Grilling fail

ITTOG

I have never ruined any food but one time while getting ready to get my dutch oven going I put some butter in it and set it by the fire to melt per the recipe. As I was doing that the park ranger came by and I was a little distracted. I went to remove the dutch oven to put the ingredients in and when I removed the lid the extra oxygen caused a flare up and burnt the hair on my face on one side. So on one side I had a couple inch long beard and on the other I was almost clean shaven. Luckily no burned skinned.

TripLeader

Explorer
Not so much a grilling story, but still food.

I was all set to cook meatloaf at home one night. I had all the ingredients. Except we had run out of eggs.

I decided the 20 minute round trip to buy some eggs would be a waste of time. I googled egg alternatives and found bananas might do the trick. And we had bananas.

NEVER USE BANANAS IN MEATLOAF. They do not compliment the taste of ground beef. Not in any way, shape, or form.

And that's all I have to say about that. My wife still mentions it every time I make meatloaf.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Not so much a grilling story, but still food.

I was all set to cook meatloaf at home one night. I had all the ingredients. Except we had run out of eggs.

I decided the 20 minute round trip to buy some eggs would be a waste of time. I googled egg alternatives and found bananas might do the trick. And we had bananas.

NEVER USE BANANAS IN MEATLOAF. They do not compliment the taste of ground beef. Not in any way, shape, or form.

And that's all I have to say about that. My wife still mentions it every time I make meatloaf.
My only question is how much alcohol was involved? ?

TwinStick

Explorer
I have no horror stories that involve cooking but totally enjoyed reading them.

I have helped out some other not so fortunate campers in distress though. Once helping with their dinner because it was a torrential downpour and they were depending on their campfire for making dinner. So we helped them out with our camp stove. Another time it was young kids who had zero outdoor skills and were so cold they were shivering and could not get a fire started. So I showed them the cardboard egg carton trick. Put a piece of charcoal in each egg slot, close it up, stack some firewood on top of egg carton, soak egg carton in lighter fluid, and ignite. Instant campfire. Charcoal usually burns hot enough to get even stubborn campfires going.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have no horror stories that involve cooking but totally enjoyed reading them.

I have helped out some other not so fortunate campers in distress though. Once helping with their dinner because it was a torrential downpour and they were depending on their campfire for making dinner. So we helped them out with our camp stove. Another time it was young kids who had zero outdoor skills and were so cold they were shivering and could not get a fire started. So I showed them the cardboard egg carton trick. Put a piece of charcoal in each egg slot, close it up, stack some firewood on top of egg carton, soak egg carton in lighter fluid, and ignite. Instant campfire. Charcoal usually burns hot enough to get even stubborn campfires going.

That egg carton thing is a cool trick. I’ve usually fell back to the logic of “you should rotate out your road flares to keep them fresh”…

There are very few fires that can’t be lit with a 15 minute flare!

Of course, we should probably admit that anyone with charcoal, egg cartons, lighter fluid, and flares can probably start their own fire!

craig333

Expedition Leader
All kinds of disasters over the years. The one that pops into mind is when the stray dog decided the roast was cooked well enough for him :)

ITTOG

Another time it was young kids who had zero outdoor skills and were so cold they were shivering and could not get a fire started. So I showed them the cardboard egg carton trick. Put a piece of charcoal in each egg slot, close it up, stack some firewood on top of egg carton, soak egg carton in lighter fluid, and ignite. Instant campfire. Charcoal usually burns hot enough to get even stubborn campfires going.
When I was younger I would try anything to prevent using a match or lighter. Bow drill, hot coals, etc. I still try the hot coals today but when that fails I cheat.
1652629766770.png

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Not a fail but more a "WTH".......Weeks of planning, hundreds of miles of driving, $$$$$ spent, countless hours spent trying to find the right trail in a little known area called Moab, finally find a remote campsite, and we start breaking out cold beverages and grills out to cook the conquers meal and the only thing one of the guys has is cold hotdogs, no buns and no way to heat the damn dogs.....seriously. I enjoyed my steak, taters and small batch.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
3 day weekend backpacking trip, early 70’s. Forgot to pack small, lightweight folding handle fry pan. Learned new skill tho thanks to mom Necessity, flat rock cooking. Worked ok-ish for powdered eggs, pancake mix and freeze dried chili. Helped to be starving due to miles covered…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles