How to mount a flatbed camper?

kmacafee

Adventurer
I also added these side plates. We experienced some very slight side movement on some rough off road trails. Never moves now.

ReluctantTraveler

I really like the pocket-style bolts that @IdaSHO designed for his camper (photos here). I believe he manufactured his own.

I've been searching for an existing aftermarket bracket like that with the durability to handle a heavy truck camper and coming up short. Any ideas from the community?

I like the idea of bolting over straps/tie-downs. It feels more secure. But I know it's hard to line up so I'm looking for something that will make that easier. As an alternative, I've considered adding "wings" or guides that would shift the camper into place as you back up into it.

On the topic of bolting: how do bolted-on truck campers keep water out? Is it simply a gravity thing (as in, water will just run off the bed and onto the ground), or are they sealed in some way?

ReluctantTraveler

I'm currently debating the merits of using something like a fastgun turnbuckle system, but attached internally in some compartments (the way you would with mounting bolts).

I'm likely over-thinking this. I'm also going to ask the flatbed manufacturer if they could craft something like what IdaSHO built for his camper, because that's just amazing!

juha_teuvonnen

Do you have a reason to keep the bed? I took the bed off my truck, ran 2x5 square tube side to side and used a spring mount, like you'd find on a tanker truck. This system has been tested for decades and is known to work well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne