New Bronco

AJM

It's a load of crap I don't think people would buy a 70 series? Wrong opinion dude :)

In Australia, 70 series are very popular and serve as something of a prestige model.

However even as someone who loves the ruggedness, image, torque and sheer awesomeness of them (ie I’m biased toward them), I walked by them to buy a hilux (Tacoma like vehicle) as I wasn’t sure that my duty cylce suited such a heavy thirsty and rough vehicle.

Ditto land rovers defender (the old one)

Just a real world example of living the idea but still not buying it when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
All Broncos have Led headlights.

Our black diamond with the base headlights are fine with me.

Nhtsa was less than impressed with either option though, there may not be a big performance difference between the standard and signature headlights.

Right. So both are LED, but the higher trims have the horizontal bar in DRL mode etc? It might be moot, as after a visit to the dealer yesterday I found the girl in the business office was giving me the wrong numbers and the Wildtrak I ordered is way cheaper than she quoted me. I‘m just going to stick with my order.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
In Australia, 70 series are very popular and serve as something of a prestige model.

However even as someone who loves the ruggedness, image, torque and sheer awesomeness of them (ie I’m biased toward them), I walked by them to buy a hilux (Tacoma like vehicle) as I wasn’t sure that my duty cylce suited such a heavy thirsty and rough vehicle.

Of course there are people (the majority in fact) that fit this description. There are however, a ton of people who buy base model 1 ton diesel trucks here for work and or camper hauling vehicles. These are the demographic that would consider a 70 series a viable option.

Saying nobody would buy a Toyota 1 ton truck is ridiculous.

nickw

Adventurer
Of course there are people (the majority in fact) that fit this description. There are however, a ton of people who buy base model 1 ton diesel trucks here for work and or camper hauling vehicles. These are the demographic that would consider a 70 series a viable option.

Saying nobody would buy a Toyota 1 ton truck is ridiculous.
Camper hauling - yeah right, base model rigs have 130 hp and can tow what, 3500 kg.....which is much less than a F150.

Contractors haul big trailers, need space for gear and 4-5 guys....not happening in a rig smaller than a Tacoma.

The 70's actually line up better to a 1/2T truck, they have a bit better payload, less towing.....but are MILES off a domestic 1T vehicle.

You gotta think through the issues at hand here, I see very few use cases, beyond status like @AJM points out, for a 1T 70 in the US. The problem as I see:
1) Price - they'd be very expensive, even base model, I bet $50k+, the fancy HO engines + autos, close to $60k I'd wager....they will have a chicken Tax due to be manuf in Japan.
2) Capacity - it's not good relative to domestic 1 ton truck, payload much lower and towing is less than 1/2 ton trucks
3) Comfort - domestic rigs are big, comfortable, barca loungers.....nothing wrong with that if you have the space to drive/park them and cheap fuel
4) Size - we have room for big trucks, why buy a small one.....normally you do it for PRICE, but see #1
5) Supply chain / knowledge base - it doesn't exist in the US to support, "landcruiser" techs are a dime a dozen these days and there is no supply chain to support, it would be big $$$ to setup.

Honestly, I just see it being a niche 3rd or 4th vehicle for well to do folks and/or hipsters and a novel status symbol.

Put yourself in a boardroom with Toyota executives and make the pitch to invest millions in a market for a low volume rig....

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

You gotta think through the issues at hand here, I see very few use cases, beyond status like @AJM points out, for a 1T 70 in the US. The problem as I see:
1) Price - they'd be very expensive, even base model, I bet $50k+, the fancy HO engines + autos, close to $60k I'd wager....they will have a chicken Tax due to be manuf in Japan. Quantity will help pricing. I just read a thing a couple weeks ago that basically the 70 series is sold out until 2024 in the few countries it is already sold. If they would properly satisfy that market and add other markets the price will go down. Keep it a sought after boutique model and the prices will stay high.
2) Capacity - it's not good relative to domestic 1 ton truck, payload much lower and towing is less than 1/2 ton trucks. Even then with the tiny bed the double cab will struggle. Overseas they can stretch the frame and get a GVW upgrade which is legally impossible in the states.
3) Comfort - domestic rigs are big, comfortable, barca loungers.....nothing wrong with that if you have the space to drive/park them and cheap fuel Oil tankerlike maneuverability can get old too.
4) Size - we have room for big trucks, why buy a small one.....normally you do it for PRICE, but see #1 A smaller truck will generally have better visibility for general driving/offroading, be easier on roads/trails and will be easier to recover if it gets stuck.
5) Supply chain / knowledge base - it doesn't exist in the US to support, "landcruiser" techs are a dime a dozen these days and there is no supply chain to support, it would be big $$$ to setup. In general that is a Toyota problem that a lot of people don't want to acknowledge. No doubt there is some "grass is greener on the other side going on too. I would also be very curious how they would take rust belt conditions since they were not designed for it and never see it in the few countries they are sold.

The appeal to me is basically getting a brand new 1980's truck without having to deal with fixing rust and updating the powertrain. Few bells and whistles, even fewer unit wheel bearings... just simplicity with almost 40 years of refinement. Honestly if I could get a brand new '86 F-350 CC shortbed with a 7.3 'zilla... Landcruiser who?

Maybe we can get even more off topic and talk about some other models of vehicle besides the Bronco in the forum talking about Broncos. I guess that's pretty normal in the overland world, someone not talking about what you want to talk about? Just inject your ideas in their forum and force them to Argue with you about it.

nickw

Adventurer
The appeal to me is basically getting a brand new 1980's truck without having to deal with fixing rust and updating the powertrain. Few bells and whistles, even fewer unit wheel bearings... just simplicity with almost 40 years of refinement. Honestly if I could get a brand new '86 F-350 CC shortbed with a 7.3 'zilla... Landcruiser who?

I'm with ya, a simple, small truck like that is super appealing....

The closest you could get here is to go out and buy a single cab, long bed 1-ton truck, Ford + 7.3 or get the Dodge (with manual Tcase) + Hemi + AEV upgrades, shorten the frame and slap on a Aqualu style landcruiser tray on the back, color matched to the truck:

1653059090426.png

85_Ranger4x4

I'm with ya, a simple, small truck like that is super appealing....

The closest you could get here is to go out and buy a single cab, long bed 1-ton truck, Ford + 7.3 or get the Dodge (with manual Tcase) + Hemi + AEV upgrades, shorten the frame and slap on a Aqualu style landcruiser tray on the back, color matched to the truck:

View attachment 722997

You mean a bed a 6'+ tall person can reach the bottom of without needing a step?!

Off topic or not, a Bronco Pickup could come close to scratching the itch too.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Maybe we can get even more off topic and talk about some other models of vehicle besides the Bronco in the forum talking about Broncos. I guess that's pretty normal in the overland world, someone not talking about what you want to talk about? Just inject your ideas in their forum and force them to Argue with you about it.
Sure. What's better? An '88 Olds 98 or a 98 Olds 88?
88.jpg
1998_oldsmobile_eighty-eight_4_dr_ls_sedan-pic-2939495938248192617-1600x1200.jpg
a2ff4a73ac598afab03a5a32d64fc850.gif

nickw

Adventurer
You mean a bed a 6'+ tall person can reach the bottom of without needing a step?!

Off topic or not, a Bronco Pickup could come close to scratching the itch too.
Don't even get me started on how stupid tall trucks are these days - it's aggravating. I'm big into dirtbikes and now I can't load it without a big step stool. Bring back the 90's trucks....

I had a late 90's F150 w/4.9L I6, 5 spd manual, 2wd, I could just step up into it no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles