Who's lining up to buy a 2023 Sequoia and NOT a 2022 Tundra?

XJLI

Adventurer
how is a vehicle that doesn’t even have locations for recovery points “inarguably “ better for remote touring?

You probably are not wrong, but I take issue with the quoted word.

Some people are flipping out over this, but RRCs, Discos, and Defenders didn’t have tow points from the factory, either. It’s a weird hill to stand on.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
You know people will say the lc300 has some unexplainable quality that makes it superior. I think those days are long gone in reality now.

I just can't understand why they didn't offer the fold flat into the floor third row like the 300 has which is very similar to how the GX460 does it. I get that they probably could offer thicker foam padding which is more comfortable than the slimmer seats in the true fold flat setups, but that won't be an ideal layout for those cross shopping this with literally every other full-size three-row SUV. The third row seat sliding capability probably factored into the design as well but I would have taken a better fold flat scenario over sliding adjustability, after-all, I couldn't care less about leg room for anyone that I'd stick back there lol. The Cruiser will always have the more ideal wheel base for off-road use as well but the Sequoia is by far the better people hauler and it looks to be twice as good as the last Gen in regards to off-road capability.

moonshiner

Observer
I just can't understand why they didn't offer the fold flat into the floor third row like the 300 has which is very similar to how the GX460 does it. I get that they probably could offer thicker foam padding which is more comfortable than the slimmer seats in the true fold flat setups, but that won't be an ideal layout for those cross shopping this with literally every other full-size three-row SUV. The third row seat sliding capability probably factored into the design as well but I would have taken a better fold flat scenario over sliding adjustability, after-all, I couldn't care less about leg room for anyone that I'd stick back there lol. The Cruiser will always have the more ideal wheel base for off-road use as well but the Sequoia is by far the better people hauler and it looks to be twice as good as the last Gen in regards to off-road capability.
Third row can fold flat like LC300 and LX600 because of the placement of the hybrid battery.

Last edited:

Littlehouse

Adventurer
You see their shelf solution? Half-assed attempt at best. Is it the battery, or the solid axle?...or both?

moonshiner

Observer
"Can't"

Yea, that sucks!
Opps...thanks for the typo correction :).

Packaging the hybrid battery was probably the reason the LC300 and LX600 isn't available with the hybrid out the gate. It probably compromise the cargo volume in the smaller LC and LX too much. Not as big of a compromise in the larger Sequoia.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
$60k gets you a nearly loaded JT. A $60k LC70 won't have power windows or cruise control.

Maybe not, but at least it would be reliable.

We get it. You like your bells and whistles. Congratulations. And for the record, the 70 Series is way more “Landcruiser” than the 200. People have gotten soft.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
You see their shelf solution? Half-assed attempt at best. Is it the battery, or the solid axle?...or both?

Yea, the shelf thing is an afterthought and will hurt them when compared to the rest of the pack when these soccer moms go shopping. The hands free lift gate is nice but nothing new.

XJLI

Adventurer

We get it. You like your bells and whistles. Congratulations. And for the record, the 70 Series is way more “Landcruiser” than the 200. People have gotten soft.

Holy smokes man, you guys just can't let it go. It was 11 degrees this morning, I like my heated seats and steering wheel. ******** me, right?

You have a Cummins, that truck makes way more sense than a 70.

nickw

Adventurer
Holy smokes man, you guys just can't let it go. It was 11 degrees this morning, I like my heated seats and steering wheel. ******** me, right?

You have a Cummins, that truck makes way more sense than a 70.

I I agree with XJLI - the only thing you dodge doesn't do as good as the 70 is it's physical size....stronger drivetrain, more comfortable, more interior space, heavier duty engine that I would think has a longer MTBO since it's based on a medium duty engine.

Grassland

It's irrelevant for guys like me who can't spend 90-120k on a vehicle.
(Also remember in Canada everything costs more than USA)
Sharing a lot with the Tundra sure seems like it will help out on the aftermarket side. Must save money in production in general.

nickw

Adventurer
You’re right they don’t care about the enthusiast market (FJ Cruzer showed that), but you’re dead wrong about the numbers. IH8MUD has 155,000 members alone. And they are ALL enthusiasts.
I bet if you polled the IH8mud crowd you'd get a fair response of guys interested.....but mostly for 'collector' status vs planned expedition use. I think it's an important point since they are looked at as investments and toys rather than vehicle used for work. Of the ones interested I bet you'd have a small % that would follow through.

If we are honest, 70's are available for purchase....you can buy an old one, import a new engine, get it rebuilt for probably about what they'd cost new here.....~$50-60k, very very few guys have them.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I am a self proclaimed Cruiser head, I've owned a 40, 60, 80, and now two 200's and I am very active over on Ih8Mud. I test drove a very nicely built, completely restored 78 Series Troopy a few years back with every intention of purchasing that vehicle. After spending an afternoon and evening checking it over, talking with the guy who did the work (very reputable shop) and then a rather lengthy test drive on the highway at freeway speeds, down city streets, through neighborhoods and even along a gravel road, I decided that it wasn't for me.

There was simply no way I was going to ever enjoy traveling beyond 100-150 miles per day in the thing and I'd prefer to never have to go more than 50-60 mph in it and it takes a full 30 seconds to get up to those sustained speeds lol. It was brutally slow, noisy, rough, barely handled better than my 40 Series and just too much of an industrial tractor all around for the type of travel I intended to do with it. If I were in the outback full time, lived out west in the desert, or in the backwoods along the east coast and I had weeks to travel without a time constraint then I could see it being a valid option. But if you're like most of us and have a 3-7 days at a time to squeeze in a trip between work then it's just not going to work if you have to cover 500-1000 miles each way just to get to the areas you want to explore. If time and money were of no issue then I'd certainly have one in the garage simply for nostalgia and collectors sake, but given my needs, desires and available time, it simply doesn't fit within that mold.

Umbrarian

Observer
Just curious who else prefers the Sequoia (at a glance) to the Tundra? Styling of the Tundra is growing on me which helps that the Sequoia shares headlights and fenders with the Tundra. I think the Tundra just missed marks on payload and towing, etc.

Not Me, I am now leaning Tundra.

I was hoping to upgrade my current Sequoia, but not likely now. Why?

1) The hybrid motor which is not a hybrid motor. Too much weight and too many failure points and design changes for so little horsepower. I am fine with the HP on the 5.7, I just would have liked better mpg in the form turbo6 without the electric motor like you can get on the Tundra. A true hybrid would have been awesome but this is useless.

2) I do not have 4/5/6 kids (and neither does 86% of America). No need for a 3rd row. What I do need is cargo space and room for my dog. So unless there is 3rd row delete, this does not work. That goofy raised floor and inability to lie flat shows they gave little thought to what a typical American family needs.

So I am now leaning Tundra without iForce Max, and a bed if needed to keep cargo dry.

Whoever thought this was acceptable should have been fired:

2023-toyota-sequoia-limited-110-1642818931.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94