DIY Expedition Camper on a 2020 Mitsubishi Fuso EarthCruiser CORE Chassis

kcshoots

Love to know an approximate base cost on that set up before habitat panels.
You can reach out to EarthCruiser for updated and detailed pricing with options of their "CORE chassis"/4x4 conversion on an NPR or Fuso, but it's in the range of $125k-150k on a new chassis. Pretty darn expensive but does have a good set of components.

Hodor

Are they still labeled Mitsubishi from CORE? Or do these 2020 and later models carry a different designation.

I thought I read they would be converting the 2wd Chevy platform because of Mitsubishis pullout from the Americas in 2019

yabanja

Explorer
The core chassis is a great way to go. In combination with the Total Composites box it represents an excellent value. I would be going that route if I didn't already have Fido. Look forward to following your build.

Allan

kcshoots

Are they still labeled Mitsubishi from CORE? Or do these 2020 and later models carry a different designation.

I thought I read they would be converting the 2wd Chevy platform because of Mitsubishis pullout from the Americas in 2019
The title says EarthCruiser CORE, not that the DMV knows or cares. It's essentially a rebranded/final chassis build/conversion from Mit Fuso to EarthCruiser CORE, which along with a clerical error on the title by EarthCruiser has made the registration process multi-step.

I don't think Chevy is selling their "version" of this any more and I think that one is rebranded from an Isuzu NPR. It was a conscious decision to go with the Fuso over the NPR for a few small details I'll share in an upcoming video.

kcshoots

The core chassis is a great way to go. In combination with the Total Composites box it represents an excellent value. I would be going that route if I didn't already have Fido. Look forward to following your build.

Allan
Fido! Awesome! I love Fido and your videos. Thank you for sharing those. We must meet and take a trip some day. It is a great "value", although the factory 4x4 is a way better value than this converted one, but the conversion does add some additional capabilities.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I searched long and wide over the last two years for a truck chassis to build an expedition camper onto, and settled on a new (2019/2020) Mitsubishi Fuso with an EarthCruiser CORE 4x4 conversion and in the process of building and installing the Total Composites camper box and full interior camper onto this chassis. Follow along the video series: https://youtu.be/QRfwYIC-GlM
What size tires?
Kevin

kcshoots

37x13.5 Toyo MTs. Each are rated to 4,300 pound weight carrying capacity, so plenty load carrying capacity per axle with four tires, which was a requirement in my vehicle selection. One BIG benefit of these tires, is that the tire and wheel weigh about 125 pounds each, so they can be lifted or lowered with one person if needed, and also fairly readily available.

The Artisan

Adventurer
37x13.5 Toyo MTs. Each are rated to 4,300 pound weight carrying capacity, so plenty load carrying capacity per axle with four tires, which was a requirement in my vehicle selection. One BIG benefit of these tires, is that the tire and wheel weigh about 125 pounds each, so they can be lifted or lowered with one person if needed, and also fairly readily available.
Thanks
Kevin

kcshoots

I installed three grey water tanks combined together for the chassis/in-frame rail grey water system into the Fuso chassis and also an Extreme Outback high-output air compressor and tank, as well as another 5 gallon air tank with distribution ports for air connections at each corner to fill those 37x13.5 tires. More details in my recent videos on YouTube.

kcshoots

I've been dealing with since new and have tried to repair a check engine light, which has been on since picking up new from EarthCruiser. They suggested "clicking" the fuel cap, indicating that they have confirmed an evaporative fuel system leak on my vehicles and/or others they have delivered, and EC suggesting that the factory fuel cap must be loose in the factory fuel filler, yet EarthCruiser modifies the factory fuel tank as part of their standard build (CORE or camper). EarthCruiser has refused to loan a code reader to me so that I can check the code/cause of the check engine light, so I procured one that they recommended at my expense for this new vehicle with CEL. The code reader they suggested did not read the Fuso fault code (or any other J1939 info), so I procured another that was able to read the fault codes but unfortunately not much else. I have put a link to it in the notes of this video. I have checked the vent line between the fuel filler and sender/tank, which was reinstalled by EC. It was loose and possibly the cause of the fault, yet the fault has not cleared. I may try clearing the fault myself as EC has not been willing to provide any support. Any other suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior