OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

skyfree

What's everyone using for a mattress?

Don't go cheap and get the non-HQ type.

Thickness will depend on how thick you had the cabover made. Mine was thick enough for 3" of foam (stacked to 6" when put away). This is the best foam I've ever slept on and works as thin as 3" for side-sleeping. 4" would be better if you have room for it though! For extra comfort I can roll out another "Walmart" style cheap sleeping bag and put my mummy bag on top of that. Super comfy.

I wouldn't bother going any thicker than 4"

aaaslayer

Don't go cheap and get the non-HQ type.

Thickness will depend on how thick you had the cabover made. Mine was thick enough for 3" of foam (stacked to 6" when put away). This is the best foam I've ever slept on and works as thin as 3" for side-sleeping. 4" would be better if you have room for it though! For extra comfort I can roll out another "Walmart" style cheap sleeping bag and put my mummy bag on top of that. Super comfy.

I wouldn't bother going any thicker than 4"

Excellent tips. I'm picking up my camper this Thursday so I'll be looking for a mattress soon. Question, does that company cut the mattress to custom sizes and do they do vinyl wrapping? I wanted to go with a 4" as you recommend, but can't stack them at 8". So working with a 60x80 Queen size, I wanted to have them cut that into a section that fits perfectly up top when the bed is stowed, and the other remaining mattress will be cut into 2 long thin sections that will be bench cushions on the truck bed drawers/benches I'll make. When the bed is deployed, I would be using the 2 bench cushions to complete the queen size mattress up top. I wanted all this wrapped in a marine grade vinyl like I saw another user here do as well. Pretty much what I'm trying to achieve is the same thing that Four Wheel Campers does with their Project M mattress offering. They have a section that stays up top, and the cushions that go on the bottom and when the bed is deployed, you move the bottom cushions up top to complete your bed. This allows you to go with a thick mattress and not have to worry about stacking issues.

dstefan

I’ve used https://www.foamorder.com/ for years. They’ll make any size and shape custom foam. They’ll also make custom covers, but those take a while longer than just the foam. Not sure on the vinyl, but they do a lot for boats, so I’m guessing “yes”.

FWIW, we just stuck with our Thermarest/REI self inflating 3”foam pads we’ve used for years. We’re both very comfortable on those as long as there’s a half inch of closed cell foam underneath.We can put all bedding and pillows up top that way with the pads delflated and since they self-inflate, its no hassle.

We also found out that the composite floor of the cab over, while better than plywood or aluminum, it isn’t super insulating as it’s a hollow, not foam filled composite, so not really insulated (on our year old rig — maybe its changed?). So we have 2 1/2“ closed cell foam sheets that cover the entire composite floor under our pads. Really helps. Of course you’ll get the same benefit from a mattress UNLESS it‘s standard queen size, which wont cover the whole floor (at least in a full size truck, where the pulled out bed is 68”x81” for ours).

aaaslayer

I’ve used https://www.foamorder.com/ for years. They’ll make any size and shape custom foam. They’ll also make custom covers, but those take a while longer than just the foam. Not sure on the vinyl, but they do a lot for boats, so I’m guessing “yes”.

FWIW, we just stuck with our Thermarest/REI self inflating 3”foam pads we’ve used for years. We’re both very comfortable on those as long as there’s a half inch of closed cell foam underneath.We can put all bedding and pillows up top that way with the pads delflated and since they self-inflate, its no hassle.

We also found out that the composite floor of the cab over, while better than plywood or aluminum, it isn’t super insulating as it’s a hollow, not foam filled composite, so not really insulated (on our year old rig — maybe its changed?). So we have 2 1/2“ closed cell foam sheets that cover the entire composite floor under our pads. Really helps. Of course you’ll get the same benefit from a mattress UNLESS it‘s standard queen size, which wont cover the whole floor (at least in a full size truck, where the pulled out bed is 68”x81” for ours).

Thanks for the link I'll take a look. Good to know that I'll get more bed space with a full size truck. I was under the impression it would be a standard 60x80. I have a 6'4" power wagon bed so hoping to achieve a bigger bed as well.

ns7i

I'll check in here for now! I ordered an OVRLND in mid November (jumped ship on the eternal wait for a Vagabond Nomad) and am actively planning out my build. Might share some Sketchup ideas in a bit. Super excited to be part of the gang!

aaaslayer

I'll check in here for now! I ordered an OVRLND in mid November (jumped ship on the eternal wait for a Vagabond Nomad) and am actively planning out my build. Might share some Sketchup ideas in a bit. Super excited to be part of the gang!
please share. I leave tonight at midnight to start the 7 hr drive to AZ to pick up tomorrow morning

aaaslayer

My daughter already getting a head start on the project. lol. First thing I'll be doing is caulking the openings/seams/holes on the bed where dust enters. The larger holes will get Gorilla tape. The small seams will get caulked and then my Bed Rug. Waiting for it to warm up though. Been 50 degrees in Socal for the last 2-3 weeks. Want it to warm up so the VHB tape adheres well to the bed and my bedrug doesn't come off. If it doesn't warm up in the next week or so, I'll likely just do insulation first. Have to hit up Home Depot or Lowes for some Rmax R6 4x8 sheets

20211231_102946.jpg
20211231_102939.jpg

dstefan

Congratulations on getting the camper! Looks great. Now the fun starts!

Be happy you’re not dust sealing a Tundra. I counted some 30+ holes in the bed, including some very hidden ones. I was lucky my truck came without the factory bedrail/track system. It hides most of the holes.

aaaslayer

Be happy you’re not dust sealing a Tundra. I counted some 30+ holes in the bed, including some very hidden ones. I was lucky my truck came without the factory bedrail/track system. It hides most of the holes.
I counted I think 18. Some hidden under the bed caps/rails only visible if you crouch down. Doing sealing right now actually. Then headed to home depot.

ns7i

I’m planning on doing mine before I pick it up. Figure it’ll be easier to seal then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ns7i

please share. I leave tonight at midnight to start the 7 hr drive to AZ to pick up tomorrow morning
Here's an early stage draft. Mainly just playing around with allocation of space. I'm trying to do a lot. The "downstairs" will sleep two young children and two dogs. Big thing on the passenger side will be fridge on a slide on the bottom with some kind of "pantry/storage". Storage underneath the benches which will convert to a bed. I'm definitely planning on using a lot of the vertical wall space for velcro bags (like Blue Ridge Overland). There's a ton of great ideas on the Vagabond Drifter thread on Tacoma World (beware it'll take you many hours to go through). I won't start building anything other than a baseplate until after I have the camper on hand to confirm dimensions and play with real world fitment.

Attachments

• ss.png
    ss.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 115

dstefan

First thing I'll be doing is caulking the openings/seams/holes on the bed where dust enters. The larger holes will get Gorilla tape

Jay suggested using Butyl bead/tape to me. We used 1/4“ bought off Amazon. Worked really great to plug holes. doesn't fully harden (and crack), is tenacious and stands up to heat and cold well, but can get softer with heat. Can be peeled off easier than caulk if needed. Not a caulk substitute, not for weather exposure, but better for big hidden holes and irregular shapes. Our roof seams are sealed with this, plus an external sealing of 3m magic caulk of some sort. You knead it it and shape it by hand.

I used Gorilla tape on my Tacoma and regretted it. Doesn’t handle heat well and migrates, leaving a god-awful residue. Try Gaffer tape over Butyl bead stuffed in the hole. Works well.

Wrathchild

For sealing (prior to install) I bought one of those foam block bed sealing kits. Pulled the plastic bed rails and sealed with RTV and aluminum tape before installing new rails. Sealed bulkhead gap with RTV and bed drain holes as well before installing bed rug.

Little bit of water still gets in from under tailgate and gets under the bed rug.

I also keep one of those disposable damp rid things in the back. Have to replace every 5 months or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles