Simple rims for modern full size trucks?

nickw

Adventurer
Trying to find a nice clean reasonably priced option for my 2021 Ram 2500. Planning on running a sim size tire to stock 33.5 to 34 and a sim width 285 vs 275, so need it to be a sim spec to stock.

I really like the look of the AEV Salta and maybe it's just me, but the exposed bolts for the trim ring is such a goofy concept.....leaving those small allens in the rims is right up there (IMO) with fake beadlocks:

1649883575972.png

Not sure why'd you'd want a trim ring, if you had a flat you'd spend another 5 minutes taking that beauty ring off and another 20 minutes finding all the bolts again at night.

I see AEV also has the Kalta:

1649884144727.png

Any other "utilitarian" options?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
These are about as utilitarian as it gets. Factory steelies. I have Method 315 machined. Ram 2500 specific but dang they've gone up so much.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
Trying to find a nice clean reasonably priced option for my 2021 Ram 2500. Planning on running a sim size tire to stock 33.5 to 34 and a sim width 285 vs 275, so need it to be a sim spec to stock.

I really like the look of the AEV Salta and maybe it's just me, but the exposed bolts for the trim ring is such a goofy concept.....leaving those small allens in the rims is right up there (IMO) with fake beadlocks:

View attachment 717105

Not sure why'd you'd want a trim ring, if you had a flat you'd spend another 5 minutes taking that beauty ring off and another 20 minutes finding all the bolts again at night.

I see AEV also has the Kalta:

View attachment 717106

Any other "utilitarian" options?
I run the saltas with the trim rings and it is not an issue removing them (a T handle hex wrench works great). literally takes a minute and there is only 8 per wheel. I also think it helps deter an amateur thief. If you are not using the trim rings the little screws are just plastic and are there to keep the threads clean of mud and dirt. the 8.5 width would work great with 285/75-17 tires.
475CA360-20D6-4CA1-A819-EF5C5CB9C7E8.jpeg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The ram steel wheels are 40lbs apiece ram power wagon wheels are 30lbs aev salta wheels 33lbs.
Steel bends and doesn't crack like alloys but they are heavier by far. I had the forged alloy rims on my '07 2500 Ram. I sold them and have method 315's now Ram specific. They look nice but I never should have sold the Mopar ones. They were so well made with a tough clearcoat. The coating on these Methods is pretty fragile.

nickw

Adventurer
I run the saltas with the trim rings and it is not an issue removing them (a T handle hex wrench works great). literally takes a minute and there is only 8 per wheel. I also think it helps deter an amateur thief. If you are not using the trim rings the little screws are just plastic and are there to keep the threads clean of mud and dirt. the 8.5 width would work great with 285/75-17 tires.
View attachment 717146
Thanks - good looking setup. How much more offset are those Saltas vs stock?

Wilbah

Adventurer
I have a question maybe some of you guys can answer....for full size vehicles I've been somewhat torn. Part of me thinks steel factory wheels would be better because of the initial cost plus if I do hit some bad pothole or something I could hammer it straight to get home as opposed to breaking a wheel. And not that I'm racing or anything, I'm not a rock crawler either, I just like the idea of being able to fix something to get home should it be needed.

That being said I like the idea of (true) beadlocks so I could more easily self mount tires and balance using internal beads instead of paying tire shops for mounting and balancing. But of course the cost is quite a bit more for them.

Just curious if others have thought through that and what their decisions were. Thx.

tacollie

Glamper
for full size vehicles I've been somewhat torn. Part of me thinks steel factory wheels would be better because of the initial cost
I don't know about RAM but on the Super Duties the factory steel wheels are rated for less weight. The factory aluminum and some of the aftermarket ones have a higher weight rating.

I think field repairing a steel wheel is so unlikely it shouldn't be a consideration. If you're running a decent sized tire and still hit something so hard that the rim gets damaged, you are going to have more significant problems than a bent wheel. I like factory steelies, but that is based on cost and aesthetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles