2022 Chevy Silverado ZR2

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I was under the impression that the levels of packages were the following:

FX4/Z71/Off-Road(Ram)/TRD Off-Road

Tremor/TrailBoss/Rebel/TRD Pro

Raptor/ZR2/TRX

At least those are how I’ve lined them up.
Yeah, I can see that too and I think that's what the manufacturers are trying to do but I just don't think the ZR2 is a Raptor competitor and it is definitely not a TRX Competitor. I think the equipment the ZR2 has it is more equal to an F150 Tremor.

I cant wait for some real world comparisons tho because I would love to know where it lines up.

skrypj

Here is what I don't love about it:

1. It comes with 3.23 axle ratios. I know, I know, the 10 speed. If I am wanting to move to larger tires, trying to turn them with a .63:1 10th gear and 3.23 axle's is gunna be insane. Especially at elevation.
2. While I am not positive, I think this will only fit a 34" tire with the right offset wheel. anything larger is gunna require more lift and/or trimming. People are putting 35's on regular F150's and Ram 1500's, and 37's on Raptors and TRX's. This is Raptor or TRX money so the comparison is not invalid.
3. 24 gallon gas tank. Seriously? That's not just the ZR2 though, its all Silverado/Sierras.
4. The price. I understand its a pretty cool truck, but it's raptor/TRX territory. Maybe they will make these in mass quantities and they will sell for below MSRP someday, but if they don't and they are at or above MSRP, I am cross shopping the other two. And I cannot see driving this home over a TRX with 707 hp, even if the interior is nicer.

The Tremor does not have any of those issues. Comes with 3.73's, pretty sure it can fit 35's, has a 36 gallon tank option and is <$55k with the Torsen front diff. You don't really need to worry about a regear if you go to 35's or larger. $15k is a lot of money to make up for any deficiency the Tremor might have(suspension)

What I do like is that it looks great and it probably is a bit more livable day to day than a raptor/trx. I will say though, the front locker is actually less appealing to me than a torsen like the Tremor/Raptor has. At the end of the day this is a full-sized truck with a 145" wheelbase. I am not sure you will find a tremendous amount of situations where a locker will really outperform the torsen. Especially with the modern crawl control systems they have.

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer

The only thing that's invalid about your post is that you cannot buy a Raptor or TRX right now, and if you can find one you absolutely will not get it for MSRP. Once the market cools down, sure. But then there will be $15k on the hood of the ZR2 just like the Colorados a couple years ago.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
1400 Lb payload is pretty typical for this trim of truck (Raptor, TRX, TRD). Maybe even better than TRD Offroad.
I have finally liked a GM interior.

skrypj

The only thing that's invalid about your post is that you cannot buy a Raptor or TRX right now, and if you can find one you absolutely will not get it for MSRP. Once the market cools down, sure. But then there will be $15k on the hood of the ZR2 just like the Colorados a couple years ago.

You cant really get anything right now. Standard F150’s/Tundras/silverados get markups so this thing sure will.

But thats also why I said, “Maybe they will produce these in mass quantities” meaning they might actually be available enough some day to where we dont have to pay msrp or more.

Explorerinil

Observer
This truck is not a raptor and trx competitor, watch the TFL video. It’s basically a trail boss with a few more options.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
This truck is not a raptor and trx competitor, watch the TFL video. It’s basically a trail boss with a few more options.
Well it’s quite a bit more than a trail boss. Front and rear e lockers, raptor or trx don’t have that. Super high end shocks. The trx and raptor you get a little wider track and a few more inches of travel.

Agree with a lot of this. Frustrating that the fuel tank is so small, but if it had a 38 gallon fuel tank instead of 24, they’d have to subtract another ~100 lbs (fuel at 6lb/gal plus larger tank weight) right off that 1400 lb of payload number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles