New Bronco

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Care to elaborate?

Careful what you ask for?

Well, when I joined this relatively small community almost 15 years ago, the mindset of members was much more geared towards actual “overland expeditions”. I was driving my diesel 60 series too and from Central America, in a similar vein to a lot of posters. Now fast forward to today, and the membership is 10x what it was, and the vast majority of folks on here consider “#overlanding” to be “building” a rig with every item on the “checklist” in order to be #digital nomads at their local state park or maybe BLM lands a half days drive from home. Don’t even get me started on “soft-roading”. I think I threw up a little just saying that word.

Don’t get me wrong, I‘m not saying there is anything inherently bad about this, but it’s a totally different thing than grabbing a cheap cooler, MSR stove and a basic toolkit and throwing an old air mattress in the back of your rig and getting a few stamps in your passport.

I have changed my priorities as well, and now camp out of one of our custom Airstreams, or in a shiny new truck camper with lots of comforts, but I use these rigs to access back country hunting and fishing spots. I haven’t done a trip worthy of being talked about on here in probably close to 6-7 years. That’s why I don’t spend nearly as much time on ExPo anymore. I call it what it is… car camping.

85_Ranger4x4

One ton domestics are running close to $90,000 these days for anything with options, so I don’t think cost would be that big of a stumbling block. The desire for a lazyboy with a bed might be hard to get past for the huddled masses though?

I’ve come to the conclusion that the original mindset of this place has changed significantly, and my likings are no longer the norm here. Feel free to flame away. I’ve got my Nomex undies on.

You can order a pretty decent one for around $50k though (gas)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Careful what you ask for?

Well, when I joined this relatively small community almost 15 years ago, the mindset of members was much more geared towards actual “overland expeditions”. I was driving my diesel 60 series too and from Central America, in a similar vein to a lot of posters. Now fast forward to today, and the membership is 10x what it was, and the vast majority of folks on here consider “#overlanding” to be “building” a rig with every item on the “checklist” in order to be #digital nomads at their local state park or maybe BLM lands a half days drive from home. Don’t even get me started on “soft-roading”. I think I threw up a little just saying that word.

Don’t get me wrong, I‘m not saying there is anything inherently bad about this, but it’s a totally different thing than grabbing a cheap cooler, MSR stove and a basic toolkit and throwing an old air mattress in the back of your rig and getting a few stamps in your passport.

I have changed my priorities as well, and now camp out of one of our custom Airstreams, or in a shiny new truck camper with lots of comforts, but I use these rigs to access back country hunting and fishing spots. I haven’t done a trip worthy of being talked about on here in probably close to 6-7 years. That’s why I don’t spend nearly as much time on ExPo anymore. I call it what it is… car camping.
I would agree with that statement.

To be transparent I haven't done any 'overlanding' as defined by X Overland. Which is why I never post about any of my 'trips'. Nor is my truck modified like you mention above. So no need for me to have any kind of build thread. Want to see what my truck looks like? Look at the other 13,852 F150's you saw today. Mine looks the same.

I do come here to read about the trips and adventures. Maybe one day have a long haul one myself worthy of sharing.

But, I do find a lot of the car camping stories and comradery can offer tips, tricks, advice etc that I can use in the meantime...

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
One ton domestics are running close to $90,000 these days for anything with options, so I don’t think cost would be that big of a stumbling block. The desire for a lazyboy with a bed might be hard to get past for the huddled masses though?

I’ve come to the conclusion that the original mindset of this place has changed significantly, and my likings are no longer the norm here. Feel free to flame away. I’ve got my Nomex undies on.
Why would anyone flame for that?

nickw

Adventurer

You also get a LOT more capacity with the domestics.....if you have a trailer or a slide in camper a 70 isn't really an option. Even IF it fell within the towing / payload capacity of the 70, say a small trailer or a 4WC, can you imagine drive a rig with 130 hp that weighs 7000 lbs? Works in the outback, not on our interstates. Yes the 70's can be had with a V8 diesel, but you get into even higher priced rigs and the extreme simplicity is no more.

Your 05 Dodge, drivetrain wise, is every bit as reliable and much more robust than that of a 70....much higher towing / payload, higher performance, easier to repair, more comfortable, etc. etc. A 70 is a 3rd rig for most people, a niche vehicle that is the more $ than a basic 1 Ton domestic.....more reliable, probably, but much less capable of handling typical big truck duties.

skrypj

You also get a LOT more capacity with the domestics.....if you have a trailer or a slide in camper a 70 isn't really an option. Even IF it fell within the towing / payload capacity of the 70, say a small trailer or a 4WC, can you imagine drive a rig with 130 hp that weighs 7000 lbs? Works in the outback, not on our interstates. Yes the 70's can be had with a V8 diesel, but you get into even higher priced rigs and the extreme simplicity is no more.

Your 05 Dodge, drivetrain wise, is every bit as reliable and much more robust than that of a 70....much higher towing / payload, higher performance, easier to repair, more comfortable, etc. etc. A 70 is a 3rd rig for most people, a niche vehicle that is the more $ than a basic 1 Ton domestic.....more reliable, probably, but much less capable of handling typical big truck duties.

I love how the overseas Toyota's just get these ridiculous, god like, reputations when we have some quite nice vehicles here.

Honestly, the overseas ratings are whacky to me. My guess is a Toyota Hilux is not a beefier truck than a domestic half ton, but they are simply given ratings that would be considered insane in the US. Take a look at the Australian Ranger. It weighs the same as a domestic Ranger, its not like its built on some ridiculous chassis, but is then given payload ratings that make a US half ton owner blush.

Our 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks are ridiculously stout.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I love how the overseas Toyota's just get these ridiculous, god like, reputations when we have some quite nice vehicles here.

Honestly, the overseas ratings are whacky to me. My guess is a Toyota Hilux is not a beefier truck than a domestic half ton, but they are simply given ratings that would be considered insane in the US. Take a look at the Australian Ranger. It weighs the same as a domestic Ranger, its not like its built on some ridiculous chassis, but is then given payload ratings that make a US half ton owner blush.

Mmmm... stout
269px-Guinness_7686a.jpg

simpsons-dreamy.gif

nickw

Adventurer

Totally, a large part of that is ride quality, you look at running gear, like axles....they are sim, but 95% of folks would HATE a rig that rides like a 70....which is POOR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier