2022 Ford F550 - DIY - Adventure Expedition Vehicle Build Thread

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
Thanks heimbig and thanks for the info.

I peaked at your build for a bit; nice rig.

Did you and your wife end up traveling as long and as far as you had planned? I'll have to loop back around towards the end of my build to chat about your international adventures.

We spent 2.5 years traveling to 57 countries, 14 months 'circumnavigating' Africa, then covid struck, we moved back to USA. See the facebook page below for our travel log. We hope to be back on the road one year from now but we'll only travel for 3 to 4 months at a time.

Vance Vanz

We spent 2.5 years traveling to 57 countries, 14 months 'circumnavigating' Africa, then covid struck, we moved back to USA. See the facebook page below for our travel log. We hope to be back on the road one year from now but we'll only travel for 3 to 4 months at a time.

Thats awesome, I'm jealous! Thanks for sharing the F.B. page. I will use it for inspiration on those long hard days/weeks in the shop when I'm so buried in the work that I begin to lose sight of why I'm doing the project.

I'm sorry COVID shut you two down. I'm glad to hear that you are going to reset and travel again. I may PM you at some point about travels if something comes up as I'm perusing your F.B. page.

Vance Vanz

Mock Up Floor:
After getting out the old trusty dusty straight edges, levels and lasers, along with: creating a mock up pivot, flex texting, crunching some numbers, and scratching our noggins a bit ;), the frame height and design were determined. This allowed me to mock up a floor at the proper height off of the chassis to start laying out the floor and associated floor cut-ins, in relation to the chassis and subframe design. I was also able to finalize the subframe drawings for fabrication.

Determining what bushing to use for the rear pivot took a bit of work, but this is where previous threads on the Forum, awesome members being super responsive to PM's (Thanks Ski_Bike_Camp), doing a bunch of digging and hounding several vendors for actual specs was needed and helpful.

Here are some pics of the mock up floor to determine locations, sizes and clearances for the floor cut-ins and wheel wells.
Floor Mock Up & Layout 2.jpegFloor Mock Up & Layout 3.jpegFloor Mock Up & Layout 4.jpegFloor Mock Up & Layout 5.jpeg

The mock up floor also allowed me to start measuring and conceptualizing how the side fairings for the camper will cover and tie into the cut-in boxes, wheel wells and fenders on the camper, as well as the finished lines on the cab.

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Floor Layout & Build:
Only after further scratching of the noggin and having to tweak things a couple of times to make sure all of the floor cut-ins would have proper clearances and needed space, not only on the outside with the chassis and subframe, but on the inside with the interior items, was I able to finalize the floor layout. OK, maybe it was many times of having to tweak things, but who's counting!

There is only so much you can do in excel or CAD during the planning and design phase. Sometimes you just don't know until you have everything sitting in front of you.

A particularly tricky layout spot was the stair cut-in box, getting it as close to the rear of the wheel well as possible, while also making sure the entry door would fit in-between the tight spot between the rear wheel well and rear MTB locker wall. Not to mention locating the electric steps on the cut-in box so the steps didn't run into the wheel well, fender, or mud flap, nor were they too far back where they wouldn't catch enough of the entry door. All of this while also ensuring the steps were mounted so they didn't exceed their maximum height allowance off of the ground and making sure the tread height/depth of the steps that will be constructed in the cut-in box also matched that of the electric steps. This was one of those multiplex doozies I had to stare at for awhile to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Here are some pics of cutting out the plywood for the floor
IMG_7211.jpegIMG_7212.jpegIMG_7214.jpegIMG_7216.jpeg

Carbon Fiber (CF) strips that will be inlaid in the core to help keep the butt end joints of the plywood together
IMG_7238.jpeg

And somehow no pictures of the cut, prepped and ready to go foam core. Oh well, maybe next time.

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Floor Core Build:
Here is the final product for the core of the floor that is ready to be epoxied and will be wrapped in carbon fiber and vacuum bagged.
IMG_7218.jpegIMG_7220.jpegIMG_7217.jpegIMG_7219.jpeg

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Sub Frame (Three Point):
Here are some photos of the sub frame after fabrication and prior to powder coating. Once the floor of the camper is complete, laid-up, I will mount it to the subframe and do some final flex testing and clearance checks. This will also allow me to finalize the locations and heights of the bump stops/bumpers for the rear pivot, as well as finalize the thickness of the pads for the camper.

Front of Subframe
Front Outriggers D.S. View.jpegFront Outriggers P.S. View.jpegOutrigger Close Up.jpegOutrigger Close Up-Weld.jpegOutrigger Close Up-End View.jpeg

Rear of Sub Frame
Rear Frame P.S. View.jpegRear Frame D.S. View.jpegRear Pivot D.S. View.jpeg

Rear Pivot (Removed)
Pivot Base & Top-Apart.jpegPivot Top-Apart.jpeg

Vance Vanz

Favor:

Hey All to those that may be following and/or come across this thread in the next few weeks.

I just talked with Warn yesterday and I was informed that the already out of stock for the past 6-7 months Warn 16.5TI-S winch, will now be out of stock until May of 2023. Does anyone have recommendations on a comparable brand/model recovery winch? Any recommendation coming from a product that you own and have used in the field would also be greatly appreciated.

I know there is a thread on the portal related to similar size winches, but I think it is a bit dated now.

I'll do some digging on my own, but I'm buried in CF layup this week.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
Favor:

Hey All to those that may be following and/or come across this thread in the next few weeks.

I just talked with Warn yesterday and I was informed that the already out of stock for the past 6-7 months Warn 16.5TI-S winch, will now be out of stock until May of 2023. Does anyone have recommendations on a comparable brand/model recovery winch? Any recommendation coming from a product that you own and have used in the field would also be greatly appreciated.

I know there is a thread on the portal related to similar size winches, but I think it is a bit dated now.

I'll do some digging on my own, but I'm buried in CF layup this week.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
On my F550 I have front and rear 18,000 pound superwinch installed since 2014. We've had it all over the US, Mexico, Africa, Middle East. no problems with the winch itself but poor aftermarket mounting of the control wiring resulted in the remote not working - easy to fix. it got a lot of hard work in Africa. Current model Superwinch 1518001 Tiger Shark 18000SR Synthetic Rope Winch says back in stock soon ?!?!?!

Vance Vanz

On my F550 I have front and rear 18,000 pound superwinch installed since 2014. We've had it all over the US, Mexico, Africa, Middle East. no problems with the winch itself but poor aftermarket mounting of the control wiring resulted in the remote not working - easy to fix. it got a lot of hard work in Africa. Current model Superwinch 1518001 Tiger Shark 18000SR Synthetic Rope Winch says back in stock soon ?!?!?!
Thanks again heimbig! I will take a look at it within the next few days.

Vance Vanz

Floor - Material Prep & CF Layup #1

Laying out some of the carbon fiber and consumables
#2.jpeg#3.jpeg#4.jpeg#5.jpeg

Shop all ready for the CF layup on the bottom side of the floor
67642959021__3B7DA6C9-1728-4429-B8C5-2AF62471B90F.jpeg

The late night aftermath
IMG_7344.jpeg

On a pump and time to call it a night
IMG_7345.jpegIMG_7346.jpeg

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Floor - Carbon Fiber

Peel Ply coming off
IMG_7360.jpeg

We finally have some carbon fiber on this project
IMG_7363.jpegIMG_7364.jpeg

Now time to flip over the floor and do it all over again :oops::cry::cautious:...............:poop:?

I have to send a shout out to my rotating late-night mid-week layup crew: Greg, Dan and Taylor. Thanks for hanging in there with me on these late nights FELLAS. If it wasn't for you, I don't know how I'd be getting these layups done. Hopefully your wives don't hate me, or kill me, before this project is done! Actually, now that I think about it, they may end up loving me for getting you out of the house so they have an evening to themselves ;)! See you on the next late night SUCKAS ?!

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Floor - Carbon Fiber Layup #2

I had a new addition to the late-night mid-week layup crew. Thanks so much for coming out and showing the boys how it's done Debbie! Your strength and finesse were much needed and appreciated ?.

Shop all ready for the CF layup on the top side of the floor
IMG_7377.jpegIMG_7378.jpeg

Vacuum bagged, cured and ready to fit onto the subframe
IMG_7392.jpeg

Next step, getting the floor onto the truck
IMG_7395.jpeg

So, I thought I would take a minute to share how the layups went on the floor. I think the floor will end up being the most time consuming single component on the entire build. If that is the case, I just completed the biggest single component on the project, whoo hoo, but we'll see ?.

The floor comprised of three separate layups, the core, the bottom side of CF and the top side of CF. I chose this process so I could wrap all of the side edges of the floor with CF. This way, all of the side edges of the floor act as structural I beams and the core is wrapped with a continuous layer of CF that is the same thickness. Given the span I have on my subframe, between the two front outriggers and the rear pivot, I wanted to ensure that my floor was slightly overbuilt-structurally solid. This is also why I chose to go with a thicker schedule of CF and two separate layers of CF for the floor.

The prep of materials for the core layup took the longest amount of time, especially given the number of cut-ins I have. Measuring and cutting out three layers of materials (two layers of plywood and one of core foam), steel inserts, in addition to three layers of consumables (peel ply, bleeder breather and vacuum bag), while ensuring all of the cut-ins lined up perfectly, was a process. The layup also required a bit of hustle by everyone, considering the number of pieces that all had to fit together tightly and squarely, while also ensuring all minor voids and gaps were filled to avoid any air pockets and ensure a solid bond. We used a combo of epoxy and thickened epoxy to make sure we had a good bond, in particular thickened epoxy on the foam and around the steel inserts.

