Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

ventura911

Adventurer
I'm partial to the Rugged Radios Jeep A pillar mount. They make one for the passenger and the driver side.

That said, I wish they stuck with the original 2 bolt design but the single bolt works fine.

-D
Have you had much interference or loss of range due to it being mounted lower?

dmulk

Have you had much interference or loss of range due to it being mounted lower?

Not at all. Great range as long as you use a quality antenna and cable and not amazon knock offs.

Used a quality meter and I'm around 1.01-1.2 across the GMRS range. Great signal quality.

dmulk

I've since upgraded to a 2M/70cm with APRS capabilities and use the same mount and antenna for HAM and GMRS. Works great.

ventura911

Adventurer
Not at all. Great range as long as you use a quality antenna and cable and not amazon knock offs.

Used a quality meter and I'm around 1.01-1.2 across the GMRS range. Great signal quality.
Radio is a Midland MXT500 and comes with a 16” 2.1dB antenna on a magnetic mount. I added a 3dB Ghost antenna to the order. If I want/need to upgrade, what’s the do-all/be-all antenna to add to the kit?

dmulk

Radio is a Midland MXT500 and comes with a 16” 2.1dB antenna on a magnetic mount. I added a 3dB Ghost antenna to the order. If I want/need to upgrade, what’s the do-all/be-all antenna to add to the kit?

Here's some of the things I used and am very happy with:

Measure the signal with this:

Mcbazel Surecom SW-102 Digital VHF/UHF 125-525Mhz Antenna Power & SWR Meter
Here's a great antenna that is resonant on GMRS and will also work for 2M/70cm HAM. It's also spring loaded which is great for what we do:

SS-680SB Mobile Antenna, 2m/70cm, UHF, 27"
Here's the antenna mount and wire kit I used:

Great thing about these is that the removable adaptor allows you to pull through the smaller foam covered passthrough higher up on the driver side if the main path is obstructed.

You may need the longer kit depending on where you are mounting the radio. I have mine mounted overhead on a MOLLE panel with the head unit mounted on a ram ball mounted on a VECTOR bar.

I found a rare earth flat magnet that I mounted in place of the microphone clips so I can simply slap it back overhead on the MOLLE rack and it's always close to my reach. I can also stick it to the vector or anything else in a pinch. Works well. Pretty proud of this hack I came up with actually.

I'll try and take some pics this weekend of my setup and post them up.

If you want to jump on a call and discuss anything PM me on here and I'll be happy to help you out with wire paths etc.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

ventura911

Adventurer
Here's some of the things I used and am very happy with:

Measure the signal with this:

Mcbazel Surecom SW-102 Digital VHF/UHF 125-525Mhz Antenna Power & SWR Meter
Here's a great antenna that is resonant on GMRS and will also work for 2M/70cm HAM. It's also spring loaded which is great for what we do:

SS-680SB Mobile Antenna, 2m/70cm, UHF, 27"
Here's the antenna mount and wire kit I used:

Great thing about these is that the removable adaptor allows you to pull through the smaller foam covered passthrough higher up on the driver side if the main path is obstructed.

You may need the longer kit depending on where you are mounting the radio. I have mine mounted overhead on a MOLLE panel with the head unit mounted on a ram ball mounted on a VECTOR bar.

I found a rare earth flat magnet that I mounted in place of the microphone clips so I can simply slap it back overhead on the MOLLE rack and it's always close to my reach. I can also stick it to the vector or anything else in a pinch. Works well. Pretty proud of this hack I came up with actually.

I'll try and take some pics this weekend of my setup and post them up.

If you want to jump on a call and discuss anything PM me on here and I'll be happy to help you out with wire paths etc.

Hope this helps.

-Dan
Thanks for the info, Dan. I’ve got a HAM buddy helping me with the install. I’m sure he’ll steer me the right way, but I’m trying to anticipate needs before the install.

dmulk

Thanks for the info, Dan. I’ve got a HAM buddy helping me with the install. I’m sure he’ll steer me the right way, but I’m trying to anticipate needs before the install.

You bet. During covid I got bored.and actually ran the whole gambit with the ham and GMRS licenses (passed tech, general and extra and also purchased a GMRS license). It was an interesting learning experience. I'd encourage anyone that is in overlanding to explore the SOTA/POTA segment of the HAM hobby. It's basically a huge game of.virtual tag using radios. It pairs well with our overlanding stuff. I'm definitely planning to work it into my trips.

During covid I did about 30k miles of Backcountry stuff and having good comms only enhanced the experience for the people I linked up with.

Have fun and post up about your install when you are finished. ?????

m-l_johnny

I've since upgraded to a 2M/70cm with APRS capabilities and use the same mount and antenna for HAM and GMRS. Works great.
I’m intrigued, I’m guessing you’re using a signal splitter of some kind to have both radios using the same antenna?

dmulk

I’m intrigued, I’m guessing you’re using a signal splitter of some kind to have both radios using the same antenna?
I don't run multiple radios simultaneously. For a time I had two radios mounted on the MOLLE rack and would just move the cable. Sorry for not explaining clearly.

Just picked up a buddy stick and will be using a 857d for POTA and SOTA stuff in the future.

I thought about wiring something on the passenger side but quickly realized that I would likely not be using HF while in motion.

Red_shift

View attachment 713985Adding a GMRS radio next week. Easiest antenna location is on a ditch light mount on the driver’s A pillar, but before I settle on that, is there a better spot you all have found on the top? My other thought would be off one of the solar panel mounts, but is it worth running the wire all the way up, back, and out?

As an aside, what roof rack mount are you using? Was that installed by Ursa Minor?

dmulk

So, for those of you interested in another rack system some of us are using L-Track as rails instead of the other offerings from Ursa minor.

Here are the part numbers that will allow the guys at UM to fully install a system that they have done for a few members (including soon to be me). Other Skus from Mac's don't include hardware or are not pre-drilled so be careful what you are ordering if you deviate from this list:

522372 - Mac's Versatie Track, Series 3 Wide - Pre-Drilled with hardware

460037 - Mac's Versatie Arrowhead End Cap

310009 - Versatie Threaded Stud M10

Also, keep in mind that not ALL L-Track (stuff you find on Amazon) follow the same industry standard specs according to Mike at Mac's. So if you buy mounting hardware from anywhere other than Mac's who follow industry standard specs it may not work.

You can call the main Mac's custom Tie-downs phone 1-800-666-1586 and ask for Mike in sales. He's getting familiar with our Jeeps. Also, you should be able to mention this to John at UM when ordering your options. I've passed the same list on to him. The advantage with allowing UM to order for you is that it will be attached to your build number, shipped to the correct shop doing assembly and have full tracking.

Hope this helps someone. :)

-dmulk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles