Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

Well, as I think about all the cool expensive gadgets coming up, I still need to finish the shell. I’m wrapping the interior panels with automotive carpet.

A2434011-BF35-4F05-B8F5-4A02F9079DAF.jpeg11FEFC44-F096-4B9D-A5B0-EF53AE19463C.jpeg
E671102A-2DF5-43BC-ABFA-243D62B18BF0.jpeg

Last edited:

highwest

Can you post some pictures? I'd love to see it all.
Two things:

1. This is tucked into a small corner of my truck’s bed, so it’s somewhat cramped, but all of the components (charge controllers, breakers, bus bars, shunt) are attached to a removable aluminum sheet in case any maintenance is required.
2. I don’t have enough experience to lay wire in an attractive fashion. Also, ignore the added clutter of the vacuum and the solar panel cord at the bottom of the pic.
8A438DB4-9EF7-4581-B69C-13CB67AAEC02.jpeg

Mules

Two things:

1. This is tucked into a small corner of my truck’s bed, so it’s somewhat cramped, but all of the components (charge controllers, breakers, bus bars, shunt) are attached to a removable aluminum sheet in case any maintenance is required.
2. I don’t have enough experience to lay wire in an attractive fashion. Also, ignore the added clutter of the vacuum and the solar panel cord at the bottom of the pic.
View attachment 718760
Looks great to me! Thanks for sharing.

Mules

Since I can walk around the interior now, I’m mocking up the layout with cardboard and plywood. Can I really fit a fridge, toilet, sink, stove, 10 gallons of water, battery, and storage back there? We’ll see.AEF5EFCA-0F81-4AF9-8EA8-9BE4D7D3C116.jpeg5F483D8A-C5F7-46A6-8AE4-6E64BAC39616.jpeg05CFF599-DAFF-4740-8E1E-136B5AD43A72.jpeg

Mules

The cushions will lay on top of the pickup bed head wall, so no cutting of the truck. The cab back seats simply fold down, and the cushion platform will fold over the back seats. Here's an old picture from when I was roughing it out. The pass through is a lot bigger now since I trimmed up to the blue tape which you can barely see. It really feels more like an SUV inside than a passthrough.

IMG_5670 2.JPG

Mules

Does anyone have experience with the cheap 100AH LiPo batteries out there? ($300 to $400 on Amazon)

What does the BMS (Battery Management System) on some batteries do for you?

How cold will LiPo batteries work? I've even seen some with heaters built in.

I was thinking about an inexpensive DIY 12v 100Ah system using the battery box below.

What are your thoughts?

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 8.10.49 AM.png

ITTOG

I have been using this one in a similar setup as you show for over 4 years now. It has been working great. If I need to recharge it while camping, I typically plug it into my trucks trailer connector. I think I've only done that once or twice. I really liked the Anderson connectors on this box.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I was thinking about an inexpensive DIY 12v 100Ah system using the battery box below.
What are your thoughts?
I built two of my own boxes for under $40 each using Amazon for all the components. Beside being less than 1/2 price it allowed me to tailor the connects to my needs/preferences, such as SAE connectors, USB ports with a built-in voltmeter (one less hole), Cig and USB ports on a vertical surface instead of horizontal so junk does not fall/collect in them, etc.

Mules

@ITTOG pointed out a great hack! You can power your fridge or Jackery, from your 7pin trainer plug. 7 pin trailer plugs have a power pin to drive trailer brakes or small camper batteries.

This plugs into the 7pin plug and has cigarette plug for your fridge.

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 1.40.13 PM.png

Last edited:

Mules

I built two of my own boxes for under $40 each using Amazon for all the components. Beside being less than 1/2 price it allowed me to tailor the connects to my needs/preferences, such as SAE connectors, USB ports with a built-in voltmeter (one less hole), Cig and USB ports on a vertical surface instead of horizontal so junk does not fall/collect in them, etc.
Do you have any pictures?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles