What to know before buying used Subaru Outback?

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Subaru aficionados,
This is a thread where your insights will be most welcome. And others as well.

Due to not so good economy and gas situation I voted to not to get a new truck (F-150 or Nissan Titan). My feelings were hurt but the rational me told me to suck it up and as they say on Twitter, the facts don't care about your (my) feelings.
In my previous life I was a kid growing up in Chicago during the Great Depression... So I am a bit paranoid about the situations like this one. (please lets not go into politics here).

One fact is that my dd, the Saab 9-5 wagon is still going but kind of struggling. The cost of repair is more than the car itself ($500). It's been a magnificent car and I hate to see him gone but it's becoming quite real.
It is roomy, comfy, great on gas and fast (was at least).
That bad part is that it has a low on ground and parts are expansive... Not many shops will touch it.

I love similar architecture (wagons) and would like my second car to be like that as well.

I have come to a conclusion that a Subaru Outback will be a good choice for me for a few years.
It's roomy, it's got high set, AWD and parts seem to be easer to get.
And it's a Subaru.

What it needs to do well:
- Daily driving
- Upland hunting trips up in the Northeast and the prairies. (ME, NH, VA, NY, ND, SD)
- It has to be able to handle some dirt roads and long trips.
- Carrying adulates, possible baby, one dog (or two) and gear during those trips.
- It will have to tow on long distance trips. No more than 2000 lbs. ( I might get a small trailer to move my dog(s) in and put the gears on it so I could free up the interior)
- Reasonable mpg.
- Reasonable comfort though I don't care about fancy stuff. Simpler is better.

These are absolutely important requirements.

I think, based on my research, an Outback can handle all that.

However, I am looking into used ones, and there are a few trims, and engines, and gearboxes I don't know what to look and what avoid.
My budget is around $12k... might push it to $15 (unlikely).

So given all the req. I have and the budget I have got what is that have to be aware of before getting a used Outback.
A few key point / questions:

- Mileage vs year
- 4th Gen vs 5th Gen (though it is unlikely I can get a 5th gen in that price range)
- 2.5 vs 3.6. Some say 2.5 won't handle too much load.
- CVT - 5AT. Some say the Subaru CVT in the 4th gen sucks so it's better to get a 3.6 as it comes with a proven 5AT and better central diff. (is this even true?)
- What is "too high" mileage?
- What year should I avoid?
- What is the most problematic area / parts in used Outbacks
- What are the most obvious signs of the car being bad?
- Anything else?

Please let me know if there is other stuff I need to know before becoming a Subaru owner.

As I said this will be my "transitional" car. I don't want an old truck or jeep or suv. If I get one, and I will, it has to be new.
This thread is strictly about the Subaru Outback. Other wagon suggestions are ok such as Volvo Cross country or something.

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Couple miscellaneous thoughts, from someone owning his fourth Subaru outback.

I believe the tow ratings aren’t significantly different between the two different engine sizes, so that’s something you want to look into. On a long drive yesterday, we were passed in the opposite direction by two Subaru outbacks that each were pulling flatbed trailers loaded up with lots of gear. They both seem to be maintaining a good highway speed.

Buying a used one with low mileage is going to be a challenge because people tend to drive the heck out of these. Still, any one under about 150,000 miles should be good for another five years or so depending on your usage.

Your gas mileage should be excellent with the four-cylinder engine. Driving our four-cylinder fully loaded with gear and two adults at highway speeds consistently gives us about 31 to 33 miles per gallon. If you have to carry a lot of gear, you’ll likely consider putting a rocket box on the roof. That’ll knock down your gas mileage by about 3 miles per gallon or so.

We’ve had both the four and the six models, and while the six cylinder had more powerful acceleration (actually scary fast pickup), we’ve never really been disappointed with the ability of the four-cylinder to quickly and safely pass other vehicles and merge off of highway entry ramps.

I believe one of the problems with some of the older six cylinder engines was that they had valve leakage problems. If I recall correctly this had to do with bad gaskets, or gaskets somehow wearing out. We had one with this problem but just kept on adding oil to it as needed.

The one thing I can think of that you should look out for in the older vehicles is, if I have this right, the CV boots. They tend to wear out and need to be replaced, and if aren’t replaced appropriately can cause other front end issues. We’ve never had any really expensive repairs necessitated by owning our outbacks, and that’s why we are on our fourth one.

We’ve had them going back to 1998, replaced our first one because it had an engine fire due to improper repairs by the dealer, had one for a summer use only car and replaced that when we got rid of our summer house, and replaced the third one simply because we wanted to move up (and could afford to do so) to one that had the newer, better safety features.

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
A couple more thoughts.

As far as which years to avoid with the four-cylinder engines, I think only the maybe 2017 to 2021 outbacks had a lower than average reliability issue.

As far as comfort, we’ve enjoyed our outbacks for comfortable drives as long as over 600 miles in one day. The outback‘s are much more comfortable than the foresters, in our opinions.

As far as driving outbacks on dirt, gravel, or forest roads, because of their great ground clearance and grippy all wheel drive, they are surprisingly capable.

One thing to pay attention to on a used rig is the condition of the tires. With an all wheel drive, at least with a Subaru, the wear on the tires has to be equal enough to not mess up the sensitive all wheel drive system . If you have uneven wear on one or more of the tires, you could have to replace all four of them!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The 2010-2012 had the old EJ and first gen cvt. I had a 2010 the EJ was finally pretty bulletproof the new 2.5 suffered pretty serious issues till late 2015. Some of the 2010-12’z got junk Torque converters that locked up and dumped debris into the cvt and junked the cvt. The 2015’s got a updated cvt with lower reverse gearing which fixed a issue of pre 15’s getting stuck ie no ability to spin tires or climb over stuff in reverse the cvt would stall. My 2010 got stuck in the ski parking lot a few times required me to kick mud flap ice chunks out from under the tires to back out of my parking spot?‍♂️.
Regardless of yr the front gear box diff plug and the cvt fill plugs for some stupid reason get mixed up on a regular basis resulting in drained cvts and gear oil put in the cvt. Lots of junked subaru cvts in nice cars due to flunkie diff services. Yes it trashes the cvt.

The 2016’s and newer are probably the most sorted the 2010’s-2012’s being better than the 13-15’s regarding bad parts and crap factory issues.

The biggest Subaru negative is they loose ground clearance FAST when loaded. My Legacy had far less squat than my OB when loaded for similar trips. I ran a 4x6 life time trailer with the OB we were typically 1200-1500lbs on the trailer. 16-18mpg with the 2.5 was my go anywhere weight. Did fine. I also towed my 21ft racing sailboat which was 8.5ft wide about roof line high and with trailer around 1900lbs. Towed fine but worked hard on climbs. My prior GT Legacy 5spd actually handled better towing but cooling was a bigger issue. The 2010 cvt 2.5 had way way better cooling capacity so I didn’t watch it as much but still was cautious on hot climbs.

If I were buying new today? Ford Maverick or Bronc sport.
Used? Mehh I would put the VW SUV thing as better quality and engine/transmission over a used cvt Subaru.

My rule used cars Lexus, Mercedes, Toyota

New cars Subaru, Ford ?

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Is it correct to assume that a cvt in 4th gen Subaru is matter of a luck? It can have no problem, at least until 200K, or can die at 80K.

As I heard the 2010-2013 3.6 Outback uses a 5 speed coupled with a central diff that is more mechanical than the central diffs in the 2.5 with cvt that involve more electrinos. Thus it is more reliable.
Is this a silly myth or real deal?

As far as towing goes this is pretty similar what I'll be towing., with the gear and one kayak mounted on the top. I am quite sure this won't even reach 1600 lbs.
I want to free out the inside from the outdoor gear and only leave stuff I'll use as I drive.

1653680456389.png

I am not necessarily against the 2.5 + cvt, I just want to be confident it will handle it and won't die in a year or two.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Your trailer is like mine but probably way less weight. Mine is built to haul a atv 900lbs empty. Yours looks lighter. The 3.6 5spd runs the Nissan 5spd it’s pretty bulletproof but my Expedition at 400hp gets better mileage than the 3.6 on the 5spd. My OB was typically 20-21mpg summers in town and 18-19 winters. Road trips no trailer or roof box 26-27 mpg. 4x6 with nothing on the top ie low drag mode 18-20mpg trip mileage. Trailer with stuff on its top ie more draggy 16-18mpg.
Just two bikes and box on roof was 18-19mpg.

My Expedition does 18 around town, 22-23 road trips. Last identical trip subaru vs Expedition same trailer and gear we averaged 21mpg in the truck?.

Don’t go Subaru for big fuel savings unless you pack like a back packer and keep the roof gear limited to a sleek box. Otherwise your mileage is getting into modern full sized rig zone.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My sleek long /narrow ski box was a 1mph hit at 70+ road trips. My 18ft canoe was 2-3mpg hit on the roof. Nakid empty 4x6 at rear window sill height 900lbs was 18-21mpg. Towed great just had to manage rear sag / weight if I wanted any ground clearance.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Honestly VW has better transmissions and engines than Subaru especially if shopping used. VW owners are more dealer service types too. Subaru people don’t maintain them.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Don’t laugh but the GLK 350 is in your price range. After taking ownership of a 2005 SLK 350 and have neighbors with ancient merc suvs with 200,000+ on them. I would find a grandma owned GLK in a heart beat. My local guy does all my service stuff the SLK has been better than the subaru and built like a brick crap house.

Don’t laugh go find a GLK toss BFG trail terrains on it you’ll have a beast mode rig that easily does everything and built well. Nice power solid transmission ?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
BTW the Subarus have a leaky tank pump seal (age) also. Same as the GLK

this guy does a nice job talking about it.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
If you're tall like me 6'4" I can't even get into the door of an Outback and the seats are mounted too low to the floor like 4 Runners. I much prefer the Foresters but the seats suck IMO. My neighbor had to trade in his Forester for a six cylinder Outback for towing a very modest travel trailer and he struggles to get in and out of his Outback. He's 6'3". I told him to go get a Tahoe and enjoy driving again.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If you're tall like me 6'4" I can't even get into the door of an Outback and the seats are mounted too low to the floor like 4 Runners. I much prefer the Foresters but the seats suck IMO. My neighbor had to trade in his Forester for a six cylinder Outback for towing a very modest travel trailer and he struggles to get in and out of his Outback. He's 6'3". I told him to go get a Tahoe and enjoy driving again.
The 2010 is way different than the wedge pre 2010 design. Most of my tall friends all ended up in the 2010 or newer because its was the only car they could fit in with rear facing car seat in play ?
The forester is a box on a impreza platform. If the Impreza is too small the Forester is too small especially in load capacity ?

billiebob

wear on the tires has to be equal enough to not mess up the sensitive all wheel drive system
THIS ^^^^

I have buddies with Jeeps with the modern traction control brake differential system, not properly rotating in the spare has caused more than one buddy to do an early brake job. It is incredible how sensitive the computer controlled traction control systems are. All 4 tires need to show equal wear and you need to do a 5 tire rotation regularly.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
@calicamper

what VW are referring to? An SUV or Jetta Wagon.
I do like a Jetta wagon but their clearance is quite low.
There is a Golf Altrack but it seems to be beyond my budget.

I like that Mercedes but it seems to be too expensive and luxurious. I kinda want something simpler…
And it could be hard to get an Euro truck fixed in the Northern Maine or Mid Kansas.
Also isn’t Mercedes no longer as reliable as it once was in the 90s?
I’ll check it out for sure.

The MPGs you listed, do you think the 2.5 with a cvt wil be significantly worse in the same scenario?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Vw Tiquan and the Audi 5 are the same vehicle
The old gen glk is surprisingly basic ie not fancy which was the consistent reviewer complaint. Good materials just bla nothing fancy interior. Harder to get my Subaru worked on than my old merc. Mercedes isn’t really super high tech just built heavy. VW is more high tech

For giggles go drive them. Can’t hurt. I was scared of Mercedes but have delt with mine for 7 yrs its been solid and once you dig into it you realize its not very high tech just built like a damn tank?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne