The 5th (ish) Gen Ram HD love/hate thread

jadmt

ignore button user
Can the MDS be turned off?
yes all you have to do is hit the + or - button on the steering wheel ( mds only activates in D) and it is turned off. I can not tell the difference on mine tho I guess I am oblivious to it.

DBAF5DFE-C3AF-499E-BAF8-BEEEC577A031.jpeg

Last edited:

ripperj

Explorer
yes all you have to do is hit the + or - button on the steering wheel ( mds only activates in D) and it is turned off. I can not tell the difference on mine tho I guess I am oblivious to it.

View attachment 696250

How do you get it back in auto? My 2012 I would once in a while go into manual shift mode to drop it down a gear on a big hill, but would brain fart how to get it back into auto( that was a column shift and didn’t act the same as my wife and sons cars)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ripperj

Explorer

weigh your truck and set your tires accordingly. Toyo takes all the hocus pocus out of the mix...

I’ll play around with the pressure, I just picked 50 because I knew it was good.
Thanks for the reminder on that chart. I had a hard copy in the truck I just sold( 34” Open Country ATIIs)
I’m going to get another set I think for the new truck

ripperj

Explorer
I’ll have the dealer check the doors out. I had the 12 and the 21 parked side by side and the older one didn’t have water in the doors

jadmt

ignore button user
How do you get it back in auto? My 2012 I would once in a while go into manual shift mode to drop it down a gear on a big hill, but would brain fart how to get it back into auto( that was a column shift and didn’t act the same as my wife and sons cars)

just hold the + button down for a few seconds and it will go back to D

UglyViking

You can likely tune the MDS off using alfaobd, a tazer or custom tunes. I've been able to on basically every truck I've owned. If I were planning on keeping the vehicle forever I'd prob do an MDS delete kit at some point to remove a potential failure point, but I'm unsure if the newer systems are as much issue as the early systems, I expect not in which case I'd run them till they died.

I've got a 2019 CCSB 2500 CTD. I love the thing and most everything about it, although I do have a few gripes.
  • The AC is terrible (there is a recall for my year, I've not done it since I'm waiting for the CP4 recall to get parts in)
  • The CP4 is a ticking time bomb (obviously not an issue on the HEMI)
  • There are some polish/QA items I've been less than impressed with, but I'd still take the interior cab to any of the others.
  • I wish pano roof was an option. It's one of the biggest things I wanted. I'd risk the leaks to have it.
  • Full flat rear floor would be awesome. I keep the rear seats up almost all the time, the little storage compartments below are functionally useless to me because of the layout of the whole thing, it's just a poor setup. You have to fold the "flat floor" panels to access the little boxes or storage, and it's a pain, so I don't keep anything in there that I need to access remotely frequently or quickly.
  • A slightly larger cab would be nice, the Ford SD line had so much room, way more than the Ram trucks and it's not even close.
  • Wish I would get a 37" spare under the bed (although to be fair, as soon as I could get a 37" in there I'd be wishing I could get a 39", then a 40", so on…)
Overall though, I'm pleased with the truck. Cummins will last me "forever", assuming the body doesn't rot away. The engine is a simple design, I like the simplicity of the 68rfe, and have planned the money for the trans build once it blows. Plenty of additional power options available. Easily tows my 32' trailer on 37s while getting better than expected milage. I can add an extra fuel tank, or expand the current one. Aftermarket support for these trucks is awesome. I really enjoy a lot of the AEV designs for bumpers and flares, and the other companies like chassis unlimited and expedition one make some nice looking options as well.

Plus, it just looks great. I do really love the exterior design of the 4th gen trucks, but I think the 4.5 looks awesome as well, just great proportions overall, and the turning radius isn't absolutely awful. Sometimes I wish I went with the megacab for the rear seat space (2 dogs, 1 kiddo and another 1-2 planned) but I think we will survive just fine. We did trips in a mercedes station wagon when I was young, so kids can suck it up with heated rear seats.

I think there will always be something else, something better, cooler, different, that is out there, but I'm a huge fan of having the diesel truck and plan to continue building mine as time, and funds, allow.

ripperj

Explorer
just hold the + button down for a few seconds and it will go back to D

That’s much slicker than my 4th gen. I like how it shows you what gear you are in an the options to go up or down. I didn’t have time to play , but I assume at some speed/gear combos it won’t show the arrow in the direction you can’t go??
If that’s not that case then it’s weird, most people probably know how to count from one to eight in the right order??

ripperj

Explorer
Another thing I like:
26793afc66558d9774f3699b95e827a6.jpg

ripperj

Explorer
probably the 700 mile range.

This
And the poster above claiming 16-17mpg wasn’t bsing
I calculated 16.74 on an admittedly short 200 mile trip. Cruise set to 65-70 most of the time.
You have to do this multiple times to eliminate differences in gas pump cutoffs etc, so this number is not that accurate

jadmt

ignore button user
This
And the poster above claiming 16-17mpg wasn’t bsing
I calculated 16.74 on an admittedly short 200 mile trip. Cruise set to 65-70 most of the time.
You have to do this multiple times to eliminate differences in gas pump cutoffs etc, so this number is not that accurate

I have right at 17000 miles and I have hand calculated every single tankful. I was the one who said 16-17mpg and I fill up the same way each time. ie until pump clicks off wait 20 seconds and fill again until clicks off. It has been pretty consistent depending on speeds. When traveling I usually have 400 miles on the tank before filling up. Just around town I usually don't let it drop below half. I wish I had a bigger gas tank..I would love 700 mile range when traveling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior