Who's lining up to buy a 2023 Sequoia and NOT a 2022 Tundra?

ricoisme26

Just curious who else prefers the Sequoia (at a glance) to the Tundra? Styling of the Tundra is growing on me which helps that the Sequoia shares headlights and fenders with the Tundra. I think the Tundra just missed marks on payload and towing, etc.

phsycle

Adventurer
The new Sequoia is a huge improvement over the last Gen. Love the more aggressive styling vs the crossover-esque look of the previous gen. Glad they did away with IRS and now has an available rear locker. More room than a LC. I’d prob choose it over an LC, honestly.

But I’m a truck guy so I wouldn’t get one personally but kudos to Toyota. Should sell well.

XJLI

Adventurer
Looks like it's *is* the LC300... with a different styling and badge. Am I wrong?

More than likely. Toyota has shifted (like every other manufacturer) to modular platforms, because it's cheaper. Toyota has always been about efficiency, which is why in a 100 or 200 you still got parts bin pieces like switches from a Corolla. So it makes sense to shift it all over to one. The 200 and matching-gen Tundra front ends are 90% the same, too. I'm curious as to where this will go and how the aftermarket will respond (like crazy, probably).

Though it will be interesting to see the response from Toyota and LC people. The 80 and 100 were "real Land Cruisers" because they were made to a standard in Japan, using drivetrain and suspension parts that were only for the Land Cruiser to prove they could withstand the abuse of being a ROW utility vehicle in crazy conditions. The 200 was still made in Japan, but it shares a lot of parts with the US-made Tundra. Whats the thought on that now? Is the "corporate standard" at Toyota good enough? When you can swap CVs and control arms from Tundra to Seqouia to LC300, and soon 4Runner and Tacoma... what's the thought on that?

bkg

Explorer
More than likely. Toyota has shifted (like every other manufacturer) to modular platforms, because it's cheaper. Toyota has always been about efficiency, which is why in a 100 or 200 you still got parts bin pieces like switches from a Corolla. So it makes sense to shift it all over to one. The 200 and matching-gen Tundra front ends are 90% the same, too. I'm curious as to where this will go and how the aftermarket will respond (like crazy, probably).

Though it will be interesting to see the response from Toyota and LC people. The 80 and 100 were "real Land Cruisers" because they were made to a standard in Japan, using drivetrain and suspension parts that were only for the Land Cruiser to prove they could withstand the abuse of being a ROW utility vehicle in crazy conditions. The 200 was still made in Japan, but it shares a lot of parts with the US-made Tundra. Whats the thought on that now? Is the "corporate standard" at Toyota good enough? When you can swap CVs and control arms from Tundra to Seqouia to LC300, and soon 4Runner and Tacoma... what's the thought on that?

Great questions. There's a fanboy component to the name that tends to ignore the underlying details like shared components.

I do think the Sequoia going back to solid axle is very interesting... and honestly, it's what generated my quetsion.

XJLI

Adventurer
Great questions. There's a fanboy component to the name that tends to ignore the underlying details like shared components.

I do think the Sequoia going back to solid axle is very interesting... and honestly, it's what generated my quetsion.

Yup. There is no doubt that Toyota did and continues to make great vehicles. But when the whole "25 year service life" 80 series came about in 1990, having a car for 25 years was unheard of, even if it was another Toyota. Once we got to the mid 2000s, almost any vehicle bought new could last 250k and 25 years as long as you did the required routine maintenance. That legendary longevity that Toyota cut it's teeth on spread to the rest of the industry. The UZ V8 n the 100 is a fantastic motor, and when it came out in the early 90s in the LS400 it was unheard of to have a such smooth running V8 with that sort of linear power delivery, and have it last 500k miles. Then GM debuted the LS motor, and to this day it is still one of the best motors in the world. Any LS V8 will chew dirt it's whole life and run forever. The turbo Ford V6s have shown everyone what that sort of setup can do, so Toyota is doing it as well now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the fanboyism is deserved towards the 90s trucks. But Toyota (like every other manufacturer) only wants to continue to sell cars and make a profit. They don't care about the 1,500 worldwide "Land Cruiser Enthusiasts" unless they can get them in the door to buy product.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You’re right they don’t care about the enthusiast market (FJ Cruzer showed that), but you’re dead wrong about the numbers. IH8MUD has 155,000 members alone. And they are ALL enthusiasts.

Arktikos

Explorer
Looks like it's *is* the LC300... with a different styling and badge. Am I wrong?

It has the same frame as the LC300, with arguably a better engine. TRD Pro model should provide a fairly stout suspension.

I don't care for it aesthetically. After buying an 80 series less than one year ago for about 1/10 the price of this new Sequoia, I'll pass.

jmodz

I think this sequoia is exactly why we aren’t getting the new LC300 in N. America. Enthusiasts will always prefer the badge to say Land Cruiser but on paper they are going to be very very similar.
I asked it in the LC thread, but does anybody know if the locker is optional on all trims or just the TRD pro?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
How many of them are LC200/300 enthusiasts whom would pay $90-120K for a new LC?

I don’t think ANY “enthusiast” is buying trucks like that. Lots of them do own 200s, but a ton of us WOULD buy a 70 Series doublecab diesel if it were available here, which was my point. Toyota does not care what we want. They care about what they can sell, and most North Americans seem brainwashed to think they need the biggest luxury filled turd they can find. It’s sad really, but that’s what a market driven economy is all about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online