The second layup of CF, for the bottom side of the floor, comprised of two layers of materials (two layers of CF) and three layers of consumables (peel ply, bleeder breather and vacuum bag). The only tough part about this layup was working with two layers of CF that had to be wetted out in stages. We rolled/folded back half of each top layer of CF at a time to access the bottom layer of CF, in order to sufficiently wet out the plywood and bottom layer of CF. We then wetted out the bottom side of the top layer of CF and rolled it back into place over the bottom layer of CF. This took a bit of finesse and many hands to make sure everything lined up perfectly given the number of cut-ins and the fact that the top layer of CF was also wrapping all of the 2" side edges of the floor. We then wet out the top layer completely. On this layup we had some initial vacuum bagging woes given the size of the layup and the number of pleats on the vacuum bag. I was eventually able to find all of the leaks and get it pulled down. It's good that I chose a resin/hardener with a longer pot life/cure time. This was also crucial for the first layup on the core materials.

The third layup, top side of CF for the floor, had the same materials and consumables as the second layup, except the other layer of CF was wrapped on all the side edges. This layup went pretty smooth except for the vacuum bagging again. I had another bout of chasing leaks. This time I was scratching my head a bit and even started to question whether I had an issue with my pump, if a seal on one of my hoses was bad, etc................, you know, when you have tried everything and it's still not working. Heck, we even pulled up 3/4 of the vacuum bag and blocked up part of the floor to make sure a seam on the layup table didn't have an issue. After re-bagging it, replacing-loosening-and/or-retightening any fittings and re-pressing all of the sealant tape for the hundredth time, I finally got the vacuum to pull down. Sometimes it is frustrating when you have used quality materials, all surfaces are prepped and cleaned properly and your tools are solid and things are still not working. We'll chalk it up to the universe testing my patience and perseverance ??! Maybe the universe also wants to make sure that I feel like I have REALLY earned this build when it is all done ?. Regardless of the minor "messiness" as I like to say, the layups all came out great.

Most everything moving forward related to CF will be layed up using resin infusion.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Very ambitious build... looks like you are making great progress!

Do you have carbon/composite building experience? What weight/thickness of cloth did you use on your floor? What is the core foam?

Vance Vanz

Floor Materials

I was on the fence as to whether I should share detailed and specific materials that I used on my build. Please know that when I share specific materials, build processes, clearances, etc., related to my build, they are intended to be used as a reference point only. Each build is unique and therefore requires its own specific materials, build processes and clearances.

It was helpful for me during the planning, design and decision-making process of my build to have specific and detailed information to reference. Sometimes it was simply reassurance that the direction I was headed in was within industry standards or norms-if such a thing exists. Thanks to all of those that are/were willing to post more detail-oriented information, and/or provide it when asked. Sometimes this information is priceless. At times I will also include information as to why I chose specific materials. Please use any of my more specific and detailed information as you wish and at your own risk ;)!

Floor Core
  • 1/2" marine grade plywood
    • Top and bottom
  • 1" H-100 Divinycell
    • I was going to run H-80 throughout the entire camper, but do to COVID/supply chain issues at that time, I could not get enough 4x8' sheets of H-80. A supplier was nice enough to give me a substantial discount on H-100 to fulfill the total amount I needed. I'm using H-100 in the floor, cut-in boxes for the floor and in the floor of the cabover/bed area. The remaining walls/camper will be H-80.
  • 3/8" x 1.5" A36 flat bar steel inlaid in the floor, front and back
    • I have two steel bars in the front and the back of the floor, a total of four, that basically span the entire width of the floor. They act as a large nut that spans the entire width of the floor and will be drilled and tapped from the bottom side of the floor in order to mount the camper. This also provides a thermal free mount for the camper, no bolts penetrating completely through the floor. I will use four 1/2" grade 8 bolts in each mounting point of the subframe, a total of twelve 1/2" bolts to mount the camper. I chose 3/8" thick steel to match/exceed the rating of the 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Some habitat box manufactures use 1/4" steel and 3/8" bolts for mounting the camper in a similar method.
  • Proset: LAM-135 Resin and LAM-229 Hardener
    • I wanted an epoxy with a long working time for my large vacuum bag layups. Proset also has one other LAM resin/hardener combo with a longer working time than the one I chose. The one I selected worked fine for my layups.
  • West Systems 406 Collodial Silica
    • Used for thickening the epoxy and filling any voids in-between layups

Carbon Fiber for the Floor
  • Plain Weave 9.5oz (as the base layer) and a Biaxial Weave (+45-45) 23.89oz (as the top/second layer)
    • Limited availability do to COVID/supply chain issues at the time and wanting the skin to be a little thicker, as this was the floor, put me in the 33oz range. For carbon fiber composite panels, most run between 20-30oz's of CF for the skin of the panel.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior