Trailscape's 06 Tundra

trailscape

Explorer
The taco guys run extra bracing on the bed corners to keep them from flexing, it might be an option

Sean

Yeah, I’ve seen those. Nobody makes one for these trucks and I hear it’s because the sheet metal is thicker and considered not to be an issue. Still, I think any truck that’s had substantial weight on the bed rails most of its life could see this happen.

trailscape

Explorer
Change of location and overall use has had me rethinking my setup for a while. The camper was ideal for multi day trips where I could pull over to sleep anywhere convenient. I'm looking to reconfigure to be lighter and ideal for day trips. This process is a bit challenging to achieve without being overly spendy. I think my ideal setup would be a Go Fast camper with a Decked drawer, but that's more than I can justify at the moment. I'm also not sure I'd even like sleeping in one of those. I installed the Bakflip cover and so far it looks like it'll work well, but the folding design presents some limitations for a rack system. I don't think I'd need to fold it back too often and even being able to open the tailgate section might be sufficient.

Here's a few options if you're looking at something like this.

Rhino Rack tracks install

Roof Track Load Bar System (Pair)

Hot Metal Fab Bed Rack

trailscape

Explorer
Lol, you and me both. My muffler has massive holes in it now. I just haven't bothered to get it replaced. Kind of like the way it sounds, but man does it drone on the freeway.

I'm really wanting to do a side exit through the bedside, but it's kind of low on the list. There's no emissions laws where I'm living now either, so I guess as long as it doesn't fall off..

trailscape

Explorer
Bit of an experiment here, sorry for the crap photo.

I was hoping I could find a way to install an oem accessory rail system to the bedside. Unfortunately, there's a lot of angles in these 1st gen beds.

- It's possible to install just beneath the rails, however it sits a ways back and will be blocked by anything bolted to the bed rails. That's kind of what I was trying to show below.

- It could be installed midway between the top of the bed and the wheel hump. Right between where I have the two below. It needs to be a short section. The section that goes along the cab fits about perfect and can be purchased separately for a lot less.

- The only other method I can find is to install it directly over the wheel hump. This has some benefits, but also drawbacks. Placement of bottom track in photo.

This is the 6.5' kit for the 07-21 Tundra Crewmax.

IMG_1984.jpg

trailscape

Explorer
Playing around with some 80/20 bed rack ideas. It looks like it would be fairly easy to assemble one that doesn't impact the use of the bakflip cover.

This one uses two crossbars. I could do three, but I haven't decided if that's needed. I think the price would come in under $300.

1020 Bed Rack.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles