Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

el jefè in CA

Great thread here! We bought our Scout about a month ago and finally broke it in on the Mojave Road. This thing is stout! I definitly was not gentle with it at all.... I finally read through all the posts in this thread, and I didn't see my biggest annoyance with the Scout.... The locks and latches suck! 3 of my locks didn't lock right out of the gate (spring in the mechanism missing), and some doors are able to open despite the latch closed and the lock engaged. Anyone in the group find a direct swap out for these locks/latches? jeffIMG_3693.JPG

Hi El Jefe, I bought my about a month ago also, I have adjusted all of the doors on it. I don't like for them to have much movement but I did find out very quickly after opening them a few times just to check the tightness that the rubber tip on locking arm starts to breakdown really quickly so I will need to either figure out a way to have a tougher rubber that does not fall apart so easy. I will reach out to Smittybilt to see if they can sell the rubber pieces and if they do then is not a big problem I'll just replace them as they break down. If you want to install a rear bumper and a swing out tire carrier we have the person who builds them.

Garrett77

Bumper looks great. Here is the link to buy one

If you want the basket on top of the carrier it's a separate purchase. Glad I could help out and give an off the shelf option for a bumper.

P.s. I just moved and got my trailer delivered and am installing a 15 gallon water tank, water heater, sink stove combo and an electrical setup. I'll post once I get started and receive everything. I got some ideas based on everyone's posts here.

Garrett77

Great thread here! We bought our Scout about a month ago and finally broke it in on the Mojave Road. This thing is stout! I definitly was not gentle with it at all.... I finally read through all the posts in this thread, and I didn't see my biggest annoyance with the Scout.... The locks and latches suck! 3 of my locks didn't lock right out of the gate (spring in the mechanism missing), and some doors are able to open despite the latch closed and the lock engaged. Anyone in the group find a direct swap out for these locks/latches? jeffView attachment 689527

I want to change mine out to compression latches. That way there is nothing rotating metal on metal. I haven't measured but shouldn't be hard to make a square plate with the size of the new latch and just drill 4 holes and bolt the plate with some caulk behind it. Just need some security type bolts. Hope that makes sense.
LolScreenshot_20211028-070323_Amazon Shopping.jpg

If you want the basket on top of the carrier it's a separate purchase. Glad I could help out and give an off the shelf option for a bumper.

P.s. I just moved and got my trailer delivered and am installing a 15 gallon water tank, water heater, sink stove combo and an electrical setup. I'll post once I get started and receive everything. I got some ideas based on everyone's posts here.

Hi Garrett77, Where do you plan to install the water tank? I want one but it's got to be under the trailer on the rear end behind/between the suspension as I need the space of where the spare tire usually goes to carry my camping gear. Please document your projects so we can see and follow along with you. Thank You Sir.

Garrett77

Hi Garrett77, Where do you plan to install the water tank? I want one but it's got to be under the trailer on the rear end behind/between the suspension as I need the space of where the spare tire usually goes to carry my camping gear. Please document your projects so we can see and follow along with you. Thank You Sir.

For sure I'll throw some pictures on here as I go. It's going to be a drawn out process doing all of this at once. I'm going to put the tank at the front where the spare tire originally went. I bought a 15 gallon from Ironman 4x4. It's only 9" tall so I plan to build a sheet metal box around it to insulate it and then build a rack on top of that. I'm gonna try to us an off the shelf rack like a 4 wheeler basket or UTV rear rack. I can fab one but time is limited and I have other projects lol. Anyways that will allow me to keep some storage. To the sides of the water tank will be the hot water heater (drivers side) and the propane tank on the passengers side.

I get the water tank in a week or so and I'll mock it up to show what I'm thinking.

For sure I'll throw some pictures on here as I go. It's going to be a drawn out process doing all of this at once. I'm going to put the tank at the front where the spare tire originally went. I bought a 15 gallon from Ironman 4x4. It's only 9" tall so I plan to build a sheet metal box around it to insulate it and then build a rack on top of that. I'm gonna try to us an off the shelf rack like a 4 wheeler basket or UTV rear rack. I can fab one but time is limited and I have other projects lol. Anyways that will allow me to keep some storage. To the sides of the water tank will be the hot water heater (drivers side) and the propane tank on the passengers side.

I get the water tank in a week or so and I'll mock it up to show what I'm thinking.

Do you know if you can use a water pump with type of tank, I really like them like the
Flojet 03526-144A Triplex Diaphragm Automatic Water System Pump, 2.9 GPM 50 PSI, 12 volt DC

just wondering. Thank You all for your answers.

Garrett77

Do you know if you can use a water pump with type of tank, I really like them like the
Flojet 03526-144A Triplex Diaphragm Automatic Water System Pump, 2.9 GPM 50 PSI, 12 volt DC

just wondering. Thank You all for your answers.

Yep sure can. Here is a rough diagram of an RV water system I found online. Hopefully it helps

Attachments

• plumbing-rv.gif
    plumbing-rv.gif
    25.8 KB · Views: 68

jojackc

Garrett do you mind taking photo's of it mounted up from under the trailer? I just can't wrap my head around where those mounting points are connecting. I am wondering if they changed something on the newer models, I have one of the earlier models.

Garrett77

Garrett do you mind taking photo's of it mounted up from under the trailer? I just can't wrap my head around where those mounting points are connecting. I am wondering if they changed something on the newer models, I have one of the earlier models.

The one I built slide into the factor hitch and then bolts through the factory d ring holes. I welded two brackets behind the d ring mounts to give it a little more support. Not sure how the final version that dirt works is selling mounts. Maybe the other guys that are buying from him can chime in on his final design that he is selling

Attachments

• 20210623_223542.jpg
    20210623_223542.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 125
  • 20210623_223539.jpg
    20210623_223539.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 121
Hi Guys, Got my bumper installed last night and it came out fantastic. I'm very satisfied with the quality and craftmanship of Robert @Dirtworx. Here are some pictures of it I took only a few because he finish the install about 8:30pm so it was dark but I will take detail pictures of the points of where the bumper is attached to the frame, the bumper is attached to the actual frame and its super strong. One very important thing I had already bought the Ark Drop Down Stabilizer to install after the bumper was put in. If you get this bumper getting this stabilizer is the best thing you can do. They are much much nicer and less clunky and are out of the way. This is Garrett77 Idea I just copied it. Thank You Garrett again. More pictures to come on the undercarriage of the trailer so you can see how its put together.

Attachments

• 20211101_202751.jpg
    20211101_202751.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 114
  • 20211101_202826.jpg
    20211101_202826.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 112
  • 20211101_202854.jpg
    20211101_202854.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 124
  • 20211101_202921.jpg
    20211101_202921.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:

ajmtrader

Hi everyone! Bought a stock 2019 Scout a few months ago and have been following and reading all the posts since then. The mods and everyone's thoughts has helped me come up with a plan for the mods I am going to install on my Scout. Thanks in advance and keep the posts and ideas coming. I will be posting my mods as they are completed. We are planning a two month trip in 2022 starting here in the Charlotte area and going out west.

Garrett77

Hi everyone! Bought a stock 2019 Scout a few months ago and have been following and reading all the posts since then. The mods and everyone's thoughts has helped me come up with a plan for the mods I am going to install on my Scout. Thanks in advance and keep the posts and ideas coming. I will be posting my mods as they are completed. We are planning a two month trip in 2022 starting here in the Charlotte area and going out west.

Congrats! I just move an hour outside Charlotte NC from CA. If you have some camping spots out here let me know, I've been trying to research some spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles