Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Found this random photo in Land Rover Owner, it wasn't part of an article so there wasn't any explanation of any of the details. Some interesting things - the rear window has been replaced with diamondplate. For security? The small windows on either side of the rear door have mylar insulation inside them. For security, insulation or both? There's a plywood cargo platform in the rear receiver. But no cargo on it? Spare on the roof, I do that often. Jerry can on the side? Common in the Land Rover world but not so much in the Jeep world. And what's that bag hanging on the ladder for?

DryBag2(1).jpg

The writing on the bag is "Ocean Pack 30" so I searched that and it's a dry bag:

I wonder why it's hanging on the ladder? Anyone have an idea what might be in it that caused them to hang it out there?

Dry bags show up regularly in the Land Rover magazines:

DryBag(1).jpg

A week or so ago I received a sale email from Major Surplus featuring several dry bags:

DryBagsMajorSurplus.jpg

Anyone use dry bags as part of their overlanding kit? Anyone hang them outside like the photo above?

Correus

Adventurer
Found this random photo in Land Rover Owner, it wasn't part of an article so there wasn't any explanation of any of the details. Some interesting things - the rear window has been replaced with diamondplate. For security? The small windows on either side of the rear door have mylar insulation inside them. For security, insulation or both? There's a plywood cargo platform in the rear receiver. But no cargo on it? Spare on the roof, I do that often. Jerry can on the side? Common in the Land Rover world but not so much in the Jeep world. And what's that bag hanging on the ladder for?

DryBag2(1).jpg

The writing on the bag is "Ocean Pack 30" so I searched that and it's a dry bag:

I wonder why it's hanging on the ladder? Anyone have an idea what might be in it that caused them to hang it out there?

Dry bags show up regularly in the Land Rover magazines:

DryBag(1).jpg

A week or so ago I received a sale email from Major Surplus featuring several dry bags:

DryBagsMajorSurplus.jpg

Anyone use dry bags as part of their overlanding kit? Anyone hang them outside like the photo above?

Oh WOW!!! I know Vicky T - we serve on a vintage LR club board together.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Land Rover/Mahindra style soft tops for Wranglers?

Exmoor offers replacement frames and canvas for Land Rover soft tops. These soft tops don't fold down like Jeep soft tops, but they do have roll-up sides, which is a feature I really like.

SoftTopFrame.jpg

SoftTopFrame2.jpg

Very similar to the Land Rover soft top, the Indian Mahindra Thar came with a fixed frame top over which a non-folding canvas top was fitted.

TharSoftTop.jpg

Armoro, an Indian automotive aftermarket company, offers an openable version canvas top that retails for only $245 US. It fits over the factory frame and has roll-up sides: https://armoro.com/collections/mahi...oducts/mahindra-thar-openable-canvas-soft-top

ArmoroTharOpenableSoftTop.jpg

The Thar being very similar in size to the CJ/YJ/TJ, I thought perhaps a Thar soft top could be adapted to those Jeeps so I looked for a source for replacement factory soft top frames for the Thar. I didn't find any, probably because in India it's easy and inexpensive to have something like that fabricated.

Seems to me an inexpensive soft top like this with roll-up sides for the Wrangler would be popular.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'll leave it to you guys to comment on this idea from the June issue of Land Rover Owner and whether it has any applicability to Jeeps (or to any practical vehicle):

ClassyCamper.jpg

A little searching turned up more images of the concept:

Quarterre1.jpg

Quarterre2.jpg

Quarterre3.jpg

Quarterre4.jpg

Quarterre5.jpg

Another idea from the same designers... if you don't have your back seat in, would a tool panel installed behind the door be useful?

Quarterre6.jpg

Not sure any of the above are practical but they are interesting to think about.

1000arms

I'll leave it to you guys to comment on this idea from the June issue of Land Rover Owner and whether it has any applicability to Jeeps (or to any practical vehicle):

ClassyCamper.jpg

A little searching turned up more images of the concept:

Quarterre1.jpg

Quarterre2.jpg

Quarterre3.jpg

Quarterre4.jpg

Quarterre5.jpg

Another idea from the same designers... if you don't have your back seat in, would a tool panel installed behind the door be useful?

Quarterre6.jpg

Not sure any of the above are practical but they are interesting to think about.
Hey @ReluctantTraveler, maybe you can make use of the "soft-topped expanding back of the vehicle" concept? At least during rainy weather when it will only be so cold?

or perhaps:

Looks like an attempt to follow in the VW Doubleback's footsteps.

or

Last edited:

Charles R

Adventurer
You know, that hitch pod gives me an interesting idea...

What if you made a slight extension that uses a rear hatch/liftgate as it's "roof"? What I'm imagining is... you open up your rear hatch. you take a pod structure that then uses the hatch latch as a bottom anchor and seals up to the open hatch area. You then partially close the hatch down into the pod structure, and use its half of the latch to lock the pod structure into place.

Of course I can see it still being weak and flimsy. But an extension to a receiver hitch to take the weight. And then just using the hatch latches to help with the sealing might make it all work a bit better.

Last edited:

1000arms

You know, that hitch pod gives me an interesting idea...

What if you made a slight extension that uses a rear hatch/liftgate as it's "roof"? What I'm imagining is... you open up your rear hatch. you take a pod structure that then uses the hatch latch as a bottom anchor and seals up to the open hatch area. You then partially close the hatch down into the pod structure, and use its half of the latch to lock the pod structure into place.

Of course I can see it still being weak and flimsy. But an extension to a receiver hitch to take the weight. And then just using the hatch latches to help with the sealing might make it all work a bit better.
What if the receiver-hitch-"pod" was kept kept fairly thin and vertical behind the vehicle for travel (like a Murphy Bed, or "RTT", mounted vertically behind the vehicle), but was opened up for camping?

If one was willing to put some screw-snaps in to the vehicle (and "pod"), it would be pretty easy to sew a fabric outer-seal that connected the vehicle to the "pod" while travelling (and while camped). One could even design the seal to also use shock cord to help tighten the seal on the vehicle and on the pod.

Just design it so that one would open the rear-hatch/liftgate in to the opened-for-camping "pod".

One could also include a ground-touching fabric-awning for dressing/standing/bathing/waste-elimination/...?

Put the needed lights on the pod, use supporting-legs on the pod, and have a good mattress wherever one goes! :)

This type of design would minimize modifications to the vehicle, and keep the security of the closed rear-hatch/liftgate while away from the vehicle. :)

pith helmet

Some neat ideas. I hate to further gum up mr scherbs thread but it’s related….

F84B0C88-C212-4EAE-A30F-232805DA09C9.jpeg89C66F7B-EB43-47A3-9903-BA66D3B47B37.jpegBA230A34-6CE0-449A-9804-D640220F6F99.jpeg

I have posted this elsewhere. A work in progress kind of along the lines of @1000arms ideas…the gate opens within. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to try it out yet but I figure that a dusty tailgate gate may be an issue.

Winterhawk

The dozens of small mods listed in this thread are what I think people might be interested in doing to their Jeeps. This thread is more about those things than about Alpine windows and rear "barn doors". But some Jeeps do have those things too ;).

SafariAtDusk_zpsxcagwamw.jpg

DonnyFinal1_zpsjablnjkj.jpg

If people don't find this thread interesting and possibly useful, I'll be more than happy to stop posting ideas here, just let me know. But with 124,000 views so far as I write this, I suspect people are finding it at least interesting if not actually useful as they plan mods for their Jeeps.
Thought I'd chime in after following this for some time. Please keep posting, I find these ideas very interesting and they spur creativeness. I must admit though that I dearly miss my old Land Rover and because of this thread I'm actively looking for another, and will probably sell my Jeep down the road after finding what I'm looking for. I've owned 3 Jeeps and love them, but my best off road memories were in a Landy.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thought I'd chime in after following this for some time. Please keep posting, I find these ideas very interesting and they spur creativeness. I must admit though that I dearly miss my old Land Rover and because of this thread I'm actively looking for another, and will probably sell my Jeep down the road after finding what I'm looking for. I've owned 3 Jeeps and love them, but my best off road memories were in a Landy.
Thanks. Every time I think this thread is getting old and maybe I should stop I get another issue of one of the Land Rover magazines in the mail and almost always there's something in there I think will be of interest to Jeep folks, so until interesting ideas stop showing up in the LR magazines I'll keep posting :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier