Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

dmulk

I don't mean to put you out, Dan. There really isn't any rush. Maybe just stop by sometime when you are in the area?
Thanks!
Hey Presto,
Sorry this is a late reply. I finally made it over there today. Zack gave me a handful of the stuff to send you but said it's pretty standard stick on foam you should be able to find in any hardware shop.

Here's the dimensions of the stuff and some photos:
PXL_20211013_185941814.jpgPXL_20211013_185953043.jpgPXL_20211013_190523700.MP.jpg

Let me know if you want me to send you the handful that he gave me. If not....I'd like to make a suggestion as a replacement. Check out Frost King at Home Depot or Lowe's. I've used it on my JK doors and it's worked well. Especially the double channel stuff.
-dan

sourdoughben

So what does a kited wrangler like these weigh? Weight is always a factor to be considered in any RV. I searched this thread but did not find one post of a total weight these JK's are carrying. There is a very nicely equipped JK in the classifieds and seller dosen't know either but says probably about 6K.
spock highly illogical.jpeg

Last edited:

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
So what does a kited wrangler like these weigh? Weight is always a factor to be considered in any RV. I searched this thread but did not find one post of a total weight these JK's are carrying. There is a very nicely equipped JK in the classifieds and seller dosen't know either but says probably about 6K.
View attachment 687625
My Jeep which is highly modified weighs 6200 lbs with full fuel minus the AEV tank on the rear tire carrier, 4 gallons of water and a long weekends worth of food. I am included in that weight at 220 lbs. The 2018 Jeep JKUR has a GVWR of 5700 lbs. I would be happy if you could tell me what I should remove to decrease the overall weight. Every time I remove an item before a trip I find it gets added back for the next trip. This Jeep has Dynatrac Big Brakes for added stopping power.

5E437257-D461-4655-8BE6-27FDBD11DF7A.jpeg

sourdoughben

My Jeep which is highly modified weighs 6200 lbs with full fuel minus the AEV tank on the rear tire carrier, 4 gallons of water and a long weekends worth of food. I am included in that weight at 220 lbs. The 2018 Jeep JKUR has a GVWR of 5700 lbs. I would be happy if you could tell me what I should remove to decrease the overall weight. Every time I remove an item before a trip I find it gets added back for the next trip. This Jeep has Dynatrac Big Brakes for added stopping power.

View attachment 687639
Thanks for replying. I don't know enough about your equipement to be able to say much about how you could reduce weight. I know I camp out of my built JLR and it weighs just under it 5,350 max.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/biscuit.1163/
I have done a lot to just squeak by under the limit, mostly aluminum vs metal bolt ons and I dont have much kit other than a tent, cot, chair, cooler and back packing gear. I like the Ursa tops but having a 2dr. means a big commitment in getting one and I am weighing the pros and cons before making a change. It seems I could be close to a JLU's GVWR .

autarkus

Don't take my numbers as official since I didn't put anything on a scale myself, but when I was digging around for numbers, I have it down as 260 lbs. for the Ursa JKU top. I was replacing a hardtop, which I have listed as 130 for the rear section and ~40 for both freedom panels. That only nets an extra 90 lbs. for the top, which I'd say is well worth it for my purposes.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Thanks for replying. I don't know enough about your equipement to be able to say much about how you could reduce weight. I know I camp out of my built JLR and it weighs just under it 5,350 max.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/biscuit.1163/
I have done a lot to just squeak by under the limit, mostly aluminum vs metal bolt ons and I dont have much kit other than a tent, cot, chair, cooler and back packing gear. I like the Ursa tops but having a 2dr. means a big commitment in getting one and I am weighing the pros and cons before making a change. It seems I could be close to a JLU's GVWR .

I attempted to send you a private message but after typing it out the forum said it could not be delivered. If you are on Instagram feel free to send me a direct message. I’d like to hear some of your thoughts after looking at your Jeep. Instagram is in my signature.

Thanks

Justin

Presto88

Adventurer
Hey Presto,
Sorry this is a late reply. I finally made it over there today. Zack gave me a handful of the stuff to send you but said it's pretty standard stick on foam you should be able to find in any hardware shop.

Here's the dimensions of the stuff and some photos:
View attachment 687334View attachment 687335View attachment 687336

Let me know if you want me to send you the handful that he gave me. If not....I'd like to make a suggestion as a replacement. Check out Frost King at Home Depot or Lowe's. I've used it on my JK doors and it's worked well. Especially the double channel stuff.
-dan

Now I have to apologize for the late reply! Time has just gotten away from me during the past couple of weeks!

Thank you for the offer, but no need to mail that to me, Dan. I'm at HD and Lowes on a fairly regular basis. I'll check out the Frost King stuff there. I'm sure I can find something that will work. I do appreciate you stopping by there to ask them about it, though. I hope I didn't put you out too much.

campertramper

I really like your white jeep with white (unpainted) ursa minor. It has a really nice look and it is the exact color combo I would go for if I end up with this build. Thank you for sharing.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
View attachment 687625

I've really tried to keep my weight down with light weight components and camping gear, but things add up quick! My JKU weighs @5400 lbs in it's current form with some camping gear loaded at all times. I added an M8000 winch with rope because it's light, as well as the ARB single compressor and a single battery because I don't have a fridge. I've had the Jeep loaded as heavy as 6400 pounds on a road trip with four people and gear, but it's usually below 6200 and 6000 is the lowest I've gotten it with three of us. I found that I needed a strong set of springs (ARB 2620) and a hellwig sway bar for the rear helped out on the road. I would LOVE to get it lower, but the GVW is really low for a vehicle that weighs over 5000 pounds in stock form.

Attachments

• IMG_2489.JPG
    IMG_2489.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 53

dmulk

Now I have to apologize for the late reply! Time has just gotten away from me during the past couple of weeks!

Thank you for the offer, but no need to mail that to me, Dan. I'm at HD and Lowes on a fairly regular basis. I'll check out the Frost King stuff there. I'm sure I can find something that will work. I do appreciate you stopping by there to ask them about it, though. I hope I didn't put you out too much.
Not at all! Happy to help and it gave me an excuse to go see some of the cool stuff they are working on.

Also, I think the frost king stuff is likely going to be a better option. Likely more durable if you can find some that is the correct size.
Good luck and report back!
Best
Dan

Red_shift

Will soon be joining the family of Jeep owner's with a new JLU Willys. I've also ordered an Ursa Minor for it. My wife and I will be traveling and camping in it often. I don't expect to be doing any "serious" off-roading, more like soft-roading to campsites. The Jeep will also be used for daily driving when not camping. What are your opinions about suspension upgrades that would be needed, if any?

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I put a little Buyers guide together in a series of short videos for any prospective Ursa Minor shoppers on youtube. The first video doesn't have great audio but it improves significantly after that (changed equipment). I'm not looking for subs, sponsors, selling a product or trying to develop an overland channel. It's merely educational with my opinion of what I liked or didn't, some owner tips and some accessories that complement the top. Anyway, I did it to help out someone like me who can't decide what to get! I've had the top for two years now and slept in it @30 nights. I'm not associated with Ursa Minor at all, I just bought their product at full price so it's an unbiased review.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online