(partially) new Tundra coming?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
perhaps ironically, they did offer AWD options in 3rd gen 4runner's and some 1st gen Sequoias...
Well then that makes it even more frustrating.....

I was shocked to see the 400a and 401a F150 Tremors don't come with 4 Auto. I thought they were advertised as having the Raptors transfer case.

Does the Raptor not have 4 Auto? Sounds like Ford lied to me....

Screenshot 2021-09-30 135219.png
Screenshot 2021-09-30 135408.png
Screenshot 2021-09-30 141610.png

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
I don’t think it’s an “affordability” issue.

The sales of Tacomas are still low compared to fullsize domestics, and it's certainly more costly to offer options if the demand is low. I guess it's an anomaly of Big 3 full size trucks that there are so many customization options vs SUVs and cars.

Well then that makes it even more frustrating.....

I was shocked to see the 400a and 401a F150 Tremors don't come with 4 Auto. I thought they were advertised as having the Raptors transfer case.

Does the Raptor not have 4 Auto? Sounds like Ford lied to me....

View attachment 684811
View attachment 684812
View attachment 684813

Looking at the second picture, the “added features” of the 402A seem to include the 4Auto, “HiLock Transfer Case”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Looking at the second picture, the “added features” of the 402A seem to include the 4Auto, “HiLock Transfer Case”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, but the other two documents clearly state an AWD mode as standard equipment. Bunch of confusion over this on Ford forums as well. May that all Tremors would come with 4 Auto as part of the package.

Regardless, So far it does not appear on any trim level of the Tundra.

Just me griping about it. .. Living in Alberta it would be a useful feature on my 35 mile (each way) daily commute on freeways and highways during our 8 months of winter...

bkg

Explorer
Yes, but the other two documents clearly state an AWD mode as standard equipment. Bunch of confusion over this on Ford forums as well. May that all Tremors would come with 4 Auto as part of the package.

Regardless, So far it does not appear on any trim level of the Tundra.

Just me griping about it. .. Living in Alberta it would be a useful feature on my 35 mile (each way) daily commute on freeways and highways during our 8 months of winter...

I can tell you for a fact that the F350 tremor doesn't have AWD

But unlike my 04 Tacoma's... the rear locker works from the factory in 2wd.:D :D :D

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I can tell you for a fact that the F350 tremor doesn't have AWD

But unlike my 04 Tacoma's... the rear locker works from the factory in 2wd.:D :D :D
I was just speaking specifically about the F150. Anyhow, too bad the Tundra will continue not to offer this option. It will play into my decision making when purchasing my next truck.

Reactions: bkg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I’m not clear what AWD is in a 2speed transfer case 4x4? Oh and I had a 07 Sequoia with the AWD badge. Top speed was 65mph when you had 4high engaged which was apparently “AWD” per the marketing department.
My 2speed transfer case Expedition doesn’t have AWD but the lower cost more basic Expedition which does not have the 2speed transfer case is marketed as AWD.

In my case my Expedition like my Sequoia gets put into 4Hi 4x4.

The term AWD is primarily a marketing term used with vehicles that have ability to send power to all 4 wheels but do not have a traditional transfer case. Ie Subarus, Hondas, Mini vans, Highlanders etc.

So I’m not sure why anyone would be upset about a heavy 4x4 truck not getting a marketing department sales term of AWD?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
So I’m not sure why anyone would be upset about a heavy 4x4 truck not getting a marketing department sales term of AWD?
Don't care about it being called AWD vs 4X4. I was under the impression based on the literature provided by Ford that the Tremor came standard with the 4 auto feature. See below:

2021-ford-f150-drive-mode-selector.png

However Auto 4X4 is only on the leather / loaded Tremor.

Anyway, back to the new Tundra, haha

rruff

Explorer

4x4 is great if it's solid snow, ice, mud, etc... but AWD is much better if it's intermittent traction or lots of tight turning. Can't use 4x4 on a windy mountain road with occasional ice for instance.

bkg

Explorer
I’m not clear what AWD is in a 2speed transfer case 4x4? Oh and I had a 07 Sequoia with the AWD badge. Top speed was 65mph when you had 4high engaged which was apparently “AWD” per the marketing department.
My 2speed transfer case Expedition doesn’t have AWD but the lower cost more basic Expedition which does not have the 2speed transfer case is marketed as AWD.

In my case my Expedition like my Sequoia gets put into 4Hi 4x4.

The term AWD is primarily a marketing term used with vehicles that have ability to send power to all 4 wheels but do not have a traditional transfer case. Ie Subarus, Hondas, Mini vans, Highlanders etc.

No... that's not what AWD means.

GM and others offer 2hi,4hi, AWD, 4lo from the factory. Just like Toyota did in some 3rd gen 4runners and some 1st gen Sequoias. They also offered AWD, 4HI, 4LO in v8-equip'd 4th gen 4runners.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
4x4 is great if it's solid snow, ice, mud, etc... but AWD is much better if it's intermittent traction or lots of tight turning. Can't use 4x4 on a windy mountain road with occasional ice for instance.
Yes, this is the exact use that would make it a meaningful option for me. I have been just fine in my F150 without Auto 4x4. It would just be a nice feature to have for my location and commute.

No... that's not what AWD means.

GM and others offer 2hi,4hi, AWD, 4lo from the factory. Just like Toyota did in some 3rd gen 4runners and some 1st gen Sequoias. They also offered AWD, 4HI, 4LO in v8-equip'd 4th gen 4runners.
Correct. I think GM and Ram offer it on all trims except basic work trucks.

Ram started offering it on the Rebel for the 2020 model year as a separate $200 option (US) / $595 (CDN.) An option box I'd tick if I go for a Ram....

It's standard in F150 in Lariats and above.

Why wouldn't Toyota even offer it as a stand alone option for those that want it?

Reactions: bkg

bkg

Explorer
Yes, this is the exact use that would make it a meaningful option for me. I have been just fine in my F150 without Auto 4x4. It would just be a nice feature to have for my location and commute.

Correct. I think GM and Ram offer it on all trims except basic work trucks.

Ram started offering it on the Rebel for the 2020 model year as a separate $200 option (US) / $595 (CDN.) An option box I'd tick if I go for a Ram....

It's standard in F150 in Lariats and above.

Why wouldn't Toyota even offer it as a stand alone option for those that want it?

shoot... it's even available on some JL models....

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
shoot... it's even available on some JL models....
Right! I forgot about that. I think it's actually offered on the JT's as well.

It's a very convenient feature for people in the snow belt.

It's more valuable to me than having a heated steering wheel and seats.

bkg

Explorer
Right! I forgot about that. I think it's actually offered on the JT's as well.

It's a very convenient feature for people in the snow belt.

It's more valuable to me than having a heated steering wheel and seats.

Shame on you for suggesting such things... even in the context of your own wants/needs... just... shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles