100 or 200 series with 200k miles?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Which series would you feel more comfortable buying with 200k on the clock? I know many more variables involved just in general if conditions are equal.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
My vote goes to the 200, just so much more comfortable and modern. Also, the 100 will be on it's second timing belt replacement while the 200 won't need the timing chain inspected for another 50-100K. I love the 100, in some ways I prefer it's looks but in terms of that mileage I think that the 5.7L wins out in terms of maintenance, parts, power, etc.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Thanks Tex and pardon the questions I am sure these have been regurgitated 100 times here..lol. If you are going to lift one is there certain factory suspension options that make it more difficult like electronic suspension?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Thanks Tex and pardon the questions I am sure these have been regurgitated 100 times here..lol. If you are going to lift one is there certain factory suspension options that make it more difficult like electronic suspension?

Nothing electronic to worry about but the 200 Series does have KDSS where the 100 Series doesn't. There are Pros and Cons to the system but overall KDSS is not a deterrent, you just have to crack the systems valves open 2.5-3 full turns when installing a lift kit. The Lexus LX570 has AHC which is a hydraulic ride height system that can double as a cheap lift should you do a bracket adjustment for the system. I've had both and I prefer the Cruiser without AHC but the LX with AHC does have some perks.

Kayak Taco

I've never owned a 100 or 200 series with less than 200k miles :) due to... Budget Constraints... ;)

My prior 2000 100 series had 327k miles on it and I would have trusted it to go anywhere. It was well kept and holding up well. I sold it and upgraded to a 2008 200 series cruiser with 202k on it that now has 261k on it. Both have been very good trucks, considering their mileage. All things being equal, I prefer the 200 series. More power, Smoother, etc. Both had quirks during my ownership, but nothing catastrophic.

That said....
Any vehicle with a lot of miles requires attention, maintenance, and an engaged owner. Pay attention to small things and take care of maintenance before they become big things. Land Cruisers are awesome and durable, but not immune to bad maintenance and wear and tear.

goFWD

I bought a 2009 LX570 last year with just over 200k miles. Something I learned during my search that helped: with a Lexus, if you know the VIN you can go to lexus.com and create an account, then associate it with that VIN. This will let you see the Toyota/Lexus dealership service history for that vehicle. These entries usually include detailed notes. For instance, there was mention by the detailer about having to clean out lots of dog hair on numerous occasions when the vehicle was brought in for regular maintenance, as well as complaints from the owner about minor interior issues, etc -- things that don't show up in reports from services like CarFax. In fact, most of these dealer visits didn't show up at all on a Carfax report or a similar report I pulled from one of their competitors; so, having access to that info helped fill in a lot of blanks in regards to the vehicle's service history.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I bought a 2009 LX570 last year with just over 200k miles. Something I learned during my search that helped: with a Lexus, if you know the VIN you can go to lexus.com and create an account, then associate it with that VIN. This will let you see the Toyota/Lexus dealership service history for that vehicle. These entries usually include detailed notes. For instance, there was mention by the detailer about having to clean out lots of dog hair on numerous occasions when the vehicle was brought in for regular maintenance, as well as complaints from the owner about minor interior issues, etc -- things that don't show up in reports from services like CarFax. In fact, most of these dealer visits didn't show up at all on a Carfax report or a similar report I pulled from one of their competitors; so, having access to that info helped fill in a lot of blanks in regards to the vehicle's service history.
And if you need servicing while in Edmonton, one of our Lexus stores has a golf simulator a guest bar and complimentary manicures / pedicures at the in dealership spa!

Just the thing for an overlander after a week in the bush.... lol

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
And if you need servicing while in Edmonton, one of our Lexus stores has a golf simulator a guest bar and complimentary manicures / pedicures at the in dealership spa!

Just the thing for an overlander after a week in the bush.... lol

I’d take it to the Toyota dealer- I could buy many rounds of golf and drinks for the difference in the labor rate….?

Arktikos

Explorer
I would buy the 100 because it'd be a helluva lot cheaper. Actually a friend of mine was selling theirs in good shape with 300K miles for $5K recently. I alerted a guy looking for a 100 but he passed because of "high mileage". Big mistake, IMO.

CanyonLX

Depends what you need the truck for. If you're not towing, I would take a later year 100 over an early model 200. If you're towing, then the 200 is what you need. I think the size of a 100 is perfect, where as the 200 feels more boaty, and a little bit harder to maneuver.

Both great trucks.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Depends what you need the truck for. If you're not towing, I would take a later year 100 over an early model 200. If you're towing, then the 200 is what you need. I think the size of a 100 is perfect, where as the 200 feels more boaty, and a little bit harder to maneuver.

Both great trucks.
Rarely tow, if I did it would be a 4K boat two or three times a year about 60 miles one way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles