F-350 Configuration for Truck Camper Build (NorthStar 850SC)

discohead

Hi All, I'm preparing to place an order for an F-350 that will haul a NorthStar 850SC pop-up truck camper. I've done a lot of homework, think I've got it sorted, but this is my first time buying a full size truck or truck camper, so I'm just looking for any feedback/suggestions from more experienced folks before I pull the trigger. Ford's max payload chart puts this configuration at 4970lbs, with the added options, I'm hoping it comes in around 4500lbs (+/- 100 lbs). The camper has a base dry weight of 1785lbs, so I'm guessing it'll weigh about 3000lbs once it's wet, optioned and fully loaded. The goal here is to preserve as much of the truck's off-road capability as possible. Aftermarket wheels, tires and suspension will likely happen at some point down the road, but not right away. Primary use case will be off-road, off-grid trips... shorter at first, but with a goal of eventually going full-time, (which would likely entail going to a custom flatbed). Without further adieu, below is the platform I'm thinking of starting with... thoughts? ideas? anything you'd do differently? Full build PDF attached. Any guidance will be appreciated!

• F-350 XLT
  • SuperCab
  • 8' Box
  • SRW
  • 4x4
  • 7.3L Gas
  • 4.30 Axle
  • LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T, 4x4 Tires
  • FX4 Off-Road Package
  • Snow Plow / Camper Package
  • Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System with Pro Trailer Backup Assist
  • XLT Value Package
  • Dual Battery
  • Dual HD Alternators
  • Wheel Well Liner - Front/Rear
  • Individual Trailer TPMS/Customer-Placed Trailer Camera
  • Upfitter Switches

Attachments

• F-350_XLT_build.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 20

sneeben_keel

consider a chassis cab flatbed/custom bed if you have the funding. aluminum flatbeds, either off the shelf or custom, would carry the load of the camper you spec'd out. also, the chassis cabs are delivering significantly faster than the pickups right now. you may not miss some of the tech that is only available on the pickups too. just a thought.

rruff

Explorer
consider a chassis cab flatbed/custom bed if you have the funding. aluminum flatbeds, either off the shelf or custom, would carry the load of the camper you spec'd out. also, the chassis cabs are delivering significantly faster than the pickups right now. you may not miss some of the tech that is only available on the pickups too. just a thought.

Chassis-cabs have a flexible open-C frame (vs a stiff fully boxed frame), and you'll want some sort of pivoting subframe... which will increase the cost and complexity quite a bit.

A custom bed made as low as possible (no higher than the current bed) and ~50" wide to accommodate the camper, would allow for tall (~40") side boxes for storage, fore and aft of the wheels. Very much like a service body.

2020-ford-f350.2.jpg

discohead

I considered going the chassis cab route and going straight to ordering a custom flatbed, but then figured I had enough on my plate for now and I'd just start with a regular pickup, commit to the flatbed later. Also... In this other thread it's mentioned that the pickup frames are fully boxed and therefore much stiffer than chassis cab frames, which are not fully boxed. Seems like that would be advantageous to hauling a truck camper.

I'd consider adjustable pedals.

Noted.

Bed liner depending on how long keeping box/use.

For bed liner I was thinking of getting an after market spray-on like Line-X or Rhino, but maybe the factory "Tough Bed" is just as good or better?

If trying to max payload I'd maybe go std 240 alt (would confirm on 7.3) and single battery.

My thinking on the dual alternators was mainly for adding a winch, they're required if you go with the factory winch but also being able to charge camper batteries faster from the truck, adding auxiliary lighting, etc...

Yes to rear stabilizer bar pkg but not sure would want the 6,000# snowplow spring. So maybe Camper Pkg. only if that gave me a 5,200 or 5,600# front spring

Definitely planning to get a heavy aftermarket front bumper (Buckstop, ARB, Ranch Hand, etc) with a winch and a front hitch and want to be able to use that front hitch for a (second) dirt bike or a cargo carrier. Maybe overkill though?

Really appreciate the input! Keep it comin'!

discohead

Chassis-cabs have a flexible open-C frame (vs a stiff fully boxed frame), and you'll want some sort of pivoting subframe... which will increase the cost and complexity quite a bit.

A custom bed made as low as possible (no higher than the current bed) and ~50" wide to accommodate the camper, would allow for tall (~40") side boxes for storage, fore and aft of the wheels. Very much like a service body.

2020-ford-f350.2.jpg

daaaamn, that is sweet. is that yours/do you know who made that bed?

eyemgh

Max. Front GAWRlbs.
5,250 (F-250)(4x2)
5,600 (F-250)(4x4)
5,250 (F-350 SRW)(4x2)
5,600 (F-350 SRW)(4x4)
5,250 (F-350 DRW)(4x2)
5,600 (F-350 DRW)(4x4)
5,600 (F-450 4X2)
6,000 (F-450 4X4)

is from:

I think that must be for the stripped single cab.

I ordered essentially the exact config as above, except XLT Premium, carpet delete, block heater, no well liners, trailer package, but no 360 cam, and a 6.75 bed. The payload sticker says 4243.

It'll carry a Hallmark on a Bowen Custom bed replacement. Interestingly, Matt and Brent were able to get everything designed so that I can have the shorter 148" wheelbase, but carry a 8' camper without the crazy overhang.

I wouldn't get the snow plow package unless you plan to carry a snow plow. I replaced all mine with Carli anyway, but the snow plow springs without the weight will ride harsh.

PM me if you have any questions about our build.

rruff

Explorer
daaaamn, that is sweet. is that yours/do you know who made that bed?

Not mine... there are standard service bodies like that for sale everywhere. I think you will want custom though, because they are typically too tall for a camper (at least if you want to get your CG low), and made to fit on narrow open-C frames.

Regarding those open-C frames... pretty sure these service bodies are hard-mounted... but they probably get away with it because they don't use them for offroading. The service body is stout and stiff it makes the rear end torsionally stiff, but the issue would be at the transition... around the most forward mounting point. Most likely if you beefed that part of the frame up and gradually transitioned it forward, it would be ok offroad.

1000arms

Max. Front GAWRlbs.
5,250 (F-250)(4x2)
5,600 (F-250)(4x4)
5,250 (F-350 SRW)(4x2)
5,600 (F-350 SRW)(4x4)
5,250 (F-350 DRW)(4x2)
5,600 (F-350 DRW)(4x4)
5,600 (F-450 4X2)
6,000 (F-450 4X4)

is from:

I think that must be for the stripped single cab.

I ordered essentially the exact config as above, except XLT Premium, carpet delete, block heater, no well liners, trailer package, but no 360 cam, and a 6.75 bed. The payload sticker says 4243.

It'll carry a Hallmark on a Bowen Custom bed replacement. Interestingly, Matt and Brent were able to get everything designed so that I can have the shorter 148" wheelbase, but carry a 8' camper without the crazy overhang.

I wouldn't get the snow plow package unless you plan to carry a snow plow. I replaced all mine with Carli anyway, but the snow plow springs without the weight will ride harsh.

PM me if you have any questions about our build.
Those numbers aren't payloads. Those are the maximum front axle GAWRs for a given configuration (250/350/450, 4x2/4x4, SRW/DRW).

@discohead might want the Snow Plow / Camper Package for carrying a plow, carrying things on the front other than a plow, supporting the load of a long cabover camper, supporting the load of heavy occupants (and/or heavy gear stored in the cab), ...

If one looks at the steps (weight change) between the maximum front GAWRs, the steps are in hundreds of pounds, not thousands of pounds. One might want the potential payload increase, even if one didn't have any of the possible reasons I listed. :)

The maximum rear axle GAWRs are:

Max. Rear GAWR6,340 lbs. (F-250 4x2)
6,340 lbs. (F-250 4x4)
7,230 lbs. (F-350 SRW)(4x2)
7,230 lbs. (F-350 SRW)(4x4)
10,300 lbs. (F-350 DRW)(4x2)
9,900 lbs. (F-350 DRW)(4x4)
9,900 lbs. (F-450 DRW)(4x2)
9,900 lbs. (F-450 DRW)(4x4)

eyemgh

Those numbers aren't payloads. Those are the maximum front axle GAWRs for a given configuration (250/350/450, 4x2/4x4, SRW/DRW).

@discohead might want the Snow Plow / Camper Package for carrying a plow, carrying things on the front other than a plow, supporting the load of a long cabover camper, supporting the load of heavy occupants (and/or heavy gear stored in the cab), ...

If one looks at the steps (weight change) between the maximum front GAWRs, the steps are in hundreds of pounds, not thousands of pounds. One might want the potential payload increase, even if one didn't have any of the possible reasons I listed. :)

The maximum rear axle GAWRs are:

Max. Rear GAWR6,340 lbs. (F-250 4x2)
6,340 lbs. (F-250 4x4)
7,230 lbs. (F-350 SRW)(4x2)
7,230 lbs. (F-350 SRW)(4x4)
10,300 lbs. (F-350 DRW)(4x2)
9,900 lbs. (F-350 DRW)(4x4)
9,900 lbs. (F-450 DRW)(4x2)
9,900 lbs. (F-450 DRW)(4x4)

OOPS! My Bad! It's funny how one sees what they think they should see. (y)

montypower

Adventure Time!
Couple thoughts...

Pass on dual alternators (not needed) added complexity. Same with dual batteries (save engine bay room and weight).

Don't think the snow plow package or HD spring package will be enjoyable. Extremely rough ride. You'll want to upgrade suspension either way...

4.30 Axle gears!!! Best cheap factory option. They are thick cut too (strong).

Rear Locking differential. This is a must have.

I'd highly recommend the vinyl seats and vinyl flooring. The rest of the options are just preference/luxury choices.

Sweet truck build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles