Sewing Thread....A discussion on making your own adventure textile gear.

alexcivick

Observer
Thank you!
Cost isn't a huge concern but I always try to get good value for my money. I'm not sure about zig zag stitches but would probably pay the difference just in case. I used to work in upholstery shops while in high school and college and would like to start it up again as a hobby but I was never too involved in the sewing. Space is a consideration and I have seen how complicated those industrial machines are to maintain. I'm hoping sailrite is a little more simple.
Sailrite is advertising a powerpack for the ultrafeed on their website for 300. If I got the ultrafeed now and got the powerpack later, do you think that would work decently for leather?

Here is a description

Short answer. Yes. They introduced that power pack a couple months ago but you could only get it with a machine. A week ago they finally offered it as a separate option. I talked to a friend before it launched about it when he was given an early release for testing and he loved it. It’s a strong servo motor with variable control that mounts on the back of the machine. That is so much better than a belt driven motor when it comes to portability. I will be getting one for my old Thompson Mini for sure.
These machines were designed to be powerful and portable as can be for use on heavier canvas. When Sailrite took over the patent they developed it to be exactly what it is that appeals to people today.
I recommend Sailrite I think it’s a great place for people who want to get into sewing. They have great customer support. It’s a small footprint and portable. Can even be operated without power. It’s a walking foot which has it advantages for canvas. It’s not a daunting industrial but it’s way better than a domestic.

I use mine like I said for production like it’s an industrial. Mounted in a table, belt driven servo motor, use different feet for zippers, binding attachment. I say get one. And spring for the zig zag. It comes in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iain_U1250

Explorer
We didn't have a problem with the motor on our Sailmate version, biggest problem was not being able to go really slowly, something the power pack is very good at from what I can see. The stock machine is pretty fast off the mark, and doesn't go slow enough for me. I would use the hand wheel for the thicker bits at the ends. Having the power pack and the big table would be useful.

The Sailright machine is made by Sakura Stitch, they just rebrand it, there is nothing special about it.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I’ve been so busy making bags and stuff for my business so when I finally got some time to work on projects for myself today I decided to make some organization for my Snow Peak Iron Grill Table. Yuman Desert Rat made super nice straps for IGTs and a case for inserts that I really liked so I used his design and made my own. I used some extras and scrap fabric and the only size webbing and hook and loop I have is 1” and I only had today to get done.
It’s mostly adjustable straps made from poly webbing and fastened with hook and loop tape. 2 straps with slots to hold all of the legs tied to the back and 2 adjustable straps that wrap around to secure large table and corner pieces. For the inserts and small accessories I made a fabric pouch bound with webbing that folds over the pieces and secured with hook and loop tape. The pouch gets sandwiched between the frame and tables. Nothing new or innovative it’s just copied from Yuma’s design. This allows all of the pieces for my IGT setup to fit in the Snow Peak carry bag much better.
9d5de6f9772eb3712946d86a0c6474bc.jpg

d6b6c10bdd303ffdf9efa3c6f8ed1f3a.jpg

042a0d17ed79950e599381e7a7ea080c.jpg

6cea2ea73fd0fdf1e8bf205a1aaabd91.jpg
507b147d232ede84b59350cea3f442de.jpg

It was a quick job made from rough measurements and no pattern so it’s a little janky. I also had to use my portable walking foot machine instead of my industrials so I could use a smaller thread size (industrials are tensioned for stitching leather) and I def got used to the conveniences of servo motors, foot/knee lifts, and needle position control.
If I were to do it again I would use wider straps for sure.
While I was at it I starting making some simple Velcro straps for my Pack and Carry Fireplace pieces too. Those are always annoying trying to keep them together.
6095197d02e35b2853b5ccfb88722c4c.jpg

Just saw some of your leatherwork on FB! Absolutely beautiful! LMK if you do custom work or customer modes or even have the time for such things. I frequently get asked about leather work and would like to refer them to you. PM contact info if interested. Cheers and greatest success!

alexcivick

Observer
First set of ATC Custom Rivian Recovery Bags heading out for the truck release. It's been incredible working with the team from Rivian, Factor 55 and Warn! Now, looking forward seeing these some trucks!
View attachment 688494

So good. I don’t usually take interest in new vehicles because I’m such an unnecessary Land Rover fanboy but I have been very intrigued by the Rivian and very impressed by what they have been doing. I’ve made investments in some of the companies that support Rivian with components etc and I’m just waiting for Rivians IPO….. I’ve been dropping hints to my wife about wanting one as new vehicle…..
I love that you are an oem for this I think it’s so cool. When I worked for Toyota Manufacturing I designed and made a zippered pouch that was intended to fit inside the center console of the new (at the time) Tundra as a place to keep stuff organized etc. the project got kicked to one of the on site suppliers who eventually scrapped it. That was the first time I got the idea of starting my own manufacturing company and making oem parts but was way out of my reach making anything to scale like that. I plan to revisit the idea in the future though…
Awesome work.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
So good. I don’t usually take interest in new vehicles because I’m such an unnecessary Land Rover fanboy but I have been very intrigued by the Rivian and very impressed by what they have been doing. I’ve made investments in some of the companies that support Rivian with components etc and I’m just waiting for Rivians IPO….. I’ve been dropping hints to my wife about wanting one as new vehicle…..
I love that you are an oem for this I think it’s so cool. When I worked for Toyota Manufacturing I designed and made a zippered pouch that was intended to fit inside the center console of the new (at the time) Tundra as a place to keep stuff organized etc. the project got kicked to one of the on site suppliers who eventually scrapped it. That was the first time I got the idea of starting my own manufacturing company and making oem parts but was way out of my reach making anything to scale like that. I plan to revisit the idea in the future though…
Awesome work.

LOL........I went through the same thing with a custom tool bag set-up for the new Land Cruiser (back then) it just kept bouncing around amongst different people/departments. I suspect the prototypes are sitting in someones rig somewhere!

ITTOG

Anyone know anything about a Zoje GG20u53 zig-zag machine. Would it be able to handle heavier material? I am building a pop top slide in camper and may do the canvas myself, even though I don't know anything about sewing. It would need to be able to handle, canvas, vinyl, and net all at once in order to do the windows.

williaty

Anyone know anything about a Zoje GG20u53 zig-zag machine. Would it be able to handle heavier material? I am building a pop top slide in camper and may do the canvas myself, even though I don't know anything about sewing. It would need to be able to handle, canvas, vinyl, and net all at once in order to do the windows.
That's one of the million nasty Chinese clones of the Singer 20U. Like almost every sewing machine, stabbing power won't be a problem because that's almost never the limitation of a sewing machine. Officially, it accepts a maximum of a Size 19 needle, which limits you to v69 (Tex 70) thread. Some people claim it'll run heavier than that but if you start reading their list of gotchas, it's not super functional above Tex 70. It's drop-feed only, which means you'll run into the normal problems feeding complex, slippery, or sticky assemblies. It has a very small harp space (the area between the needle, the arm up top, the bed on the bottom, and the post on the right) which can make feeding a bulky project like a tent or other large object through the harp space a PITA. This is not a machine I'd recommend for what you're asking about.

In order of preference (and sadly also cost), my recommendations would be:
1) Buy a new full-sized walking foot zig-zag machine from a good brand like Juki, Consew, Seiko, Pfaff, Adler, etc. This is big money.
2) Buy a used full-sized walking foot zig-zag machine from any good brand. Good luck finding one though, I've been looking for almost 3 years now.
3) Buy a used full-sized drop-feed zig-zag machine from any good brand. You'll have to hunt for a while (took me about 14 months to locate one) but the prices aren't too painful.
4) Buy a new Sailrite LSZ-1 to get the walking foot zig-zag, ability to take up to v92 thread, and excellent customer support. Downside is the small harp space and cost.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Not familar with the machine, is it an industrial setup. Ideally you want a compound needle fed machine for easiibilty
Kevin

ITTOG

That's one of the million nasty Chinese clones of the Singer 20U. Like almost every sewing machine, stabbing power won't be a problem because that's almost never the limitation of a sewing machine. Officially, it accepts a maximum of a Size 19 needle, which limits you to v69 (Tex 70) thread. Some people claim it'll run heavier than that but if you start reading their list of gotchas, it's not super functional above Tex 70. It's drop-feed only, which means you'll run into the normal problems feeding complex, slippery, or sticky assemblies. It has a very small harp space (the area between the needle, the arm up top, the bed on the bottom, and the post on the right) which can make feeding a bulky project like a tent or other large object through the harp space a PITA. This is not a machine I'd recommend for what you're asking about.

In order of preference (and sadly also cost), my recommendations would be:
1) Buy a new full-sized walking foot zig-zag machine from a good brand like Juki, Consew, Seiko, Pfaff, Adler, etc. This is big money.
2) Buy a used full-sized walking foot zig-zag machine from any good brand. Good luck finding one though, I've been looking for almost 3 years now.
3) Buy a used full-sized drop-feed zig-zag machine from any good brand. You'll have to hunt for a while (took me about 14 months to locate one) but the prices aren't too painful.
4) Buy a new Sailrite LSZ-1 to get the walking foot zig-zag, ability to take up to v92 thread, and excellent customer support. Downside is the small harp space and cost.
Thanks for all the details.

Not familar with the machine, is it an industrial setup. Ideally you want a compound needle fed machine for easiibilty
Kevin
Not sure which is why I asked. As I stated, I know nothing about sewing. Not even sure I want to do this. Compound needle fed machine? Time to google. ;)

williaty

Not sure which is why I asked. As I stated, I know nothing about sewing. Not even sure I want to do this. Compound needle fed machine? Time to google. ;)
Since you brought up the 20U clone, I assumed you needed zig-zag. If you do, then go with the recommendations I listed. There's no such thing as a compound-feed (aka unison feed, triple feed) zig zag machine. If you don't need zig-zag, then yeah there's a TON of more options that you should look at like needle feed machines (ex. Juki DLN-5410) or compound feed machines (ex Consew 206RB-series, Juki 1541, etc) as they're way, way easier to find used and are superb machines but straight-stitch only.

ITTOG

Since you brought up the 20U clone, I assumed you needed zig-zag. If you do, then go with the recommendations I listed. There's no such thing as a compound-feed (aka unison feed, triple feed) zig zag machine. If you don't need zig-zag, then yeah there's a TON of more options that you should look at like needle feed machines (ex. Juki DLN-5410) or compound feed machines (ex Consew 206RB-series, Juki 1541, etc) as they're way, way easier to find used and are superb machines but straight-stitch only.
I now know zig zag is not required. You have definitely helped. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
Yes was not sure the reason for needing a zig zag machine. If he is using it for his tent, straight is all he would need and it would be less frustrating. 20 yrs of custom auto upholstery and I have never needed a zag zag machine
Kevin

williaty

I now know zig zag is not required. You have definitely helped. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
OK, in that case, you should try to find a compound feed or needle feed machine. The needle feeds *tend* to be ok doing very light work if you ever want to sew clothing, curtains for the camper, lingerie for the wife and also be... better than average... with heavy assemblies like the most complex seams on a tent. Compound feed machines are fabulous for thick, heavy, and complex seams, upholstery (car or house), stuff for the boat, etc but they'll absolutely mangle lightweight stuff so no slinky things for the wife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles