Switching my life to "not Jeans". Can I get some recomendations for good NON JEANS

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've been wearing them for about two years now and love them.

Another budget option is these wrangler pants

I’ve sworn off cargo pockets. Except in the one pair or Crye Combat Pants that work bought me before I retired. Those have enough pockets for a lifetime!

justbecause

perpetually lost
I have been wearing ridgecut from TSC.
Things being the way they are depending on what factory and what country they were made in that day has a lot to do with what sort of pants you get even when buying "the same thing"
My most recent pair has more stretch than others, which I like. These pants have an appropriate side utility pocket. No cargo pockets. But if you are in the same room as anything that will stain, grease, oil, some dirt, etc. They stain. I have a wd40 spot on my brand new pair.

I need something that isn't tactical. I hate cargo pockets, I would rather not even have back pockets. I absolutely need something that can do double duty office and field and isn't stained from light duty work.

I'm looking at the Tad Agent pants @Osmo79 did a write up on back in 2019. Those pants are out of stock most places I've seen and listed for $180-$240

Is anyone wearing Patagonia or other hemp pants? If I'm spending $200 on a pair of pants I don't want them to be throwaway, and I'm getting to a point that how and where things are made matter to me.

Timcampsallover

Tree top flyer
I’m with you on the where and how on the whole supply chain of everything …..but I confess to really enjoying the super inexpensive and daily wear “not too tactical” Aeros pants from Propper. They resist stains and wear to a non obnoxious patina, are breathable and mostly have nice pockets in the right spots. I’ve not been able to get a better price on any pant I like since late 2020. Kuhl has really let me down since then as well on pricing, durability and sealing my frustration by not making any color I like in any pant I like since early 2020.?
Here’s where I get my Aeros and Lithos Propper pants. Currently just over $44.00 a pair before the holiday discount I think? https://tacticalgear.com/propper-aeros-pants~1

trae

Adventurer
I got a pair of Fjallraven trousers on sale. I think if/when these wear out I'd pay a full price for them: https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us...a-pro-trousers-m-reg?v=F81760R::7323450725976

They are made of a heavy weight cotton/polyester blend. They sell wax that you can apply for some water resistance where needed.
They also come with zippered vent holes if needed and reinforcements on the knees/butt. All of their pants have adjustable bottoms, so you can clip the. bottom of the pants to your boots to prevent snow/dirt ingress.

I've been really impressed with these.

pith helmet

I have been wearing ridgecut from TSC.
Things being the way they are depending on what factory and what country they were made in that day has a lot to do with what sort of pants you get even when buying "the same thing"
My most recent pair has more stretch than others, which I like. These pants have an appropriate side utility pocket. No cargo pockets. But if you are in the same room as anything that will stain, grease, oil, some dirt, etc. They stain. I have a wd40 spot on my brand new pair.

I need something that isn't tactical. I hate cargo pockets, I would rather not even have back pockets. I absolutely need something that can do double duty office and field and isn't stained from light duty work.

I'm looking at the Tad Agent pants @Osmo79 did a write up on back in 2019. Those pants are out of stock most places I've seen and listed for $180-$240

Is anyone wearing Patagonia or other hemp pants? If I'm spending $200 on a pair of pants I don't want them to be throwaway, and I'm getting to a point that how and where things are made matter to me.
I have been buying some TSC pants recently. They are super cheap and comfortable. At $14 I can afford to replace the trashed ones. Biggest complaint is that briars snag them pretty badly.
They are made in India and not China so that’s the *tiniest* consolation.

Reactions: WVI

VinmanP

I haven’t worn cotton pants (jeans or otherwise) since I began working in the outdoor retail business in 2011. I have Craghoppers, Mountain Hardware, Columbia, Arc’teryx, Salomon, Prana, and some winter climbing specific pants. I have very few cotton shirts, and those are primarily t-shirts from events and outdoor brands that I’ve dealt with. Zero cotton socks, using mostly merino wool and polyester blends.
Living in the Southeast, cotton = misery most of the year. Some of my favorite pieces are Columbia Omni Freeze Zero shirts and one pair of fishing pants. That stuff really works.

SBSYNCRO

I’m with you on the where and how on the whole supply chain of everything …..but I confess to really enjoying the super inexpensive and daily wear “not too tactical” Aeros pants from Propper. They resist stains and wear to a non obnoxious patina, are breathable and mostly have nice pockets in the right spots. I’ve not been able to get a better price on any pant I like since late 2020. Kuhl has really let me down since then as well on pricing, durability and sealing my frustration by not making any color I like in any pant I like since early 2020.?
Here’s where I get my Aeros and Lithos Propper pants. Currently just over $44.00 a pair before the holiday discount I think? https://tacticalgear.com/propper-aeros-pants~1

Curious - which has a slimmer fit the Lithos or the Aeros? I find that with my Kuhl pants I'm tired of the baggy/boxy look and looking for something more tapered.

I got a pair of Fjallraven trousers on sale. I think if/when these wear out I'd pay a full price for them: https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us/men/trousers/trekking-trousers/vidda-pro-trousers-m-reg?v=F81760R::7323450725976

They are made of a heavy weight cotton/polyester blend. They sell wax that you can apply for some water resistance where needed.
They also come with zippered vent holes if needed and reinforcements on the knees/butt. All of their pants have adjustable bottoms, so you can clip the. bottom of the pants to your boots to prevent snow/dirt ingress.

I've been really impressed with these.

I'm getting ready to buy my first pair of Fjallraven pants...I'm trying to decide between the Sörmland "hunting" pants and the Greenland Jeans. I think the Vidda looks too boxy/technical for basic overlanding/camping, though they look fantastic for mountaineering.

jeepers29

TAD Design

You might want to check out these guys.......https://tripleaughtdesign.com/

I am in the same boat as you. Jeans just aren't my personal preference anymore. I wanted something that looked good, felt comfortable, and would last awhile. I started out with a couple of pairs of the Covert RS Pants, immediately fell in love, and now I have a pair of the Legionnaire's and the Spartan's. They can take a beating, clean up nice, and the Spartan's look like dress slacks. You really have to be up close to tell that they are Rip Stop material. I have fallen in love with this brand so much that I have purchased a ton from them in the past 6 months. My wallet is hurting a bit now, but I don't regret the purchases one bit. Their stuff isn't cheap, but the old adage is "Buy Quality, and only cry once, Buy Crap, and cry many times over". Even my wife loves their stuff, she likes how they fit me (she doesn't know how much I paid though). They are constantly evolving their product line based off feedback from us. I called their customer service number once to ask a technical question about one of their packs, I ended up talking to one of the owners. We chewed the fat for almost an hour about alot of the different products they offer, and he was able to answer all of my questions and I never felt any "brush off" that you get from larger companies. I am sure that some of the other pants offered in this thread are nice, but try calling Carhartt or Prana customer service and getting someone that actually KNOWS the product and actually gives a hoot about the product.
I have a buddy that is on the local bomb squad. He loves this company. Says they are tactical pants.

SBSYNCRO

Too tight for me.
Yeah, I'm not wearing anything that lets the casual passerby know if I'm circumcised.

I've got a pair and they aren't as tight on me as they are on the model. But I'm a "slim" build at 5' 10" and 160 lbs. I don't have huge thighs, so they work well for me. My biggest gripe is the fabric - the 96% nylon/4% spandex means they shed water well and have lots of flex and are quiet, but they snag brush and provide nearly zero protection from thorns and briars. Great for trail hiking or walking the dog, but not great for hunting or any sort of bushwhacking. They also lose their shape after a couple years of seasonal wear, but for $30 they are still a great value and very comfortable.

I just ordered a pair of the Alaska Hardgear Stone Run pants (an offshoot brand of Duluth Trading Co). On sale for $67 (from $89). Good price and interesting features - cotton/nylon blend with some spandex for stretch, DWR coating, hip pocket, and internal elastic waist for crouching over a camp fire after a meal of chili and corn bread.. I'll post back impressions...

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've got a pair and they aren't as tight on me as they are on the model. But I'm a "slim" build at 5' 10" and 160 lbs. I don't have huge thighs, so they work well for me. My biggest gripe is the fabric - the 96% nylon/4% spandex means they shed water well and have lots of flex and are quiet, but they snag brush and provide nearly zero protection from thorns and briars. Great for trail hiking or walking the dog, but not great for hunting or any sort of bushwhacking. They also lose their shape after a couple years of seasonal wear, but for $30 they are still a great value and very comfortable.
lutDu
I just ordered a pair of the Alaska Hardgear Storm Run pants (an offshoot brand of Dual
I'd give them a try-on if I saw them in a store. But looking online they seem to be a bit short in the inseam for me and order/return would be a hassle.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I dont have that pair, I bought some that look similar judging by the image of the waist band. They were comfortable for a bit but the waist stretched out and now there is extra material that bunches under my belt. Also, on the pair I have and the reason I will not wear them the zippo pocket is H U G E. It is big enough to get your hand in, but not big enough to be a usable hand pocket. That means your keys can get in that pock, which is almost as deep as the regular pocket, but the pocket is just small enough that when you grab your keys then you cant easily get your hand back out of the pocket. If you're sitting and need something, forget about it.
I agree, they catch and snag I didn't wear mine very often but the fabric failed where my phone and wallet pushed from the pockets out. You get those wear marks that highschool kids pay extra for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles