Do we really need a spare?

Winterhawk

I always carry one, but the last time I needed one was 1984, and I'm not kidding. Maybe I'm lucky or tire technology is just that good these days. I likely won't get rid of mine but the weight and real-estate savings has me thinking.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Depends entirely where you go.
It is a risk Vs consequences assessment. The risk of needing it may be small, but if the consequences of needing one when do don't have one are very serious (either from a safety or from a financial perspective) then that needs to be factored in.

One serious stake can destroy every tyre on one side of the vehicle in about one second.
I carry 2.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Last edited:

Kevin108

Explorer
I've needed a spare tire twice. Once was in my wife's car 5 minutes from home. The other was an hour into the woods with no cell service. The latter made me question whether or not I needed two spares.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Wish to experience the life with no spare? Buy a motorcycle and travel off-road. After fixing a couple flats, in the middle of no where, in the heat, in the rain and pain of pulling everything off you may re-think the spare tire question. Cheers.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've definitely been thinking the same thing, especially since most of my vehicles run very large tires on relatively small platforms.

I ditched carrying a spare wheel many years ago, and have been taking the tire less and less. Not having the tire mounted on a wheel allows me to carry ( a lot of ) gear inside the spare tire. I also have a round cooler that fits in the middle of the tire.

Pushing the idea further, a spare tire only fixes one issue. Having a good tire repair kit can fix many issues ( as long as you catch them soon enough ). A good plug, patch, and tube setup still takes up FAR less space ( and weight ) than a full size spare tire. It does have some additional risk, but so does off-road travel in general. There are many aftermarket TPMS systems that can be retrofitted to older vehicles to allow keeping a closer eye on tires.

Having the ability to break down a tire/wheel will be a next level skill for many people, but it isn't THAT difficult to learn. It is one of those skills that will help you fix many issues, not just a single tire issue with a spare.

You also need to have a good onboard air compressor system.....again....that helps fix more than one issue.

As mentioned, motorcycle guys do this kind of stuff all the time.
Some people are going to be(come) more comfortable with it....some people are going to try and find space for 3 spare tires....

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Depends entirely where you go.
It is a risk Vs consequences assessment. The risk of needing it may be small, but if the consequences of needing one when do don't have one are very serious (either from a safety or from a financial perspective) then that needs to be factored in.

One serious stake can destroy every tyre on one side of the vehicle in about one second.
I carry 2.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Yep. The tread voids and the sidewalls are vulnerable.. My "indestructible" Toyo MT's met their demise on I-5. Some metal shrapnel killed one. They had 20K on them so I had to buy two. $600 day. :cry:

grizzlypath

Wish to experience the life with no spare? Buy a motorcycle and travel off-road. After fixing a couple flats, in the middle of no where, in the heat, in the rain and pain of pulling everything off you may re-think the spare tire question. Cheers.

Reminds me about how changing a tire never happens on the nice bluebird day at lunchtime. It's always in the middle of nowhere, dark, pouring rain, on the side of a dirt shoulder haha.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Reminds me about how changing a tire never happens on the nice bluebird day at lunchtime. It's always in the middle of nowhere, dark, pouring rain, on the side of a dirt shoulder haha.

LOL...so true!

Last one: Lasalle Pass into Moab, 100+ degrees, no shade at first until I limped it to a shade tree and asked the kind lady if I could borrow her shade tree to fix my flat. She did! Nearly passed out on that one....

A672D9D8-F4E4-4B9E-A78F-283F39D9F5D9.jpeg6FD7EF19-C6F8-4234-9A73-AF14F6205D72.jpeg

lugueto

Adventurer
I've gone complete sets of tires without a puncture, and have had a brand new couple of tires destroyed within 600km of installing the set.

One time is one too many for it to happen. I will always carry a spare, no matter the weight. I also carry a plug kit and obviously have a compressor in there as well.

Do you carry a winch? I've only used mine a handful of times, and yet I spent money and carry the weight around 100% of the time as well. Same principle applies..

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Around town I do not carry one because AAA is far too convenient. Whenever I am offroad I bring 2.

jadmt

ignore button user
Running local I don't see the need so much as unless you totally blow a sidewall you can just keep filling it until you get to a tire shop or home. On the Rubicon or dusy ershim or white rum trail or black bear pass etc probably a good idea. I have had very few flats on vehicles and none that would have stranded me that includes well over 1/2 million miles on motorcycles which incredibly enough I have never flatted on. I have picked up nails and screws but discovered them before actually having a flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles