The 5th (ish) Gen Ram HD love/hate thread

ripperj

Explorer
I have right at 17000 miles and I have hand calculated every single tankful. I was the one who said 16-17mpg and I fill up the same way each time. ie until pump clicks off wait 20 seconds and fill again until clicks off. It has been pretty consistent depending on speeds. When traveling I usually have 400 miles on the tank before filling up. Just around town I usually don't let it drop below half. I wish I had a bigger gas tank..I would love 700 mile range when traveling.

That’s awesome
My 21 is heavier , longer, has double the payload and 60% more towing with a bigger engine, and gets 50% more mpg than the 2012 2500 5.7
What’s not to love ? :)

I appreciate all the data this thread and others related to the new Rams is providing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ricoisme26

What's around town mpg on a 6.4 hemi? my 2012 F150 get about 15 on a good day, and at best 17 on the highway, no mods just AT tires in the stock size, even stayed with P metrics for weight. I push the capacity of the truck from time to time but haven't justified the jump to a 3/4 or 1 ton yet

RCP

What's around town mpg on a 6.4 hemi? my 2012 F150 get about 15 on a good day, and at best 17 on the highway, no mods just AT tires in the stock size, even stayed with P metrics for weight. I push the capacity of the truck from time to time but haven't justified the jump to a 3/4 or 1 ton yet

My truck gets about 12mpg around town, 6.4 hemi on 35's. Highway driving 16ish depending on speed/traffic. I get about 375-425 miles per tank depending on driving conditions. As soon as a company offers an extended range tank that fits in the factory location I will get one to replace the stock tank. Towing with the 6.4 I usually only have about 225 miles of range and would love to extend that a bit.

Zuber

My current 2021 RAM CC/SB is my 4th Dodge/Ram Cummins.

The 'Lie-O-Meter' seems to only compute the last 100-200 miles you've traveled and 'forgets' the previous miles. So, if you drive the exact same way on the entire tank, it will be closer to reality. I've towed a trailer for the first 1/2 tank at 16 mpg, then down wind, down hill drive for the last half at 22 mpg. It will show close to 21, when the real average is 19.

The more you drive on the cruse control, the better mileage you'll get. I'll set the cruse when I hit 40 mph and accelerate using the buttons. This will get a mile or two better than using the throttle.

Mine is a Big Horn, where the previous one was a Tradesman. This interior is far above what was even available 20 years ago at the top trim level. The sound levels are very quiet too. I really like the coil spring/5 bar suspension.

I've had several car guys say that they can't believe how smooth this truck runs. It did have a minor vibration at 55-65. I figured that was in the drive shaft, so I re-balanced myself it using two hose clamps.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
  • The AC is terrible (there is a recall for my year, I've not done it since I'm waiting for the CP4 recall to get parts in)

I have to agree, both my 4th Gen PW and this 4.5 Gen CTD have rather lack luster AC's which isn't ideal when you live in South Texas lol.

ripperj

Explorer
I have to agree, both my 4th Gen PW and this 4.5 Gen CTD have rather lack luster AC's which isn't ideal when you live in South Texas lol.

On the other hand, I have noticed the heat will bake you right out of the cab! This is not a complaint, just an observation. I need to have the temp knob at a much lower (colder) setting in freezing weather to keep the passenger compartment from getting too warm.

I don’t have auto climate control(same as old truck) and my generic knob setting for the temperature based on how the old truck worked in cold weather is about a 6 or 7 ish(O being max cold and 10 max hot)
I find that once the truck is fully warm that setting is 350 bake mode and have to turn the knob to like 5 or less.

I haven’t had the truck in any real warm temps

Tex68w

Beach Bum
On the other hand, I have noticed the heat will bake you right out of the cab! This is not a complaint, just an observation. I need to have the temp knob at a much lower (colder) setting in freezing weather to keep the passenger compartment from getting too warm.

I don’t have auto climate control(same as old truck) and my generic knob setting for the temperature based on how the old truck worked in cold weather is about a 6 or 7 ish(O being max cold and 10 max hot)
I find that once the truck is fully warm that setting is 350 bake mode and have to turn the knob to like 5 or less.

I haven’t had the truck in any real warm temps

In temps north of 85F I have to keep it on the coldest setting to feel comfortable. I have had it in temps down to 38F so far this year and I haven't even gone past the midway point on the temp knob lol. You're correct, the heater is a monster in these trucks but it does take a bit to get it there with these diesels. Given my location and average temps the majority of the year, I'd much rather it have an ice cold AC over a bang up heater.

ttengineer

Adventurer
In temps north of 85F I have to keep it on the coldest setting to feel comfortable. I have had it in temps down to 38F so far this year and I haven't even gone past the midway point on the temp knob lol. You're correct, the heater is a monster in these trucks but it does take a bit to get it there with these diesels. Given my location and average temps the majority of the year, I'd much rather it have an ice cold AC over a bang up heater.

Isn’t that the truth.

You can always add more clothing to be warmer. There is only so much you can take off to cool down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jadmt

ignore button user
there is a tsb for the ac on 2020 and early 21's I believe but i have seen photos of the work that needs to be done and it is crazy basically rip your whole cab interior apart. Not sure how they ever get it back together.

nickw

Adventurer
I have a 21' Tradesman 2500 w/6.4 hemi....love the truck, descent ride, good power, quite, easy to use nav system, I like the front bench and center console.

Not sure I am a fan of the twist knob gear selector.

My dislikes are hood visibility (not horrible but not like older rigs), the rear cargo floor not being flat like the Fords.....but biggest gripe is the bed height of the truck! When did trucks get to be so tall and why? It makes loading a dirt bike or throwing/grabbing a MTB out of the back a huge PITA. I'm 6'4", I need a step stool to load my bike and even then the &$*#ing ramp is so steep it's a PITA, I gotta find a good parking spot just so I can load properly. I honestly would lower the damn thing a few inches and still easily clear the 33's I have on it....

Tex68w

Beach Bum
@Tex68w what is the build date on your '21? I can hang meat in mine and I know we both are around somewhat the same part of Texas.

3/11/2021, it doesn’t fall under the TSB, but the AC leaves a lot to be desired.

I have a 21' Tradesman 2500 w/6.4 hemi....love the truck, descent ride, good power, quite, easy to use nav system, I like the front bench and center console.

Not sure I am a fan of the twist knob gear selector.

My dislikes are hood visibility (not horrible but not like older rigs), the rear cargo floor not being flat like the Fords.....but biggest gripe is the bed height of the truck! When did trucks get to be so tall and why? It makes loading a dirt bike or throwing/grabbing a MTB out of the back a huge PITA. I'm 6'4", I need a step stool to load my bike and even then the &$*#ing ramp is so steep it's a PITA, I gotta find a good parking spot just so I can load properly. I honestly would lower the damn thing a few inches and still easily clear the 33's I have on it....

They are all extremely tall these days. Loading a motorcycle in the back of mine definitely tests my nerves lol.

GPurcell01

3/11/2021, it doesn’t fall under the TSB, but the AC leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder if you somehow have low freon? It's a shot in the dark really. Mine is 07/2021 so I highly doubt anything changed in that time.

Zuber

My 2014 RAM Crew Cab had poor air flow. It was like the fan was fighting cab pressure. If I cracked a back passenger window just an inch the flow was much greater. I had installed a flat bed and it had a much bigger gap to the cab duct. Maybe it just changed the air flow enough?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles