16 when trail driving/camping

I've been tracking since I bought the vehicle new and have all my data! Going over 65 impacts the fuel economy immensely I found. V^2 and all that.

With a username like "grizzlypath," I think you owe use some photos or an explanation! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94