Need recommendations for new tough rain shell

DaveM

Explorer
I need a new rain shell, looking for recommendations for brands I may not know about. Current shell is the Fjallraven Skogso, which I love! The fabric is a tough poly cotton blend or something. Lots of pockets, good fit, excellent hood etc. My only gripe is that its a waxed shell and while it works great in light rain/cold-mist etc, it always lets me down in full rain after about 15 minutes (I re-wax often). FJallraven has an eco shell line that is full waterproof and I think similarly tough material, but they are expensive (even for Fjallraven). Looking for some alternatives along the same line: Tough fabric like material, but fully waterproof, no treatments required.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have a Duluth Trading Whaleback for cold weather wetness. For warm I have one of their lighter coats. Both keep me bone-dry.
The Whaleback is really really warm btw.

pluton

Adventurer
If the OP, or anyone, is the kind of person for whom rain jackets tend to last 20 or 30 years (like me), get one that uses Gore Tex as the breathable barrier. All the other Gore Tex competitors, like DryVent, Entrant, MemBrain, H2ono, etc , etc, probably won't last past about the 15 year mark. At some point, they disintegrate and turn to powder.
Of course, if you tend to trash rain gear in a few years, it doen't matter. The less durable materials will be fine.

gatorgrizz27

Kuiu makes really, really good rain gear and isn’t tailored for “dad bods”.

I have two of their older jackets, this one is supposed to be extremely durable.

grizzlypath

I gave up on breathable jackets and fell back on what fisherman use in my hometown- full blown rubber. For when you no ******** don't want to get soaked. Grundens Rain Jacket.

Downside: no pockets, not breathable, heavy duty so not super flexible

Upside: absolutely not permeable

Works for me since I have some classic raincoats and shells I use day-to-day, but they usually all require saturation before providing water resistance which is annoying.

Reactions: WVI

DaveM

Explorer
Kuiu makes really, really good rain gear and isn’t tailored for “dad bods”.

I have two of their older jackets, this one is supposed to be extremely durable.

That Kutana jacket looks like what I'm after. But man it's Fjallraven expensive! Need to find a used one.

gatorgrizz27

That Kutana jacket looks like what I'm after. But man it's Fjallraven expensive! Need to find a used one.

They aren’t, but they run pretty decent sales regularly. I‘ve bought almost everything I have from them on sale. Sign up for their email list and they will let you know. I think you also get 20% off one item for your birthday IIRC.

Sparky09

I have the Keb Eco-Shell and it’s nice. Seems very durable so far. It’s the little things like a two way zipper and slightly longer back for bending over. I bought it used, but I’d probably pay full price if I lost it tomorrow.

• Wow
Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles