Electric chainsaw for specific purpose

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I know there's a very long thread about this. Considering everything that was said in that thread, can anyone recommend a cordless chainsaw for my specific use? Given the very high cost of oil right now, I'd like to harvest some wood on my property for my wood stove. Here's what I'm looking for:
  1. Lightweight. I'm too old to handle a heavy saw.
  2. I have a maple on the ground, maybe 16" in diameter, so the saw should be able to handle that. I don't expect to do that very often. Usually I would be picking up branches up to maybe 5".
  3. Cost is really important to me right now, so as cheap as possible.
My sources would probably be Lowes or Home Depot.

Last edited:

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Are you looking electric or cordless, electric is limiting
Cordless is expensive starting with 2 batteries and a charger
Not sure either one is up for the task.

phenopd

Observer
Hi, I’ve recently bought a dewalt 20V chainsaw with a 12” bar. I already had the batteries. I’ve got nothing but good to say about that saw. It’s not super fast like a gas saw, but it has done everything I’ve asked. It might take a bit to get through that 16” log, but it will do it. I’m now a fan.
Mike

phenopd

Observer
PS, I use a 6ah battery with my saw, although I’ve used 4 & 2 ah batteries with good results. Just changed more often.
Mike

Superduty

Adventurer
@PlacidWaters do you currently have any cordless tools? Milwaukee or Dewalt? If so, then you likely have some batteries and charger already and buying the same brand would likely be the best way to get into a cordless saw.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I just cut up a dead cherry tree today with my 40v With a new chain. Wood was rock hard. Was like cutting concrete. I burned through a whole 6ah battery in 15 minutes on a 18ft tree. I keep seeing people say the 19-20v stuff is ok. Might be fine for small shrubs around the house. But hell no for anything that’s actually tree like. The worst I’ve had to deal with was a 40ft bay tree which is a hard wood. Just barely got through that with 32ahr of battery used.

I would say 40v stuff is touching the capability of the smallest gas saws. Anything smaller than 40v are just yard toys. ?

krick3tt

Adventurer
I carry my DeWalt chainsaw when offloading for the occasional fallen over the trail tree or branch. I have several other DeWalt tools and several chargers for at home jobs, grinders, drills and such. I did purchase an in vehicle charger for the battery so I only have to carry one, with a smaller backup one as a spare and a fill-in when charging. I also carry a dust blower to clean off the back door after trail riding to keep the dust level down before opening the door. DeWalt has a variety of battery tools and they seem to last. I do like the battery chainsaw but do have an electric that I bought many years ago for around the house stuff before deciding to get DeWalt stuff.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Since weight and cost are issues I would suggest getting someone else to fell the tree and cut the larger diameter and then you could downsize your requirements to something easier to handle.

As mentioned, the tree is on the ground. It's partly cut up. I need to make about 10 more cuts on that tree. The quotes I had for cutting up the rest of the tree were about half the cost of a cord of cut and split firewood.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I have one, and I love it. (DeWalt 40V) I use mine infrequently, and don't need fuel gumming up in the carb when it sits for months on end unused. If I keep the battery topped off, she's ready to go at a moments notice. Also, I'm a fat old retired cripple anyway, so long about the time the battery needs a charge, I'm ready for a rest. I can just take a nap while it charges back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles