Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

180out

I hear you re the colour and heat... but most folk here don't venture far in the full summer. There will be days when we wish we had a white truck, but the plan is not to stay in Oz... We'll do a lap in winter when it's a little cooler, then either ship to NZ or Africa.

Re the paint, I believe it to be a two pack paint.. It's hard, and he needs a special filter, and when we do the whole body, the workshop will have to be closed, and a fancy extractor with filter will be set up in the small door. Had I done it, it'd have just been a simple equipment enamel! :)
cant wait to see it all done

Sitec

Adventurer
So yesterday was a good day. We managed to get the whole of the Hab Box cleaned and primed in etch primer... It's amazing paint that has really bonded well with the Aluminium. The masking up took longer than the painting!

Final leg 19.jpg

This morning the painter arrived early. He was a man on a mission! By lunch time he had the whole Hab Box lightly sanded and wiped clean, and he was ready for top coats (2-3 of them)!

Final leg 21.jpg

It looks dark with the workshop doors closed. I couldnt resist, so after a few hours un masked the rear. I love the colour.

Final leg 24.jpg

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I can't tell from the photos, but lightly pre scoring the paint where it might flex and crack at seams, could be called for? A lot depends on how the panels move, which is based on fastening method and adhesive used. A clean break at the score mark, is often a lot less obvious than an irregular break if the paint gets cracked.

Sitec

Adventurer
Yup, thats on the cards to do. One of the reasons I clad the Hab Box over winter and we are painting it in spring is so that in theory we'll ony get panel expansion, and next to no contraction. Of course, all that said, the first trip into the Flinders Ranges, or across the Simpson Desert and we'll have scratches and cracks all over it! :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, after a long week, we have a painted truck! There's still a lot to do before I can use it... Like bolting everything back on the cab for a start... but here's a look at the painted result. It's not a great pic, as the sun was low in the trees this evening, and made it look like about 20 different greys, but you'll get the idea.

Final leg 25.jpg

Before I had to go in for the night, I did get a few easy things bolted back on! The next few weeks will be spent refitting the doors, painting the roof rack, fitting rear clearance lights etc etc. Once it's all on I'll post a few more pictures before starting on the interior!

Final leg 26.jpg

Last edited:

Sitec

Adventurer
Small update here. I'm waiting on the roof rack and cab steps to be shot blasted so they have a good surface for painting on, so while I'm waiting, Wifetec and I have got on with insulating the roof. I have also started on the sleeping area. Before the sleeping platform could go down, I had to build the three clothes storage lockers and line them.

Final leg 30.jpg

The bottom one is for my clothes, and runs back under the middle compartment which is for dirty linen. Lastly the top compartment is for Wifetec's clothes, and is the larger of the three.

Final leg 31.jpg

I have the side panels between the compartments to insulate and line, then it'll be onto roof wiring and ceiling sheeting.

Sitec

Adventurer
The last few days have been busy. The temp is warming which always makes the amount of energy and motivation seem to dwindle. It's also not condusive to painting, but we have managed to get on and shot blast the roof rack and its associated parts, etch prime and paint it and manage to get it atop the cab without disaster! There are no pics of the rigging to get it there as some dodgy lifting was occuring, but here it is mounted for hopefully the last time!

Final leg 32.jpg

The blue badge came with the later grille so will change. It'd be nice to have 340hp, but it will read 1222A Overland Class and be backed by red not blue as I think it'll work in better with the grey, black and silver.

Final leg 33.jpg

Now to wire all those lights in!

Final leg 35.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94