Mini earthroamers?

saf5000

While I window shop/gather design ideas for my next camper I’ve come across globecustoms out of Brazil. https://instagram.com/globecustoms?utm_medium=copy_link

Love this design on a half ton and it looks to be the closest thing to a true mini earthroamer (alongside uro-camper/Oman/bimobil)

This is super close to what I’ll be putting together once I’ve settled on a new home in Aus. Are there any other manufacturers that do something similar that I should take a look at ?

IMG_0700.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdaut

If you do not need/want a pass-thru, Nimbl campers are awesome. If you do want a pass-thru and a bigger truck than a Tacoma, the GXV Adventure truck might work. It is on a 550/5500 chassis, which seems like a bit of overkill, especially for the non-XT model. But, too much truck is better than too little.

Steve_382

If you do not need/want a pass-thru, Nimbl campers are awesome. If you do want a pass-thru and a bigger truck than a Tacoma, the GXV Adventure truck might work. It is on a 550/5500 chassis, which seems like a bit of overkill, especially for the non-XT model. But, too much truck is better than too little.
A slightly pared down GXV AT (the smaller one) might just work on an F350. If the camper was 5,000 pounds or less and the chassis cab was 6,000, you could just stay under the GVWR of around 11,000 pounds. It would be nice to be able to use some more standard Nitto/Toyo 35" or 37" tires. They are rated at nearly 4,000 per tire.

Edit: A little research on the Ford site shows that you can't order SRW chassis cab in a 84" CA configuration, only 60" CA. You could do the DRW configuration and the switch it to singles I guess. Not sure what would be involved in turning the DRW F350 into SRW config.

The other option is to just get the F450 single cab with SRW 84". I read that the F450 has a tighter turning radius than the F350 with the same wheelbase anyhow.

Last edited:

MattScott

Approved Vendor

Oh how I wish they’d build this on a 1 ton chassis.

86scotty

Cynic
While I window shop/gather design ideas for my next camper I’ve come across globecustoms out of Brazil. https://instagram.com/globecustoms?utm_medium=copy_link

Love this design on a half ton and it looks to be the closest thing to a true mini earthroamer (alongside uro-camper/Oman/bimobil)

This is super close to what I’ll be putting together once I’ve settled on a new home in Aus. Are there any other manufacturers that do something similar that I should take a look at ?

That link doesn't work for me but I found them online and Google translate helped me navigate their site. Looks like they do some cool stuff, including lots of van work.

DzlToy

Explorer
Edit: A little research on the Ford site shows that you can't order SRW chassis cab in a 84" CA configuration, only 60" CA. You could do the DRW configuration and the switch it to singles I guess. Not sure what would be involved in turning the DRW F350 into SRW config.

The other option is to just get the F450 single cab with SRW 84". I read that the F450 has a tighter turning radius than the F350 with the same wheelbase anyhow.

DRW to SRW "conversions" are not difficult to do if you understand how wheel ends are configured. Most manufacturers use either a spacer/adapter combination or a different hub, some of which have a different bolt pattern. F-350 trucks use Ford's metric 8-lug, while F-550 trucks use 'baby' 10 lug. An F-450 has a tighter turning radius than a 350, thanks to the Super 60 front axle (Fat Boy), a wider WMS, dished/dually front wheels and knuckles/joints that can turn tighter. Notably, F-450 trucks have wide fender flares compared to 250 and 350 models. So, if you place a non-dished wheel, a.k.a. a super single on to the front axle of an F-450, your overall width will increase measurably. See EarthRoamer F-550-based trucks for visualisation of this.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
DRW to SRW "conversions" are not difficult to do if you understand how wheel ends are configured. Most manufacturers use either a spacer/adapter combination or a different hub, some of which have a different bolt pattern. F-350 trucks use Ford's metric 8-lug, which F-550 trucks use 'baby' 10 lug. An F-450 has a tighter turning radius than a 350, thanks to the Super 60 front axle (Fat Boy), a wider WMS, dished/dually front wheels and knuckles/joints that can turn tighter. Notably, F-450 trucks have wide fender flares compared to 250 and 350 models. So, if you place a non-dished wheel, a.k.a. a super single on to the front axle of an F-450, your overall width will increase measurably. See EarthRoamer F-550-based trucks for visualisation of this.
I'd also add that DRW to SRW conversions are pretty common for things like fire apparatus, here's one example - https://1stattack.com/super-single-wheels-2/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles