New Bronco

85_Ranger4x4

I love how the overseas Toyota's just get these ridiculous, god like, reputations when we have some quite nice vehicles here.

Honestly, the overseas ratings are whacky to me. My guess is a Toyota Hilux is not a beefier truck than a domestic half ton, but they are simply given ratings that would be considered insane in the US. Take a look at the Australian Ranger. It weighs the same as a domestic Ranger, its not like its built on some ridiculous chassis, but is then given payload ratings that make a US half ton owner blush.

Our 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks are ridiculously stout.

Payload is only slightly higher on the overseas Ranger, it also uses a different rear axle.

Half ton payload has generally not been far from compact/mid-size since forever.

Fun fact: the Ranger at the Ranger launch at the Detroit auto show in 2018 had a global axle under it.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I love how the overseas Toyota's just get these ridiculous, god like, reputations when we have some quite nice vehicles here.

Honestly, the overseas ratings are whacky to me. My guess is a Toyota Hilux is not a beefier truck than a domestic half ton, but they are simply given ratings that would be considered insane in the US. Take a look at the Australian Ranger. It weighs the same as a domestic Ranger, its not like its built on some ridiculous chassis, but is then given payload ratings that make a US half ton owner blush.

Our 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks are ridiculously stout.
On the Ranger the rear axle and leaf packs are different- not sure on the frame.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I saw an Austrian couple with a Hilux ,quiet diesel,manual trans with a composite European cabover. It had oversize tires and an extended cab. No chance a domestic Tacoma could handle that weight. This truck moved out and cornered great in front of me. Who knows if it had frame buildup? I sure it had an extra leaf out back.Toyota could sell a million of those here if the EPA would let them.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Awww, come on, you’re just having some fun with us. ?

Current exchange rate of .78 means your $72k Cdn truck is about $57k USD, so his quote is pretty close to your prices, yeah?

It’s your combo PST and GST that’s additionally bumping your prices up, right?
No PST in Alberta. Just GST. But taxes, PDI, Freight I don't think are included in that cost.

Also, I *think* Americans usually pay less tax and earn more than Canucks do so, have more disposable income. (Our tax rate is around 30-35%)

Maybe I'm wrong there. Can't really say I've done much if any research on that matter.

85_Ranger4x4

I saw an Austrian couple with a Hilux ,quiet diesel,manual trans with a composite European cabover. It had oversize tires and an extended cab. No chance a domestic Tacoma could handle that weight. This truck moved out and cornered great in front of me. Who knows if it had frame buildup? I sure it had an extra leaf out back.Toyota could sell a million of those here if the EPA would let them.

Euro campers don't play fair either.

200hp moves my lifted Ranger/Skamper fine though.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You also get a LOT more capacity with the domestics.....if you have a trailer or a slide in camper a 70 isn't really an option. Even IF it fell within the towing / payload capacity of the 70, say a small trailer or a 4WC, can you imagine drive a rig with 130 hp that weighs 7000 lbs? Works in the outback, not on our interstates.

Question for you Nick…. Have you ever driven a 70 series? Any diesel Landcruiser?

I‘m not trying to change your opinion, just qualify it. You seem to be arguing fairly hard for the negative position here, and unless you have actual real world experience in those vehicles, your points are moot.

I have owned and driven plenty. I dig ‘em. I drove a 3B powered 60 series from Canada to southern Mexico, and all around the western USA (including a lot of time in western Colorado) as well as lots of time in Australia and loved every minute of it. There were a LOT of minutes mind you, but I’m not always in a hurry.

nickw

Adventurer
Question for you Nick…. Have you ever driven a 70 series? Any diesel Landcruiser?

I‘m not trying to change your opinion, just qualify it. You seem to be arguing fairly hard for the negative position here, and unless you have actual real world experience in those vehicles, your points are moot.

I have owned and driven plenty. I dig ‘em. I drove a 3B powered 60 series from Canada to southern Mexico, and all around the western USA (including a lot of time in western Colorado) as well as lots of time in Australia and loved every minute of it. There were a LOT of minutes mind you, but I’m not always in a hurry.
I've driven an older 60 with a 2H and I owned a 1978 FJ40 with a really well tuned 2F and a FZJ for a short stint. I know the 2F's have more power than the 1HZ's and are generally considered higher performing, so based on those experiences, I've extrapolated (without question) but I think it's well founded position. Now it's not fair to say "you've never driven one you don't know", I don't need to drive it to know it's going to massively lack performance while fully burdened and it's towing and payload numbers are published metrics.

I've spent a lot of time in a Merc 240D, 4-spd manual 88 hp, 4244 GVWR, .02 hp/lb absolute dog

Owned a VW with a TD 6-spd manual 140 hp, 4189 GVWR, .033 hp/lb, nice little rig

My FJ40 4-spd manual, 135 hp, 5071 GVWR, .026 hp/lb

FZJ80 auto, 212 hp, 6746 GVWR, .031 hp/lb

70 series loaded up, 5-spd manual, 130 hp, 7040, .018 hp/lb

That tells at least part of the story, a loaded 70 is going to be really slow.

Sorry if I am coming across like that, I think 70's are the coolest rigs there are, I just struggle to see how they fit into most peoples lives....I had the same issue with my FJ40, awesome rig, but sold it since it just sat....tried a long drive over the pass once and about froze to death.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That tells at least part of the story, a loaded 70 is going to be really slow.

Sorry if I am coming across like that, I think 70's are the coolest rigs there are, I just struggle to see how they fit into most peoples lives....

I had the same issue with my FJ40, awesome rig, but sold it since it just sat....tried a long drive over the pass once and about froze to death.

All dialogue is good, just wondered what your real world experience is with 70s. The smiles per gallon factor helps bump the “butt dyno” numbers substantially. Race cars they are not, but if you check out some of the modded ones down in Oz, they are monsters!

I once drove one of my 2F powered 40s over a huge pass in BC in winter. I drove the whole 7 hour trip inside my mountaineering sleeping bag! The clutch/brake thing was a bit tricky, but I was about 21 so didn’t really care about brakes much?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
And back to Broncos… I’m starting to really want mine to show up. I could sell my Sequoia when it does, and being in the middle of building a new house and shop, the $15,000 I could get for it would really help out. Still not a peep out of Furd after close to 6 months. I’m totally not surprised, but am hoping for a miracle.

Same boat as you. 7/19/20 reservation with order (s) in about as early as you could. They haven't done any scheduling for a while even though they were supposed to do a big scheduling cycle back in April. The MY23 order bank is opening up in August and production starts in November. There's planned shutdowns at MAP in July so not a lot of production. That leaves scheduling for August, September, and October that I would assume they would want to be done with before the MY23 order banks open mid-August. They still have a metric-******** ton of them sitting around in lots waiting on chips, etc. Just seems to me they are doing nothing but digging themselves a deeper hole everyday. Hell of a way to run a railroad...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I did a ‘22 order in January. They said “expect 6-8 months”. I figured 10-12 is more realistic, but I am still hoping to hear they have a date for me soon. On a positive note, MSRP keeps going up on them (mine has risen by over $4,000 since order), and my lease payment drops every time the MSRP goes up due to residual percentages.

ABBB

Does anyone think the delays in build dates/deliveries may be a result of Ford slowing production to address known issues (recalls and lawsuits)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dougnuts

Does anyone think the delays in build dates/deliveries may be a result of Ford slowing production to address known issues (recalls and lawsuits)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, that would be totally outside the norm for Ford, and other manufacturers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles