Total Composites wall alternatives?

I'm currently planning out a camper build and will obviously need some wall panels. I was wondering if there was a company or supplier that sold similar material outside of the "kit" option? Looking for solid foam with FRP/Fiberglass outer skins, was considering aluminum skins but total composites mentioned ono their website the aluminum has a larger chance of separating from the foam core in the long term.

Alloy

I've work with alum for years. It's a great material but the skin on a SIP isn't where I'd use it.

My guess is it gets too hot for the adhesive.

kellscubz

I had my panels made by these guys: https://www.fiber-tech.net
they can make pretty much any panel you would want.
i went with a 2" "cladfoam" panel from them.
You will save a TON of money upfront but obviously putting it together will be much more difficult than with a kit from totalcomposites

You will save a TON of money upfront but obviously putting it together will be much more difficult than with a kit from totalcomposites
I'm actually planning on using panels to modify an existing camper, so the "kits" don't really work for my application. what did you do about the joints and seams? Total composites has custom corner pieces and such.

Alloy

I'm actually planning on using panels to modify an existing camper, so the "kits" don't really work for my application. what did you do about the joints and seams? Total composites has custom corner pieces and such.
There no need for the pultruded corner pcs. An aluminum angle (formed 45° or 90°as needed) inside and out works.

Louisd75

Adventurer

What foam and skins did you get? Pricing?

I'm curious too. Were you able to specify reinforcement points or have them install conduit? Fiber tech is on my list to contact since they're relatively close.

D

Deleted member 12023

I’m in the process of building this. Sourced from Martel Marine panels in GA. You can spec cores, skins and reinforcement points. I used 1/8” aluminum corners bonded with sikaflex.

It may be tough to order through them now. I made the mistake of giving this source to Bison Campers and I’ve heard they’ll only sell to him now.

Attachments

• BEA5B6C2-8D0A-42A9-897A-26E561E356C7.jpeg
    BEA5B6C2-8D0A-42A9-897A-26E561E356C7.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 103

Darwin

Explorer
I’m in the process of building this. Sourced from Martel Marine panels in GA. You can spec cores, skins and reinforcement points. I used 1/8” aluminum corners bonded with sikaflex.

It may be tough to order through them now. I made the mistake of giving this source to Bison Campers and I’ve heard they’ll only sell to him now.
I thought you guys were acquaintances? Did you tell them the panel manufacturer when you stopped by their shop?

D

Deleted member 12023

I thought you guys were acquaintances? Did you tell them the panel manufacturer when you stopped by their shop?

They weren’t in business when we met up. He asked me who I sourced my panels through when he decided to get into building composite campers.

kellscubz

I'm curious too. Were you able to specify reinforcement points or have them install conduit? Fiber tech is on my list to contact since they're relatively close.
I did neither and I'm not 100% certain they offer it but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Definitely worth contacting them.

rruff

Explorer
I got 2" polyiso foam with 3.5mm honeycomb skins with 17oz woven roving with gel coat on one side only. I ordered 5 panels 7 wide by 14 long. each panel was just under $900

Thanks! That's actually quite reasonable for good panels... <$10/sq ft. I paid ~$16/ sq ft for materials! 1.5" PVC foam with skins that are 32oz handlaid fiberglass and epoxy on each side, plus marine paint.

One thing I noticed that might be weak is the 2lb/cu ft foam core. Better than hardware store XPS though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles