Tire Chain Thread

ripperj

Explorer
If there is already one here on Expo please point the way.

I have never had chains for my truck. We used to chain our tractors for logging when I was a kid, so I have played with them a quite a bit, but these were fairly loose and had huge lugged rings.

I searched and found this with lots of good info, but thought a stand alone topic might be worth having.

I have a Ram 3500 CC LB and it will have my Northstar Adventurer on it most of the time.

I intend to spend lots of time in VT/NH and Maine during the winter.

I was just up there this past week, and it was a perfect example of why I need a set of chains.
The weather was great, but there was snow most nights. Two of the days were that perfect combo of sun and mid 30s that makes snow that instantly fills lugs and makes perfect tire shaped holes in the snow that are hard as a rock and as smooth as glass if you spin a tire even one turn :)

We saw two nasty wrecks from idiots driving too fast, one flipped and required extraction through the roof.

I’d like to invest in a good set of chains(all 4 tires)
They need to be semi easy to install and remove, as my driving goes from unplowed class 4 or worse road to plowed asphalt state roads where traffic is moving.

I thought(am still thinking) about actual snow tires, but they are big bucks and I would tear them up on the highway.( I have a couple sets of pure snows for my wife’s and kids cars)
I think I rather have chains???

Thanks for any help!

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sturgillk

Observer
Sounds like a set of diamond pattern chains oughta work for you. They ride much nicer than the ladder pattern chains and they're easier to put on.

1000arms

... I thought (am still thinking) about actual snow tires, but they are big bucks and I would tear them up on the highway.( I have a couple sets of pure snows for my wife’s and kids cars)
I think I rather have chains??? ...
Make sure to keep weight in the truck bed to help with winter traction. The greater the maximum payload, the greater the minimum weight in the bed. This applies to 4x2 and 4x4. (I know you mentioned a camper, but you might, or might not, need more weight to load the suspension for your best winter travel.)

Dedicated winter tires would help with your trips to and from ME/NH/VT, as well as within those states. Get chains too if you think you might need them. There are some roads where possession of chains is a legal requirement for part of the year, but good winter tires will help you get to those roads. :)

ripperj

Explorer
best chain source IMO

Wow talk about chain overload….. too many choices!

Thanks for all the great input, much appreciated!

I’ll check out the quick-fit type some more.
I have the stock 285/70-r18 now, but am planning to go up a couple sizes. I need to see if I can cover both size tires with one set of chains.. guessing not.

Alloy

If there is already one here on Expo please point the way.

I have never had chains for my truck. We used to chain our tractors for logging when I was a kid, so I have played with them a quite a bit, but these were fairly loose and had huge lugged rings.

I searched and found this with lots of good info, but thought a stand alone topic might be worth having.

I have a Ram 3500 CC LB and it will have my Northstar Adventurer on it most of the time.

I intend to spend lots of time in VT/NH and Maine during the winter.

I was just up there this past week, and it was a perfect example of why I need a set of chains.
The weather was great, but there was snow most nights. Two of the days were that perfect combo of sun and mid 30s that makes snow that instantly fills lugs and makes perfect tire shaped holes in the snow that are hard as a rock and as smooth as glass if you spin a tire even one turn :)

We saw two nasty wrecks from idiots driving too fast, one flipped and required extraction through the roof.

I’d like to invest in a good set of chains(all 4 tires)
They need to be semi easy to install and remove, as my driving goes from unplowed class 4 or worse road to plowed asphalt state roads where traffic is moving.

I thought(am still thinking) about actual snow tires, but they are big bucks and I would tear them up on the highway.( I have a couple sets of pure snows for my wife’s and kids cars)
I think I rather have chains???

Thanks for any help!

Keith

It's a mistake using chains instead of winter tires.

Light duty chains don't take you far in deep snow.

V-bar chains slow you down and on plowed compact snow they are like driving on a road full of potholes.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
So, has anyone used the peerless “auto tensioning” cable things? I’ve been thinking about upgrading my chains, and hate the bungee style tensioners. I was about to order a set of old-school cam tensioned chains and came across these others. Real world experience?

billiebob

They need to be semi easy to install and remove, as my driving goes from unplowed class 4 or worse road to plowed asphalt state roads where traffic is moving
I'm confused..... ease of install is irrelevant. If you NEED to chain up I'd assume the traffic passing is also chained up..... and moving at chained up speeds closer to 30mph than 60mph. If you need chains on a truck and camper you need these.... which are pretty straight forward to install. You likely will never need chains on the front tires unless you are on a skinny, steep logging road with tight turns.

ps.... if the other traffic is moving without chains they likely have dedicated winter tires..... which are wayyyy better than any all season snowflake tread.

DSCN1941.jpeg

ripperj

Explorer
I'm confused..... ease of install is irrelevant. If you NEED to chain up I'd assume the traffic passing is also chained up..... and moving at chained up speeds closer to 30mph
View attachment 699461

As I stated(and you quoted) - it’s two different scenarios.

Most of New England is good about quickly clearing major roads down to bare asphalt( too good really, the brine and salt stuff they use just eats vehicles). So the roads are clear, traffic is going (too fast) and I can’t be doing 30 with chains :)

The back roads take much longer , and I have two situations that are private roads were plowing is not a major concern, so there is often snow on the road.

So for me, given a choice, I’d like a set of chains that were not a big pain in the backside to install and remove. (I don’t know why ease of install would be irrelevant for anyone??)

Another situation I didn’t mention is that there are times that I need to get to work, regardless of weather the roads in my neighborhood are plowed yet.

I’m now convinced a set of Hakkapeliittas are warranted, but I still want a set of chains.

Alloy

I'm confused..... ease of install is irrelevant. If you NEED to chain up I'd assume the traffic passing is also chained up..... and moving at chained up speeds closer to 30mph than 60mph. If you need chains on a truck and camper you need these.... which are pretty straight forward to install. You likely will never need chains on the front tires unless you are on a skinny, steep logging road with tight turns.

ps.... if the other traffic is moving without chains they likely have dedicated winter tires..... which are wayyyy better than any all season snowflake tread.

View attachment 699461
Install is relevant that's why I carry 2 types of chains. Diamond pattern takes 5 min to install and double duty V bar take 15-30min. It depends on how deep the snow is.

billiebob

Most of New England is good about quickly clearing major roads down to bare asphalt( too good really, the brine and salt stuff they use just eats vehicles). So the roads are clear, traffic is going (too fast) and I can’t be doing 30 with chains :)
This is why people run winter tires. There is no need for chains.

Alloy

..... and remove.
When removing the chains tie the ends together. It prevents the chains from twisting/flipping inside themselves.

I use pcs of copper wire and the inside/outside connecting links are spray painted different colors.

Bravo30

So, has anyone used the peerless “auto tensioning” cable things? I’ve been thinking about upgrading my chains, and hate the bungee style tensioners. I was about to order a set of old-school cam tensioned chains and came across these others. Real world experience?

I used a set of Konig self tensioning chains on my Sprinter van. They saved my ass a few times on city streets but I tore one off while in 6” of snow on a forest road. Too much torque and must have caught a rock or something causing a link to bend open resulting in the chain being useless. I tried to use one of the repair links they came with and that busted off as well. They’re just no good for anything but blacktop.

I highly recommend them for paved roads where you need to put them on/off for short trips or temporary situations. For anything else, get heavy duty off road chains from Pewag, Rudd etc

7D08F42A-29C3-4AB0-955D-F8BDB92E3BF7.jpeg

billiebob

Dude - I’ll consider most any opinion, but if this is your MO, then why are you cluttering up a Tire Chain topic?

Sorry, maybe out of context, ya need to read the whole thread, that comment was a reply.... to.....

"Most of New England is good about quickly clearing major roads down to bare asphalt( too good really, the brine and salt stuff they use just eats vehicles). So the roads are clear, traffic is going (too fast) and I can’t be doing 30 with chains"

We were talking about how fast one should drive with chains on.... well if the traffic is going too fast maybe you need winter tires more than chains,...

And my other comments definitley do support chains. I carry them year round cuz we get heavy snow in May and August too.

First read it all, then reply rather than cluttering up the thread with yer reaction.

ps, this is just winter tires, no chains, no studs. time and place for everything.
DSC_0003.jpeg

and the time I needed chains.... towing a trailer, up a steep drive, wet, heavy, fresh snow.... and AS, M&S tires,
altho I think even with winter tires I needed chains here.
I live this life.
IMG_0577.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles