Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

dmulk

I placed my order online. When I ordered I was told the wait time was 6 months, which would have been Sept/Oct. But hey, at least I’ll be getting the Gen 3! One of their recent posts on Instagram seems to show a J30 with the newer, wider rear glass.

JOOC, what order number are you and any change to your online status / comms about hitting the January build target from John?

If timing permits, happy to pick you up while you wait for them to install (assuming you're having it done in San Diego) and take you to one of the very good Mexican food places we have around here. ?????

-Dan

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Awesome. I've asked for brackets on both sides of my UM build. Jooc, is there a security solution for those of us that live in crappy areas where things like to walk? Some sort of locking system or does it come down to security bolts, etc?
Thank you!
Dan
The brackets from ironman can be secured with padlocks if wanted. That just keeps the honest guy honest though IMO. I'm of the opinion that if someone wants the awning I'd rather them slip it off and go then break my top trying to pry it off. My awning hangs on an extra set of brackets in my shed when I'm not using it so that minimizes theft when I'm in towns. It also saves the awning from winter weather.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Okay guys,
As promised I am revealing my Hinge Tamers for the Ursa Minor tops. These will fit the JKU and JLU tops. They are built out of formed Kydex sheets and include replacement stainless steel bolts and washers. I worked on a couple prototypes before I was happy, and with the learning curve of how to work with the materials, sourcing the hardware and equipment it took a little longer than I initially expected. I wanted to make sure I had a quality item before I released them to you so I hope you all understand the wait! You will still need to close the top as instructed by Ursa Minor, but you'll no longer have to worry about the bellow effect causing the tent fabric to get pinched and cut when trying to latch it shut. It seems like no matter how diligent I've been in the last two years, I have some holes in my top. This invention of mine will prevent that for you and guard against holes. Here's a pic, a short video of them in action and a link to the auction site. I made twenty to start. If they sell I may make more.IMG-3817.jpg

campertramper

Smart idea. This indeed does help to make the Ursa Minor better and seems likely to extend the life of the tent fabric (that alone should justify the cost). My order is in! Thank you for making the effort to share your solution with the rest of us!

CaliMat

Okay guys,
As promised I am revealing my Hinge Tamers for the Ursa Minor tops. These will fit the JKU and JLU tops. They are built out of formed Kydex sheets and include replacement stainless steel bolts and washers. I worked on a couple prototypes before I was happy, and with the learning curve of how to work with the materials, sourcing the hardware and equipment it took a little longer than I initially expected. I wanted to make sure I had a quality item before I released them to you so I hope you all understand the wait! You will still need to close the top as instructed by Ursa Minor, but you'll no longer have to worry about the bellow effect causing the tent fabric to get pinched and cut when trying to latch it shut. It seems like no matter how diligent I've been in the last two years, I have some holes in my top. This invention of mine will prevent that for you and guard against holes. Here's a pic, a short video of them in action and a link to the auction site. I made twenty to start. If they sell I may make more.View attachment 702243

Looking great, ordered a set for myself and a buddy of mine. Thank you for developing and making this available to us.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Round felt furniture pads with a sticky backing. Slide them in where the Ursa Minor is making contact with the sound bar. Easy fix!
I did the same thing with some simple hardware store weatherstripping. I just pulled the soundbar down and applied it the full length of the front edge between the top and the bar. That noise will drive you insane!

eytonpay

9 left...(i'm surprised these didn't all sell on day 1. I guess that it shows that few UM owners are watching this forum daily with alerts...)

I’m watching and love the idea. I’m new to my J30 and being honest the price of the bracket is what has kept me from ordering yet. I’m still very interested but trying to consider how much it is worth to me. That said, I’m not trying to discredit the quality and time it took to design. I love the innovation here. I’m sure I’ll be buying this in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I’m watching and love the idea. I’m new to my J30 and being honest the price of the bracket is what has kept me from ordering yet. I’m still very interested but trying to consider how much it is worth to me. That said, I’m not trying to discredit the quality and time it took to design. I love the innovation here. I’m sure I’ll be buying this in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could definitely save money copying my design and building them yourself. It isn't rocket science or anything. It took me a couple tries to get them how I liked them, but if you consider your time is free and want to spend a day or two figuring it out and order the materials this can be done. The material can be cut on a table saw. You could use something else, but you'll want to make sure it's perfectly straight with such a long piece. You'll need at the least a drill, a way to bend them ( I used a metal break) and a way to heat them without distorting the material (it gets wavy). The material I used is Kydex and it might be readily available in your area. I had to order sheets of it to find some that was long enough and to make the quantity that I wanted, but I live in a rural area. I used a belt sander for rough sanding the edges and shaping the corners. You don't want the guards to snag the fabric and cut or tear it! I built a jig with steel and a welder so they would all be exact, but for a one off you wouldn't need that. PM me if you need any help. My intention was not trying to get rich here, just break even on some of the equipment I had to buy, the materials and my time. I figured if I was going to go through all the work to figure it out, it made more sense to build several since this fixes a common problem. I really struggled over the price I was going to charge and it ended up being a simple mathematical calculation once I added all my costs up.

Red_shift

For those of you with Ursa Minor J30's, how easy is it to get upstairs with the back seats in place? Seems as though most owners I've seen on Youtube have Goose Gear seat delete systems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles