Bob the Campulance. E350 Crestline with Roof Raise. V3 in Progress.

Abitibi

Explorer
Just looking at your last picture, are you using that rubber hose for your diesel heater (with the clear filter)? As far as I know using this type of hose would end up crusting up your heater in no time...

iggi

Ian
Just between the tank and the filter. The rest of it is the clear plastic link that was supplied originally. If I recall correctly these heaters aren't too fussy about the input side of the fuel pump but using the correct hose between the pump and the heater is essential.

Just looking at your last picture, are you using that rubber hose for your diesel heater (with the clear filter)? As far as I know using this type of hose would end up crusting up your heater in no time...

iggi

Ian
Bit slow on the updates here. Just got it back together enough last weekend for a quick camping trip.
I've been knee deep in discovering my decision to try and retain the Crestline electrical panel and adapt it to my needs *may* not have been the best route.

I thought it would be easier to work with my existing electrical system, disable & remove what I don't need and then wire in my new circuits. (lights, heater, water pump, etc). About 60 hours later I'm fairly sure I made the wrong decision. It all works and I've got my switches where I want them but it's takes up way more space than it needs to.

I tied all the new systems into the original Crestline relays and breakers plus repurposed the switches. Was a really good learning experience albeit a frustrating one. If I hadn't kept the original rear heat/ac, scene lights, etc then it would have been an easier decision to start from scratch.. or maybe to strip it down to just the breaker panel. I expect that when I redo the kitchen I'll end up redoing the electrical again so I can downsize the board and free up all the space the electrical cabinet takes. It would make more sense to move all the electrical under the bed where it's hard to access the storage and free up space in the main area.

IMG_4975.jpegIMG_4976 2.jpegIMG_4988 2.jpegIMG_5043.jpegIMG_5131.jpegIMG_5132.jpegIMG_5139 2.jpegIMG_5140.jpeg

iggi

Ian
PS On the 2nd night of camping I discovered that my aux fuel ports stops pulling fuel just above the quarter tank mark. Fortunately I also discovered that all the work I put into insulation was worth it. Despite the cold, snow and lack of heat I was more comfortable than when I camped in September sans insulation.

billiebob

Just wait till you replace the cheap 12v cooler for a Dometic CRX-50 or bigger. I’ve run most of the “long weekend” on a pair of golf cart 6V batteries... with it in full freezer mode. Randy’s Truck shop has them for about $500 usd. I’ve posted before what their promo code is that will save 10%... NEW10 I believe.

The Dometic units are rated to draw 6 amps running and about 1.1 amps/hour over a 24 hour period vs 5 amps/hour for the cooler mine replaced.
2 years later but where is Randys Truck Shop ???

billiebob

I thought it would be easier to work with my existing electrical system, disable & remove what I don't need and then wire in my new circuits. (lights, heater, water pump, etc). About 60 hours later I'm fairly sure I made the wrong decision. It all works and I've got my switches where I want them but it's takes up way more space than it needs to
Thank you for this, me too I've considered keeping the original everything the best choice, and repurposing stuff. Glad to hear that might not be the best idea. My logic was save the time and work on what is missing. But maybe starting from a blank sheet is best and get rid of the excess baggage.

I really like the raised roof and new interior too.

iggi

Ian
Thanks! The roof raise is a total game changer.

Connecting into the original panel was fine when the electrical system was mostly stock and before I gutted the interior. However that strategy of conserving parts and trying to keep things as close to stock as possible really fell apart once I wanted to make better use of the space and had to start relocating components. Better to design and build to your requirements vs adapting.

I think one could reuse a lot of the original pieces. For example the power distribution bar, breakers and connectors are all really great quality and I don't think it makes sense to throw them away. But I could be wrong. The time spent in reusing those vs buying new, purpose built components might be false economy.

Good luck!

PS No idea who Randy's Truck Shop is. That's a comment from @Bikersmurf I ended up going with an AC bar fridge. $135ish on sale and runs great on the original inverter.

Thank you for this, me too I've considered keeping the original everything the best choice, and repurposing stuff. Glad to hear that might not be the best idea. My logic was save the time and work on what is missing. But maybe starting from a blank sheet is best and get rid of the excess baggage.

I really like the raised roof and new interior too.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thanks! The roof raise is a total game changer.

Connecting into the original panel was fine when the electrical system was mostly stock and before I gutted the interior. However that strategy of conserving parts and trying to keep things as close to stock as possible really fell apart once I wanted to make better use of the space and had to start relocating components. Better to design and build to your requirements vs adapting.

I think one could reuse a lot of the original pieces. For example the power distribution bar, breakers and connectors are all really great quality and I don't think it makes sense to throw them away. But I could be wrong. The time spent in reusing those vs buying new, purpose built components might be false economy.

Good luck!

PS No idea who Randy's Truck Shop is. That's a comment from @Bikersmurf I ended up going with an AC bar fridge. $135ish on sale and runs great on the original inverter.
Google figured it out… It should have been Raney’s. Auto correct likely changed it like it just tried to.

iggi

Ian
Well... things can change quickly in a couple weeks. On my last camping trip I was cruising some back roads and seeing spots to camp IF I wasn't just 2WD and rolling on these little 225/75R16 tires. Decided I'm tired of not having 4x4. This is the first vehicle I've owned in 15 years that wasn't 4x4 and I just find it cramps my style. I started reading through the various 4x4 conversion threads I'd saved. Had to bug my neighbor about something and hmmm.. one of his many parts trucks was a F350 Super Duty 4x4. hmmmm... "Hey Jordan. what year is this rig?"... 2006. hmmmm perfect for one of @mgmetalworks kits. "What are you planning for it?" "oh.. I've already got the parts I need, motor is pooched. Need the room so going to send it off for scrap"

Well.. long story short, a few dollars were exchanged and now I've got a complete donor in my driveway just waiting for me to have the time to strip it down.

Pretty stoked. Just have to get through the busy season with work and then I can get started.

IMG_5152.jpegIMG_5153.jpegIMG_5154.jpegIMG_5155.jpeg

In other news. More progress on the interior. Got the front setup to hang my climbing gear.

IMG_5157.jpegIMG_5158.jpeg

iggi

Ian
Winter in the Canadian Rockies is not that conducive to making much progress on your camper when it's parked outside. Fortunately we've had a couple warm spells in Alberta and I've made some more progress recently. I even got out for a weekend camping trip too.

Big accomplishment - I now have a kitchen counter, sink and working plumbing system. It's basic but that ya'll might like a look. Total $$ spent - About $175 (not counting the probably $50 in various plumbing adapters I bought that were the wrong size.

Sink is a stainless steel salad bowl. $6.00
Cut a hole into the bottom and installed the drain I bought from Amazon. ($15 I think. It's been a couple years)
1 Five gallon jug for fresh water. ($15 each)
1 Five gallon jug for grey. (I typically carry 15-20 gallons in the summer and just swap the jugs)
Pump is a Seaflo SFDP1-012-035-21 (it's pressure sensitive so it turns on and off as the tap opens/closes.) ($40ish)
Tap is from amazon. Crea Bar Sink Faucet with magnetic docking spray (splurged on this $75)
Quick Disconnect: DERNORD Stainless Steel Quick Disconnect Set $16.
Misc adapters.
3/8 food grade poly hose
Various bits and pieces I recycled after gutting the original interior. (seatbelt, brackets, etc)
Pump is connected to the power leads from the suction pump I removed and can be switched off/on from the suction pump switch on the panel.

Quick video review:
On to the camping review.

Spent a couple days camped in Banff. Temps ranged from -5 to -16ish. Winds were high.
The Cheap Chinese Diesel Heater never skipped a beat.
It definitely had to work harder with the new layout and all the extra air to heat. It's a 5KW unit so never had it past half but previously I barely had it above low.
I have more doors and walls exposed to the cold than before. Plus, now that the wall separating the box from the cab, the lack of insulation in the cab is painfully obvious.
So, no complaints about the insulation that I installed or any of the walls that now have wood on them but I will have to insulate all the doors and the cab before next winter.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’ll be following along to see how the 4x conversion goes.

i checked out the expo site… no prices. Do you mind if I ask the ballpark cost on his kit?

iggi

Ian
I’ll be following along to see how the 4x conversion goes.

i checked out the expo site… no prices. Do you mind if I ask the ballpark cost on his kit?

Kit was roughly $2K USD. Cost a couple hundred bucks to get shipped to Alberta.
If you can source an entire donor for a good price then this is certainly the least expensive 4x4 conversion for people that aren't into fabricating their own brackets, etc.
Not counting rims & rubber I expect to be under $5K for everything.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Kit was roughly $2K USD. Cost a couple hundred bucks to get shipped to Alberta.
If you can source an entire donor for a good price then this is certainly the least expensive 4x4 conversion for people that aren't into fabricating their own brackets, etc.
Not counting rims & rubber I expect to be under $5K for everything.
I’ll keep it in mind if I decide I need another 4x. $2k doesn’t seem unreasonable for what you get. I’ve heard someone local paid $6k for a solid front axle swap in a smaller 4x4… and that’s just one axle and the front suspension.

I don’t need one since, even “stock”, my 40 series can run circles around almost any full size rig. There’s a huge advantage to 33s on a 13’ rig vs a 21’ rig. Also my better half would need a step ladder to get in. I have a hard enough time justifying both trucks… I can’t justify both being 4x… and selling the 40 isn’t going to happen. The only question is which of my kids will get it when I’m gone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke