My "New" Willy's II Trailer Build

slimtwo

Adventurer
So, today I focused on the “wood bin/propane/what ever else needs to go in there”, bin. Not much to tell really on the fab side. I had to work out the angle for the ends of the lower frame, and then on the top rail, I did a miter joint. The lower joint was 15 degrees. And I kept the front rail straight, in case I want to use the end to plug in a small table for the stove, or something. I will have to get the sheet metal for the front and sides, and RW has the expanded metal I will use for the bottom. Also, in the corners at each end of the rack, I will put heavier sheeting to bear the weight of the propane bottles (2). One will be for the stove and lantern. The other for a future gas fire pit. With all of the fires, and the fire restrictions, it makes sense.

09202101.jpg 09202102.jpg

09202103.jpg

09202104.jpg

All for now.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Continued progress on the wood bin (for lack of a better description). I drew out the shape of one of the side sections of the front bin from a piece of scrap .120 plate, unfortunately, there it was only big enough to get one side out of it. The propane bottles will live there. My friend has more of that material, only it is an almost full sheet of .120 steel, in a 4’ x 8’ sheet, which I suspect, will be very heavy. I will muster up the energy to dig that out tomorrow.

floor braces, and spacers all cut and ready to install.

09212101.jpg

the expanded metal is in place. I will probably finish the floor tomorrow.

09212102.jpg

corner pieces for the PG bottles will live here. One on each side.

09212103.jpg

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
So, today I cut out the two side pieces where the PG bottles will sit. Broke out the plasma cutter, and cut a piece off the end of the sheet of .120 sheet my friend has (wow that sheet was heavy). I had to use a pair of vice grips to be able to hold on to it, and move it around.

09222102.jpg 09222101.jpg 09222103.jpg

Once they were both fitted, I welded them in place.

09222104.jpg

09222105.jpg

I’m going to go down tomorrow maybe to purchase the front, sides, and back, to finish off the bin. I am going to have the metal supply company cut the pieces to size, so all I will have to do is make small adjustments. I guess I will work on preparing my garage for the next phase, the box.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Here is an update and a few pics. I have been working on some of the small projects, that are, for lack of a better term, “boring”. But they need to get done, so I am slowly chipping away at them. The past few days, I have been working on mounting the propane bottle, and I made a longer arm for the tent lift.

10062102.jpg 10062103.jpg 10062101.jpg

10062104.jpg 10082101.jpg

I also installed the safety chain on the tongue, so it is ready for towing.

10072101.jpg

I am also working on the, “more detailed” drawings for the box, with measurements. I am using a ¾” = 1 foot scale on the drawings, to see it better. I have been dreading this for a while, but I have to have accurate measurements, so I know exactly where things are going to land. More updates later.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Back at the shop today. I was able to knock 2 more items off my to-do list. I finished fabricating the mount for the propane bottle, and installed the pre-drilled steel tubing, for the stabilizing jacks, and welded on the feet. I still have a ways to go, but I am at least 2 steps closer.

10132105.jpg 10132104.jpg

10132103.jpg 10132102.jpg 10132101.jpg

I am continuing to work on the drawings. I’m pretty much ready to start on the box, but I have to wait a little longer before I can purchase the material. I just spent a bunch of money on a new hard top for my TJ. The soft top won’t repel water any more, and the TJ is living outside right now.

Happy trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
So, today I worked on the area where the propane bottle will live. The problem I had, is that the height of the bottle was too high for the spot I wanted to put it. So, my solution (thanks to my friends input), was to lower the PB. I accomplished this by fabricating a deeper pocket in the frame with a bottom in it. This will require me to cut a hole in the bottom of the box (when I get to that part), which will be sealed with foam insulation and automotive caulking. Then the bottle mount I made, will be bolted in that pocket. I used 2" x 1/8" angle iron, and 1/8" x 10 1/2" plated for the bottom. I used the back of the bumper for the fourth side. this gives me an additional 4" of clearance for the bottle.

10152102.jpg 10152103.jpg 10152105.jpg 10152104.jpg

So, I got all of that done, only to realize that I made a mistake in the orientation of the bottle when I drilled the holes and mounted it. I’m sure that those of you are watching this build, probably caught this right away, however, I didn’t until after it was done.

So just for fun, how many can point out in this picture, where I messed up? Keep in mind, that the P bottle is in a corner of the box, in a small cubby storage, with an access door in the side of the box.

10152106.jpg

I’m still working on the box drawings, and I am also starting to think about how I am going to mount the solar panel on the trailer.

Happy trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Not much progress to report this trip. I fixed the oversite on the propane mount latching issue.

10212101.jpg

I’m still working on how I want to set up the solar mounting platform. Today, I mostly helped a friend with his project. Don’t worry though, I’m still plucking away at it.

Happy Trails!
Can you tell me where you got the strap device for your bottle holder? Thanks!
Howdy "Boatmonkey", I ordered the latches from Amazon, (4 Pack Adjustable Toggle Clamp, 660 lbs Holding Capacity Toggle Latch Hasp Clamp GH-4003 Lockable Quick Release Pull Latch Black Metal Draw Latch for Door, Box Case Trunk, Smoker Door, Jig ). There are various sizes of this latch, I got the ones that you can lock. Just make the key words in the search, "Draw Latch".

slimtwo

Adventurer
Just an update today. I have been working on my old trailer, getting it cleaned up, and ready to list for sale. I unloaded all of my camp gear & equipment, and next, I will pull my sleeping bag, and extra pad out of the tent. I am not planning on selling the tent with the trailer, unless someone really wants the whole package, and is willing to pay for it. I noticed that the tents have gone up a bunch, since I bought mine. So, if someone wants to pay for it, I will consider selling the tent and trailer together. My tent is a CVT, the Rainier with the extended fly, and annex. They have made a few upgrades since I bought mine too, along with an additional $1,000.00 more than I paid 7 or 8 years ago.
Anyway, I am emptying the tent, to make it easier to get to the mounting bolts, to remove it, and transfer it to the new trailer, so I can finish the welding on the tent platform.

10252101.jpg 10252102.jpg

Right now, it is raining here, so it looks like tomorrow, to do that.

Happy Trails everyone!

slimtwo

Adventurer
A little more progress on the trailer. So, I removed all the mounting bolts for the tent, and then strapped it down with ratchet straps for traveling. Last night, I met my son at the shop, where we transferred the tent from the old trailer, to the new one.

10272104.jpg

Today, I fit the cross braces under the tent, marked for the mounting holes, and drilled them.

10272101.jpg

Then I positioned the tent where I wanted it, and tack welded the braces in place. I didn’t want to fully weld them in place, with the tent up there, so I am going to have to move the tent, or get really creative and block it up, or something, so it is out of the way. I’ll figure it out.

10272103.jpg

10272102.jpg

So, next week, I’m hoping to get the material for the front of the wood basket. I am going to use aluminum diamond plate, probably in 1/8”. At this point, I want to save on weight where I can. The only problem is, the steel supply I use, will only sell it in full sheets. So, I have to buy a 4 x 8-foot sheet, @ $400.00 a sheet. Ouch!!! K & H, will cut it for me to the height I need, then I have a guy lined up, who will cut it to length, and bend the angles on the sides. I will use some of the material for the bottom and front of the water tank frame, and for the battery holder. So, whatever is left, will be for future projects.

I’m still working on the mounting system for the solar panel, although, I think I have that pretty much figured out. Also, I have to get all of the wire and connectors for the battery system. When I start working on the floor for the box, I want to be able to cut the threw holes for that, and have a basic layout for the electrical. More later.

Happy Trails!

Snydmax

You probably already know this, but you’ll want to be sure that you separate the steel from the aluminum where they join (rubber gasket, tape, etc.) and use stainless steel fasteners to prevent “galvanic corrosion” between the two dissimilar metals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slimtwo

Adventurer
You probably already know this, but you’ll want to be sure that you separate the steel from the aluminum where they join (rubber gasket, tape, etc.) and use stainless steel fasteners to prevent “galvanic corrosion” between the two dissimilar metals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your comment! I am aware of the problem mounting dissimilar metals together. I have an aluminum radiator in my jeep, which required a ground wire to prevent electrolysis. However, that was the furthest thing from my mind, where the front cover is concerned. Thanks again!

Slimtwo

slimtwo

Adventurer
Today I took the tent off the trailer (with some “much” help from a friend), so I could finish the welding for the tent mount supports.

10282101.jpg

10292102.jpg

Then, the only thing that really needs to be done on the trailer chassis, is the front of the box. Then it’s on to the trailer box itself. Another week and I will be ready for that to begin.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Progress update. I picked up the material for the front of the trailer today. I will make an appointment next week at the fabricators to bend the plate. I welded a little angle gauge, to help the fabricator get the right bend on the ends of the box front. And because I had to buy a full sheet (4 x 8), I will have him cut the other pieces I need for the bottom and front of the water tank holder, and the bottom of the battery holder.

I’ll have pictures and more next week.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Happy Trails!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles