Mechanic's take on Ford Bronco

ChasingOurTrunks

I believe that is the transmission pan, not the engine oil pan. I hope I am not wrong.

I just re-read it and you are 100% correct, I must have gone to quick on my first read. Thanks for the correction.

Still though, I prefer being able to change fluids without fancy tools, though I admit the interval on a trans fluid change is far longer than on oil changes so this is less of an issue.

I just did a quick google, and it looks like the Bronco does indeed have an oil drain plug (https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-engine-oil-change-guide-168666.html)

85_Ranger4x4

The way the world is going, nothing can be fixed, you need a new battery for your iphone, you have to buy a new phone. Cars the same thing, the manufacturers are doing everything they can to trash 5 years old cars and sell a new one. It will take government intervention and regulations to reverse this trend.

Not sure Ford has ever had a drain plug in an automatic transmission pan. I know my Ranger's stock A4LD did not, neither did the C5 that replaced or the C4 I have sitting in the shed.

Dropping the pain is only really done to change the filter, you only get a couple quarts out of the pan. If you want to change the fluid flush it so you can get more than a tiny fraction of it out.

And vehicles are lasting longer than ever.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Not sure Ford has ever had a drain plug in an automatic transmission pan. I know my Ranger's stock A4LD did not, neither did the C5 that replaced or the C4 I have sitting in the shed.

Dropping the pain is only really done to change the filter, you only get a couple quarts out of the pan. If you want to change the fluid flush it so you can get more than a tiny fraction of it out.

And vehicles are lasting longer than ever.

The 5R110W tranny in my 2007 E350 most definitely has a drain plug. And an external oil filter.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I just re-read it and you are 100% correct, I must have gone to quick on my first read. Thanks for the correction.

Still though, I prefer being able to change fluids without fancy tools, though I admit the interval on a trans fluid change is far longer than on oil changes so this is less of an issue.

I just did a quick google, and it looks like the Bronco does indeed have an oil drain plug (https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-engine-oil-change-guide-168666.html)
Accidentally draining the transmission has become a common issue with several brands where the engine/ transmission are quite compact. Which makes it easy to roll right by the engine pan and grab the next drain pan plug. So different plug/tool does make sense.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Accidentally draining the transmission has become a common issue with several brands where the engine/ transmission are quite compact. Which makes it easy to roll right by the engine pan and grab the next drain pan plug. So different plug/tool does make sense.
I did that once when I chivalrously changed the oil in my new girlfriends Scion, way back in the day. She made it to the top of the driveway before coming back and saying the car was "making weird noises". I drained the transmission and added another 4 quarts to the engine..... oops! In my defense, it was the first time I had ever worked on a transverse mounted engine, and I was cursing the "weird" hey drain plug.

She married me, so it must not have been that bad!

Last edited:

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
FWIW......My WK2 Jeep GC was first model year (2014 but bought in 2013) for WK2's. Even though JCG's have been around for decades the issues I had were documented on thread here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/wk2-reliability.198401/

I stopped updating list in 2018 but since then have had big repairs including "multiple damaged camshaft lobes in right bank due to Rocker Arm failure" - they replaced both Intake & Exhaust Camshafts and 12 Rocker Arms & 12 Tappets in right bank - this was at 231,355 miles. Had I not had the Lifetime Warranty, I would have paid thousands for this repair alone. Even though it is high milage and stuff breaks, my long list of repairs has made me a bit sensitive.

I currently have 243,000 miles and still have open recall but everything seems dialed in. Truthfully, had I not spent $2,400 on the lifetime warranty I would be majorly p**sed and probably never buy again. I would not buy a 1 or 2nd year model without Lifetime Warranty.

Repairs thru 2018 are:

Oct 2014 P36 recall , P14 recall 26k miles
Aug 2015 SOP p67 recall, Recall R40 Radio - 44k miles
2015 - Oil cooler replacement under warranty
Dec 2015 Auto headlight repair - warranty, #6 ignition coil replaced - warranty - 57k miles
May 2016 6 spark plugs - paid cash - 70k miles
Jun 2016 #4 ignition coil repl - warranty - 71k miles, S27 Stick shift recall
Jun 2017 - Fuel Door almost falling off - replaced warranrt 104k miles
Mar 2017 Navigation failure - upgrade did not work - 96k miles warranty
Jun 2017 New Radio console installed - warranty, 96k miles
Aug 2017 Driver door hinge to be replaced - warranty
***Oct 2017 Power Steering Failure when driving, SERIOUS, replaced Power Steering Pump - warranty 112k miles
Jan 2018 T59 recall - Brake Booster Warer Shield
Jan 2018 Seat belt retractor replaced warranty
July 2018 U65 Recall - Powertrain Module, rear power outlet replaced (2nd time) 141k miles
July 2018 replaced leaking a/c condensor, replace noisy blower motor fan - warranty
2019 - Repeat problem: ignition coil replace- warranty
Also new dash under warranty - saved over $1k

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I am with you 100%, 1st year is always hard. And there are so many types of it which only adds issues.

Bronco Sport- 4 versions
Bronco ("traditional?)- 6 versions and offered in 2 or 4 door models.

And while I'm sure there is alot of overlap of parts, that seems like a lot of variability- add to that 2 engine choices and 2 transmission choices, then add on features (diff suspensions), etc. It's a lot to get perfect in year 1 of introduction. I'm sure they'll get it worked out but I might wait for year 2 or 3 before getting one if I was interested.

To be clear, the Bronco Sport and Bronco are COMPLETELY different vehicles, with zero overlap, completely different engineering teams. The Bronco Sport should have just been named something else. It's pretty confusing for people.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I thought this was an interesting article. I'm not buying a new Bronco but I thought the mechanic pointed out some good items to look for if you are buying one- not that this should prevent you from getting one, just sort of a "pay attention to" or "keep an eye on" kind of thing.

Some of this really makes me question his mechanic credentials. Is this the first time he's ever looked at a car? Not having paint behind the hinges is completely normal. Yes, the car is painted with the panels on. That's the only way to get a consistent paint. But that is AFTER the whole thing has been dipped in an E-coat bath. And why would Torx bolts be more prone to rust than any other bolt? Why would having the washer in the fender be more likely to rust? Even if the washer wasn't there, you know that water gets EVERYWHERE when you drive in the rain, right?

That being said, yes, the tie-rods are likely vulnerable. And the engineering of the top has been a disaster, that Ford is having to sort out.

watrboy

Observer
Assume you have the MIC top? Wife has had her 4dr BL softop for 9 days and the Bestop trektop I ordered just arrived today. Hope to swap it out this weekend.

Curious, why switch tops already? I am pretty happy with the factory soft top on my BL. Almost 2 months and has been tight. Washed regularly in self service, hesitant to run through automatic wash. Winter here now and lots of wind. I did put the Bimini top on underneath mine and that made a difference I was not expecting. Warmer and a little quieter. Go figure.
Waiting for summer.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Curious, why switch tops already? I am pretty happy with the factory soft top on my BL. Almost 2 months and has been tight. Washed regularly in self service, hesitant to run through automatic wash. Winter here now and lots of wind. I did put the Bimini top on underneath mine and that made a difference I was not expecting. Warmer and a little quieter. Go figure.
Waiting for summer.

I knew I would be doing this the moment I switched from hard top to soft top. Originally the plan was for the mod top as I hated the MIC top.

1. I can’t stand looking at the side windows.
2. Have zero use for rear tilt feature of the oem top.
3. Not a fan of the oem structural frame on the sides with 2 large dogs that stick their heads out the sides when the windows are removed. Especially when offroading as this would create a hazard for them bashing their heads or getting wedged in the frame legs/hinges. Also makes a cleaner look with the trektop when the windows are removed.
4. Slanted rear of the trektop IMO looks better.
5. The oem soft top is also making a rattling noise up top in the rear. We’ve not done anything with the top except flip it back a few times since we took delivery.

I have a gearshade showing up as well that I’ll install at the same time.

Plan is to run like this for 1.5-2yrs until our 23MY order is built with the mod top.

watrboy

Observer
I knew I would be doing this the moment I switched from hard top to soft top. Originally the plan was for the mod top as I hated the MIC top.

1. I can’t stand looking at the side windows.
2. Have zero use for rear tilt feature of the oem top.
3. Not a fan of the oem structural frame on the sides with 2 large dogs that stick their heads out the sides when the windows are removed. Especially when offroading as this would create a hazard for them bashing their heads or getting wedged in the frame legs/hinges. Also makes a cleaner look with the trektop when the windows are removed.
4. Slanted rear of the trektop IMO looks better.
5. The oem soft top is also making a rattling noise up top in the rear. We’ve not done anything with the top except flip it back a few times since we took delivery.

I have a gearshade showing up as well that I’ll install at the same time.

Plan is to run like this for 1.5-2yrs until our 23MY order is built with the mod top.

I can see that. I have a different expectation. It works well for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94