2016 Ram Rebel Slow build

jpop8807

Observer
So I've been through quite a few vehicles over the past few years. A 2011 Tacoma, A 2011 Ram 1500 single cab work truck, 2 Hummer H3 alphas. Now after a long hiatus of no off road vehicles ( got out of the army didn't make the best life decisions) I'm back with a 2016 Ram Rebel. I purchased it in Wisconsin, due to the fact the truck and suv market here in Colorado is insane. Found the same in grey here with 3 thousand more miles for almost 10k more. Thank you autotrader, and that amazing 15 hour drive home. I was initially looking for a midsize truck or suv, but they all were out of my price range.

So the good
Better gas mileage, and power than most of my previous vehicles, was surprised especially with the Hemi, and it coming with 285 70R17s in E load Toyo AT2's.
More interior space compartments everywhere, and that fold-out deck thing when the seats go up is super nice
Also the crawl ratio, and center diff split is supposed to be better then normal rams but due to this is doesn't have 4wd auto (if that matters)

The bad
For an offroad oriented vehicle minus the other Ram I owned the first gen rebels do not come with a rear or front locker.
The rear exit dual exhaust looks beautiful, but totally kills a bit of the departure angle, lets just say scrapped those up a bit.
I might have to get the drivers seat re upholstered I think someone rather large sat on the edge constantly I feel like I slide left.

The ugly
The F*#$ing air ride. At first I loved it impress the girls with entry/exit mode as i lower the truck for them before I get the door, ride was pretty nice, and offroad mode gives you that extra inch or two of clearance. Well I've had it for about 8 months, we finally got our first super cold snow in Colorado Springs, as I'm driving 45 minutes to work. Service Air Ride, Service Trailer brake, Service ABS/ESC. Needless to say for the past week I've been riding on bump stops, with compressed air shocks. Being this is my only vehicle. If you have one make sure you get the extended warranty which I didn't, or delete that crap asap. I'm waiting for my monroe air ride delete. It's basically factory springs, and shocks, but that will have to do for the time being. After christmas funds are low.

Update1/4/23
After being torn on suspension ideas I ended up going with the Bilstien 6112's in the front, and 5100's in the rear with an Icon 1.5 spring in the rear. The ride is way better I went with the Monroe air ride kick(pretty much factory ram suspension) first. Once my funds got better I looked into lifts, and different level kits. I wanted ICON everything but after reading about the not-so-good customer service, and issues leaking right away I steered clear of their shocks. Then I read about the Bilstien 6112's a 2.5 inch shock, and if you get the full setup comes with the springs. I had 4wp put it at the highest setting I could get to make it roughly level with the 1.5 Icon rear spring. Honestly it rides better and smoother than the Monroes, or even the factory air ride. I read if you buy the 6112 with the spring (not reusing your own) that it was set up for the weight of your vehicle. No complaints highly recommend it. The rear 1.5 Icon lift spring is also smoother than my rear bag ever was. The downside I will probably have to change that if I ever start adding significant weight. the 5100's handle the ride without a problem. I wanted the 5160's but they were back ordered it took me 4 months to get my 6112's. I also went with go rhino side steps they aren't sliders, but they sit high to the body are pretty strong, and save me from door dings and random rocks messing up my paint anymore than before.

So current mods

285/75R17 Nitto Terragrappler g2's ( I heard you can put 315's on but I'm glad I didn't the 285s barely tuck with my air ride being blown 315 I would be sitting on the tire.)

Update as of 1/4/23 https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2016-ram-rebel-slow-build.230025/post-3076099
Bilstien 6112s max setting fronts
Bilstien 5100s in the rear
Icon Rear 1.5 lift coil spring
Go Rhino RB20 Raptor style side steps

Future mods

I love the approach angle on the factory bumper so I would most likely do the vice designs hidden winch.

Possibly the decked truck storage system

Lighting as the factory lighting on the 1st gen rebels is abysmal.

Potentially see if there is a rear locker option.

Still on the fence of a rack or topper, and a rtt down the road. I use my truck as my daily and use the bed pretty frequently.

Some Variation of on board air

20210430_141356.jpg
20210430_184823.jpg
20210430_141513.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nice looking truck. (y) The Ram was on our list when we went truck shopping in 2019 but we went with the F-150 instead.

I do think the Ram is one of the best looking trucks made today. The hood scoops are a nice touch too.

For some reason I thought the Rebel package came with the rear locker?

Did you get the bigger gas tank? That was a huge point in favor of the F-150 for me, the option of a 36 gallon tank. I think the Ram had a 33 gallon option but the base model 26 gallon tanks on most domestic half tons seems way too small for a full sized truck (GM has no optional fuel tank for the crew cab model so I crossed them off the list right away.)

Bummer about the air suspension but I think the solution you would likely be happiest with would be buy once/cry once vs going incrementally.

nickw

Adventurer
Nice looking truck. (y) The Ram was on our list when we went truck shopping in 2019 but we went with the F-150 instead.

I do think the Ram is one of the best looking trucks made today. The hood scoops are a nice touch too.

Did you get the bigger gas tank? That was a huge point in favor of the F-150 for me, the option of a 36 gallon tank. I think the Ram had a 33 gallon option but the base model 26 gallon tanks on most domestic half tons seems way too small for a full sized truck (GM has no optional fuel tank for the crew cab model so I crossed them off the list right away.)

Bummer about the air suspension but I think the solution you would likely be happiest with would be buy once/cry once vs going incrementally.
Agreed - the Rebel was on my short list as well. They have pretty good payload too (from memory) but to your point, 99% of the ones I found had the small tank.

jpop8807

Observer

The new 2018 or 19 and up body style comes with the rear e locker. Just way out of my price range. I was looking at fx4s but the only ones in my price range I found were in Georgia and Florida ? too long of a drive.

Oh ya that's another funny thing the sales person told my it was a 32. On the drive back my gas light would come on at 24. Most I got in it was 25.6. I didn't want to text it another fca issue with Ram I found out is that some of the rebels didn't get the gas something recalibrated the sticker wore off on the tank so I couldn't tell by that but recently I just wanted to test a theory. I got 28 in it. So I'm assuming I have the 32 lol.

jpop8807

Observer
Agreed - the Rebel was on my short list as well. They have pretty good payload too (from memory) but to your point, 99% of the ones I found had the small tank.

Turns out according to the original sales paper that I just found is says 32 gallon option. We shall see though lol.

jpop8807

Observer
FYI, I think Carli is working on the Ram 1500 suspensions now if you want something high-end.

I did look at carli the have 2 options a commuter series for 2800 fox shocks, a spring made for the back, and something else. Then the one with king shocks for around 4600. Both look ************ but for the 1500 it looks more desert go fast oriented. Something about the rear replacement springs not being designed for much weight, but can do jumps and handle go fast stuff.

tacollie

Glamper
If you're going to do something high end talk to Jed at Armorolgy. He has experience with they stuff including AEV. It's nice to be able to get tech support on that stuff locally.

mekcanix

Camper
I too have a 16 Rebel. Got it a year and a half ago. I love my truck, it had the air suspension already removed. But I replaced the cheap ready struts the dealer installed with 3" N3 Lift struts from rough country and N3 shocks out back. Also installed the rough country upper arms, so far I love the set up, but its really stiff when the temps hit -30C and lower, gotta love Winterpeg.
I also recently installed the Trakmotive extended travel CV shafts out front just for peace of mind.
I am running 285 75 R17 KO2 on the stock rims which I also love, but I threw on , GASP, 1-1/2 wheel spacers so the tires cleared the upper arms. So far its awesome all the suspension stuff was worked on this past summer between camping trips.
I think the seat thing is a ram thing because mine is shot as well.
The vice design is really good for the winch, but I am cheap so I built my own.
I run a cap and bed slide and I get way more Smiles to the gallon then miles to the gallon.

Enjoy the truck I can't wait to see what you do

Last edited:

D45

Explorer
So the air bags are able to be deleted and removed without affecting anything or causing any problems?

4 corner air bags or?

Do all Rebel trucks come with air bags or is it an option?

mekcanix

Camper
There are companys selling airbag delete kits. But its a ready strut for the front and springs for the back, my truck still had the original Bilstein's on the back. The complicated parts is you need ALFAOBD to be able to cancel the air ride option in the computer or it gives alarms and lights on the dash, hell mine was still trying to add air the bags that were no longer there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles