Went and did it!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
After going back and forth between big and small, and failing to find anything "in between" (DRZ-400 class) I finally came across a little DR200SE at a crazy low price I couldn't refuse. So it came home with me today:

DR200 on trailer.jpg

Runs and is titled but could use some TLC for sure. I'll look into cleaning/rejetting the carb and replacing the front tire. Beyond that, I think its in decent (though not great) condition with 18k miles on it. Previous owner (female) used it as an around-town commuter bike.

This should make a nice "winter project" for me (if Winter ever gets here, that is: Currently it's about 72 degrees outside!)

Not planning on any "mods" at this time. This is the bike I plan on "learning" how to ride off-road. If I decide I like off road riding (and I think I will) I may upgrade to a bigger bike. Nice thing is I didn't pay a lot for this one so if/when it's time to sell I likely won't lose any money on it. I did ride it around, it's a fun little bike.

Although no real "mods" planned, a bash plate and a luggage rack are likely to be added at some point. Beyond that (and tires) I can't think it needs much. I know it won't scorch the trails like a modern EFI dual sport but it should be "good enough for now."

pith helmet

I have at least as much fun on my CRF230L as I ever did any bigger bike I’ve owned, especially off-road.

billiebob

Very cool.
i've always found good transportation with just enough power way more fun to drive,,, or ride than anything with more muscle.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very cool.
i've always found good transportation with just enough power way more fun to drive,,, or ride than anything with more muscle.

My last 2 wheeled purchase was pretty much the opposite of this bike: A Honda 919. Basically a naked sportbike that weighed 380lbs and had a 100HP motor:

919 01.jpg

SUPER fun bike. BUT, the ergos absolutely KILLED my knees (I'm 6'1 with long legs), and as much fun as it was to ride fast, it flat out SUCKED to ride slow (the old "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" saying is true, as I found out.)

After realizing that a nearly 60 year old guy with bad knees probably shouldn't be on a sportbike, I sold it so I could get a small dual sport.

I know the DR200 is low powered, low tech (it has a drum brake in the rear!) and won't win any races, but it should be the perfect bike for me to learn off road riding and it was crazy cheap so I couldn't pass it up.

Attachments

• 2021-03-06 16.42.15.jpg
    2021-03-06 16.42.15.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18

billiebob

My last 2 wheeled purchase was pretty much the opposite of this bike: A Honda 919. Basically a naked sportbike that weighed 380lbs and had a 100HP motor:

View attachment 692970

SUPER fun bike. BUT, the ergos absolutely KILLED my knees (I'm 6'1 with long legs), and as much fun as it was to ride fast, it flat out SUCKED to ride slow (the old "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" saying is true, as I found out.)

After realizing that a nearly 60 year old guy with bad knees probably shouldn't be on a sportbike, I sold it so I could get a small dual sport.

I know the DR200 is low powered, low tech (it has a drum brake in the rear!) and won't win any races, but it should be the perfect bike for me to learn off road riding and it was crazy cheap so I couldn't pass it up.
I fully understand.... Not a biker but I've owned Corvettes and Trans Ams... loved them both but they tempt me waayy too much. I lost my license,,, speeding ticket demerit point thing every 2 years.... If you own it, drive it, drive it hard, find its limits. Now I love underpowered vehicles, things I can drive hard and not lose my license. My daily is a Rubicon. My hobby is 1970s econo boxes like Cortinas, Datsun 1200s, Fiats. My dream car today.... a Lotus Cortina.

On another note, you know how satisfying it is on 2 lane black top in a Rubicon... or Cortina... to beat a BMW... any BMW....

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Our XT225 remains one of the favorites, but we also just got a WR250R. I can't wait to try it more.

Maddmatt

Explorer
Nice choice - and smart. I got into motorcycles later in life, started with a street bike and went straight to the Triumph Tiger. Will probably have the Tiger until I'm done riding, but wish I had spent a childhood on dirtbikes, when I get on trails and dirt roads I'm always last in line, and have often thought about getting another, smaller dirt bike to practice on, but time, space, money, etc......

Riding the Tiger on dirt has made me a better mountain biker, but somehow the decades of mountain bike experience don't seem to be translating to the 500lb machine.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Sound economical choice. Congrats on the new to you bike and here's to hoping that you get bit by the off-road riding bug.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wear some Dayglo green so people can see you.

I have a neon-green vest that I always wear over my jacket when I'm riding on the street (I call it my "cut" - SOA fans will get the reference. ;) )

I used to have a day-glo yellow helmet but when I got my new Shoei that color wasn't an option. I went with white instead, based on something I read years ago SOTI (Somewhere On The Internet) that white motorcycle helmets are actually the most visible to motorists.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So, good news/bad news. I took the new-to-me bike to a local shop to get the carb cleaned, valves adjusted and some simple maintenance items (replace the awful vacuum petcock with a simple on/off/reserve and new front tire) and took it for a short ride on Sunday. Got as far as a local gas station, filled the tank, went to start it and it would not start, no matter how much I cranked it. I tried every combo of full choke/half-choke/no choke but it just would not "catch" and run. Eventually I depleted the battery to where it would not crank over. As I was only about a mile and a half from home, I just walked home, got the truck and trailer and trailered the bike home. I'll try and run the bike up to fully warm to see if I can replicate the issue and if I can I'll take it back to the shop.

At least its winter so I'm not missing a lot of riding time (plus I have a road bike if I really want to just get out into the wind.)

Ah, the joys of owning an old bike!

EDIT: Oh, the good news is that I'm getting really good at trailering the bike! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles