Does a decent 12V heater exist?

Awkragt

Adventurer
Looking for a 12volt heater with a thermostat for use in a teardrop. Doesn't need much output, just seems like with a big Lipo/Solar system it could handle a small 12volt heater.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I interpreted the question to mean a 12v powered heater (i.e. a DC-electric heater).

I don't think anyone has created a forced-air DC heater that will do the job. There are a few rooftop HVAC units that include a heating mechanism - with a big enough battery bank and a monster inverter you might be able to power that, but without running the numbers, my instinct (as an Electrical Engineer), is that the power needs would exceed the feasible limits of most battery banks. Certainly such a battery setup would cost more than what a conventional fueled forced-air heater would cost.

You might be able to get by with a 12v electric blanket. Such things exist, and while still very inefficient, at least you're only heating yourself and not trying to heat a whole air volume.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I had a 12V heater in my Pinzgauer that ran off gasoline from the fuel tank, there is also one that runs off diesel. Maybe one pint of fuel for 8 hours but I only ran it with the engine going (continuous 12V supply) to heat the cab on the coldest days. The pinz has a canvas top, no heat retention.
I now use a 12V electric blanket that I power with a Jackery (explorer 240) power pack, they do make larger power packs but this one os enough for the blanket. Powering the blanket all night only draws down the Jackery about 30%. The blanket shuts off after 2 hours so to keep it going you have to turn it on again after that time. I use it to warm the bed and then cover with blankets for sleeping. I sleep in a tent and use a Little Joe propane heater to warm up the tent in the AM. Tents really do not hold heat like your tear drop might with proper insulation.
As Herbie says a 12V heater really would not be an efficient way to heat a space, even a small space, with the electric draw that would be required.
So I would have to say that I also have not heard of a reliable/efficient 12V heater.

Alloy

Looking for a 12volt heater with a thermostat for use in a teardrop. Doesn't need much output, just seems like with a big Lipo/Solar system it could handle a small 12volt heater.

You'd need a 2nd teardrop to carry enough Lipo/solar to run a 12V heater.

A 12V heating blanket is another way to go.

Propex are good but noisy.

This is quiet heater that vents outside.

Don't run anything that (Mr.Heater, Ashley, Flame King) vents combustion gas inside. If you read the small print and vent it as directed there is some gain from infrared but most of the energy goes out the window.

86scotty

Cynic
There are alot of 12V DC heaters available. ”Road Pro” is one brand I hear alot of what makes all manner of 12V appliances.

Road Pro is a cheap truckstop brand that is nowhere near efficient but you are correct, they make about everything in 12v. All of the 12v appliances sold by them and at any truckstop are basically designed to run in a truck while idling. I've bought a few things over the years and it's all essentially overpriced junk. I have a 'hot box', a little metal lined lunchbox for heating up meals slowly, that is pretty cool but the crock pots, hot plates, heaters, etc. that I've seen are pretty lousy.

Sure, if you have enough batteries you can run any 12v appliance or inverter to run an AC one, but it's far from efficient.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Not calling you a reptile but… How about a terrarium ceramic heat lamp? They come in various wattages. Add a simple 500 watt inverter and bingo.

Tear drops are tiny. Heck just a basic candle lantern in my sailboat warms up the space pretty well. Thats about 5x bigger volume of space over a Tear drop. The ceramic terrarium heating bulb would likely work pretty well plus you can easily size it from tiny say 30w to 250watts etc.
Battery capacity being your issue. The heated blanket has become pretty popular and not a huge power hog. So maybe electric blanket and terrarium heater and your solid?

john61ct

Adventurer
Blanket is OK to take the chill off for an hour, put it under you, but do not run all night, example of 12V to actually produce the heat.

Better not to, as in:

1. Some of the smallest propane units are fine, just need a CO alarm - test regularly! - and **very** controllable venting.

2. a Propex HS2211 is top notch and can be set up to burn outside the living space, even in a portable box so useful to move into your RV, for tent camping, Texas style emergencies at home etc

3. diesel / gas parking heaters too.

86scotty

Cynic
The problem I see with any fuel fired heater and a small teardrop is that they are way too much for the small space. Also, there's the physical space the heater takes up that is likely going to be a problem. Even with a diesel heater you've got to have some space around it and a tank somewhere. Some of these small teardrops don't even have space for that, but of course we haven't seen the teardrop. I'm not sure where you'd mount an Olympian in a teardrop that would be safe from bedding.

Alloy

This:
and

The are OK for a tent but a poor design for a camper.

The back pressure from blowing air into a sealed camper makes it horribly inefficient.

It needs to draw (not the combustion) air from inside the camper.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The back pressure from blowing air into a sealed camper makes it horribly inefficient.

It needs to draw (not the combustion) air from inside the camper.

The diesel heaters can recirculate air - in that one can normally plumb the cold air intake (not the combustion intake) into the volume - that's how it's typically done for the truck cabs they were originally designed for.

I think a lot of applications, especially the portable versions, just opt for "simplicity" by only having the hot air ducting to worry about. In the same way that the Propex heaters can have a cold-in duct and a hot-out duct, so can the diesel heaters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier