Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

larock1971

I too reached out to Blue Ridge Overland right after I saw the video with Venture4WD and was bummed when the reply was that was a one-off for Chris. I ended up buying a couple of their 12x5” Velcro Flat Pouches, the velcro backs stuck to the Ursa Minor headliner in the tent just fine. Perfect place to stow the keys, knife, chapstick, etc from my pockets at night. I also have a couple of their Velcro Medium Pouches 4x8x1 stuck to the headliner above the drivers seat, perfect place for my sun and reading glasses.

campertramper

I think black goes better with the darker colored jeeps than it does with lighter colors.

I got a white jeep and color matched the top because I am a desert rat and I love reflecting all the heat away I can.
I too reached out to Blue Ridge Overland right after I saw the video with Venture4WD and was bummed when the reply was that was a one-off for Chris. I ended up buying a couple of their 12x5” Velcro Flat Pouches, the velcro backs stuck to the Ursa Minor headliner in the tent just fine. Perfect place to stow the keys, knife, chapstick, etc from my pockets at night. I also have a couple of their Velcro Medium Pouches 4x8x1 stuck to the headliner above the drivers seat, perfect place for my sun and reading glasses.
Nice! Thanks for sharing. I actually hadn't tried Velcro on top yet, but I will now!

campertramper

Hi everyone. Please forgive my frequent posts over the holidays - as a new Ursa Minor owner I've excitedly and obsessively been reading through this entire thread and flooding fellow owners with mod related questions. Here's my latest: has anyone out there experimented with the "Froli Sleep System" under their mattress? For anyone not familiar, it adds little springs under you mattress for increased comfort and the shape is configurable which may work well with the mattress/hatch shape. It looks like the 'Travel Edition' adds just 1 3/8" of height which I believe will fit without impacting the roof closing. See https://nickleatlantic.com/collecti...i-travel-modular-bed-system?variant=709846003 . I was thinking that a double size would probably work - the Ursa Minor mattress is 85" x 51" and the double Froli is 76" x 54 which should come very close to working out when reconfigured for the shape of the UM. Froli also offers a 30 day money back guarantee in case it doesn't work. Of the 145 pages of this thread that I've read, I've not seen this topic discussed before.

FROLI editions
Our Travel model has the lowest installed height of 1 3/8" = 33 mm (this is the one I'm currently considering)
The Star model installs a little taller at 1 3/4" = 43 mm (this one might fit, but I'm not sure)
The Zona model uses baffle type springs and is the tallest with an installed height of 2 3/8" = 60 mm (I think that this one is likely too tall for the UM, but of course it's also the most comfortable).

What do you think?

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 9.57.51 AM.png

zgfiredude

Hi everyone. Please forgive my frequent posts over the holidays - as a new Ursa Minor owner I've excitedly and obsessively been reading through this entire thread and flooding fellow owners with mod related questions. Here's my latest: has anyone out there experimented with the "Froli Sleep System" under their mattress? For anyone not familiar, it adds little springs under you mattress for increased comfort and the shape is configurable which may work well with the mattress/hatch shape. It looks like the 'Travel Edition' adds just 1 3/8" of height which I believe will fit without impacting the roof closing. See https://nickleatlantic.com/collecti...i-travel-modular-bed-system?variant=709846003 . I was thinking that a double size would probably work - the Ursa Minor mattress is 85" x 51" and the double Froli is 76" x 54 which should come very close to working out when reconfigured for the shape of the UM. Froli also offers a 30 day money back guarantee in case it doesn't work. Of the 145 pages of this thread that I've read, I've not seen this topic discussed before.

FROLI editions
Our Travel model has the lowest installed height of 1 3/8" = 33 mm (this is the one I'm currently considering)
The Star model installs a little taller at 1 3/4" = 43 mm (this one might fit, but I'm not sure)
The Zona model uses baffle type springs and is the tallest with an installed height of 2 3/8" = 60 mm (I think that this one is likely too tall for the UM, but of course it's also the most comfortable).

What do you think?

View attachment 698818
I just installed the Froli in my teardrop trailer.....super easy, flexible, and YES it makes a huge difference in comfort. I've not had it out yet, but my nap was awesome. You can ask me any Froli specific questions if you like.

dmulk

So, I placed my order online back at the end of May (5/26/21). For months it's sat "Pending" in the portal. Today I noticed that the status has changed to "Production Backlog" meaning it's likely in the pipeline at the molding shop at this point. According to the guys at the SD shop, there was a 9 month wait-list when I ordered. Pleasant and busy chaps there. Basically mentioned that sending email to John was the best way to confirm that features were correct.

Over the months I've send a few emails to John asking for confirmation of order details I provided in email (like latches positioned on front so it clears my larger ARB awning, awning mounts on both sides, etc) because the online ordering portal lacks either the options to select or a notes section. Haven't heard anything for months or any confirmation on these details.

Called and left a message now. Timing puts me sometime in February and I'm starting to feel the home stretch, lack of communication, anxiety most feel in this phase. Lol. Hoping they get this right the first time. I'll report back as the process continues with the pros and cons.

Also have some ideas about some MOLLE / Velcro based pouch storage in the top. Very much look forward to modding once I get it.

Cheers,
-Dan

campertramper

I have the ARB 1250 on the back of mine - it's been there for 4+ years now.
To be honest, it's not great. It's just so narrow that if the rain is coming in even a little bit sideways you only get about a 1 foot strip in the middle that is actually rain free. With side walls it would be better, but actually on my next vehicle build I'm going for a side-mounted batwing.
The "covered" area provided by the 1250 is just too small to be useful for me.

-Dan
Dan, before you left for Australia did you try these ARB wind breaks? I haven't tried them yet but they seem like they would at least partially solve your staying dry problem with the 1250. https://arbusa.com/tents-awnings-camping/awnings-accessories/

Screenshot_20211228-091219.png

campertramper

Anyone find or make a ceiling net for the rear cargo area? Blue Ridge Overland Gear’s vehicle attic is designed to go over the rear seats, but I’m looking for something that will allow me to store lightweight stuff behind the rear roll bar. Perhaps it can be modified?

View attachment 659353
How did you solve for this problem in the end? Here is what I've come up with using Velcro MOLLE panels that stick to the roof of the UM. I've also made a little video which I'll figure out how to upload shortly.
Screenshot_20211228-105210.png

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

that_dude

So, I placed my order online back at the end of May (5/26/21). For months it's sat "Pending" in the portal. Today I noticed that the status has changed to "Production Backlog" meaning it's likely in the pipeline at the molding shop at this point. According to the guys at the SD shop, there was a 9 month wait-list when I ordered. Pleasant and busy chaps there. Basically mentioned that sending email to John was the best way to confirm that features were correct.

Over the months I've send a few emails to John asking for confirmation of order details I provided in email (like latches positioned on front so it clears my larger ARB awning, awning mounts on both sides, etc) because the online ordering portal lacks either the options to select or a notes section. Haven't heard anything for months or any confirmation on these details.

Called and left a message now. Timing puts me sometime in February and I'm starting to feel the home stretch, lack of communication, anxiety most feel in this phase. Lol. Hoping they get this right the first time. I'll report back as the process continues with the pros and cons.

Also have some ideas about some MOLLE / Velcro based pouch storage in the top. Very much look forward to modding once I get it.

Cheers,
-Dan
My order still says “pending”. I ordered on 3/31 and was last told mine should go into production around the second week of Jan. I haven’t heard anything else yet.

I have had decent results emailing John and getting a response, but I’ve asked him a few times to ship the harness to me so I can pre-install it, but so far nothing.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Does anyone on here have experience with the AEV fuel caddy? I'm looking into extra fuel options and the fuel caddy looks nice, I'm just curious if I'd be smelling it all night in the top?

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I have my JKU fitted with both AEV Fuel Caddy and Ursa Minor camper and I assure you that I don’t smell any gasoline fumes while I’m up there.
Same, don't smell it.

My wife who smells everything is quite apprehensive about a fuel tank in that location and suggests I buy a Long Range America tank for the Jeep. The cheapskate in me likes the price of the AEV caddy, but not if it won't work for her. If she doesn't come along with me then the whole thing is a waste of money, lol!

zgfiredude

My wife who smells everything is quite apprehensive about a fuel tank in that location and suggests I buy a Long Range America tank for the Jeep. The cheapskate in me likes the price of the AEV caddy, but not if it won't work for her. If she doesn't come along with me then the whole thing is a waste of money, lol!
Might be easier to buy her her own Jeep......:unsure:;)

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have both (don't like gas stations). The LRA is worth the money, no fuss and you don't have to worry about gas on your hands from siphon, etc. Just my $.02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles