New Bronco

ABBB

$21/hr doesn’t really get you that far. Health insurance, utilities, fuel, the cost of goods and services. Companies offering $15-25/hr a few years ago would’ve brought folks running in droves. Nowadays, with pandemic and political craziness lurking everywhere, not many people are eager to rush back out into the public for an okay wage. There’s also an irony to the fact that we’re discussing wages on a forum about the new Ford Bronco, one of the the newest big bad big boy toys on the market. How much of one’s monthly wage (at $21/hr, after taxes) would it take to make the monthly payment on a new Bronco. And of course it’s got to be all kitted out, because otherwise you’ll be the goof with the stock truck in the line of folks with ALL the gear. So that makes the dream all that much more out of reach.

I’m not saying people should turn their noses up at these opportunities, but to a degree I can understand the social and financial dynamics that are at play that may be influencing what we’re all seeing all around us.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Clark: “How can they have nothing for their children?”

Ellen: “Well, he’s been out of work for close to seven years.”

Clark: “In seven years, he couldn’t find a job?”

Ellen: “Catherine says he’s been holding out for a management position.”
Love it! Whenever we head out on the road, the first song we play is 'Holiday road' It's been tradition of ours for years now.

Yes, I know that quote is from Christmas Vacation.... It just reminded me of the 'Vacation' series.

jadmt

ignore button user
I don't understand? What are all these people doing for income? There can't be THAT many YouTuber or TikTok'ers?
It's the same thing in Canada too. Last month we were camping in a Provincial park and the concession store was closed.. Due to staff shortages.
Place I get my hair cut said they are short staffed cause they can't find anyone to work... Are all these people on welfare? The covid money ended a while ago, so they can't be sustaining on that...... How do they have money to survive without working?
they got conditioned not to work...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
$21/hr doesn’t really get you that far. Health insurance, utilities, fuel, the cost of goods and services. Companies offering $15-25/hr a few years ago would’ve brought folks running in droves. Nowadays, with pandemic and political craziness lurking everywhere, not many people are eager to rush back out into the public for an okay wage. There’s also an irony to the fact that we’re discussing wages on a forum about the new Ford Bronco, one of the the newest big bad big boy toys on the market. How much of one’s monthly wage (at $21/hr, after taxes) would it take to make the monthly payment on a new Bronco. And of course it’s got to be all kitted out, because otherwise you’ll be the goof with the stock truck in the line of folks with ALL the gear. So that makes the dream all that much more out of reach.

I’m not saying people should turn their noses up at these opportunities, but to a degree I can understand the social and financial dynamics that are at play that may be influencing what we’re all seeing all around us.
Right. But as opposed to making zero?

Where are the part time high school or university kids? Or the people just entering the workforce? You can't just be manager as soon as you graduate highschool...
How come there is no one for these jobs?

jadmt

ignore button user

Home depot provides health insurance, even for part timers...

ABBB

Right. But as opposed to making zero?

Where are the part time high school or university kids? Or the people just entering the workforce? You can't just be manager as soon as you graduate highschool...
How come there is no one for these jobs?

All I have to go on is my own experience and observations, and as someone who transitioned to remote work 28 months ago, a) I found some comfort and enjoyment in it, and b) I remain apprehensive about dealing with the public on account of pandemics and politics and the ongoing general stupidity (almost saw a fistfight on an airplane last week), I don’t blame anyone who is finding a way to survive and maintaining some mental balance for not wanting to throw that off. I also suspect parents aren’t leaning on their high school and college-aged kids the way some may have done in the past. Retirees aren’t rushing out for part time work as they may have done in the past. And still, why bother if your $21/hr won’t get you that new Sasquatch Bronco…

2.ooohhh

I've given up my extra part time job I used to hold for a little extra cash. My primary job has become so understaffed that I can now work 16 hours (limited by civil service regs) 7 days a week if I like. No extra fuel spent commuting and they are working on making it where I can choose to work from home several days a week. I've gone from making $100 a week to $40-$100 hourly. If that keeps up I might actually buy the wife a new bronco lol

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
All I have to go on is my own experience and observations, and as someone who transitioned to remote work 28 months ago, a) I found some comfort and enjoyment in it, and b) I remain apprehensive about dealing with the public on account of pandemics and politics and the ongoing general stupidity (almost saw a fistfight on an airplane last week), I don’t blame anyone who is finding a way to survive and maintaining some mental balance for not wanting to throw that off. I also suspect parents aren’t leaning on their high school and college-aged kids the way some may have done in the past. Retirees aren’t rushing out for part time work as they may have done in the past. And still, why bother if your $21/hr won’t get you that new Sasquatch Bronco…
Oh, remote work is one thing. Wife has been remote for 5+ years. I wish I could be remote.

But, a lot of jobs were not remote before the pandemic and transitioned to remote. Case in point, my wifes company had it's own multi story office building... not sure... maybe 8-9 stories? During the pandemic the office closed and everyone transferred to remote. Now they are leasing 1 floor in another building so people who want to work hybris can and dumped the 8-9 story building. I'm sure their overhead dropped dramatically.

But those jobs still exist. And I think a lot of companies have just switched to remote / hybrid work.

But not everyone is qualified to work for a company that offers remote, or some people prefer to be out of the house and working.

Just find the whole thing weird.

Anyway.........

:oops:

1000arms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles