CB comparison

Chorky

Observer
Cobra 75
Midland 75-822
Uniden CMX760

The first two seem to be tride and true (old) with all the typical features but somewhat analogue
Uniden seems to be the 'newest' option, however it does not have the WX option.

Opinions? Any particular one better than the rest based on experiences?

Thanks.

The Cobra 75 combined radio/speaker/mic can get heavy and uncomfortably warm during an extended transmission. Also, if the speaker volume must be increased to be heard from the dash board of a noisy vehicle, it may prove to be too loud when held near your head as the microphone is used.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have the Uniden CMX760 . I like the compactness and with a tuned antenna works great. Trucker have a lot of room in their cabs so they can run a larger chassis radios . The larger radios are more adept to performance modifications.

Be sure to get an external speaker so you can hear the radio clearly.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Cobra 75
Midland 75-822
Uniden CMX760

The first two seem to be tride and true (old) with all the typical features but somewhat analogue
Uniden seems to be the 'newest' option, however it does not have the WX option.

Opinions? Any particular one better than the rest based on experiences?

Thanks.
The CMX760 says it has NOAA weather alert.

https://uniden.com/products/cmx760-off-road-compact-cb-radio-with-mic-display

Product Overview​

• 40-Channel Operation
  • Channel Monitor
  • Channel Scan
  • Ultra-Compact for easy mounting just 4 x 4 x 1 inches
  • NOAA Weather with Alert
  • Weather Channel Scan
  • Easy-access Speaker/Mic controls
  • Large Display on Speaker/Mic
  • Backlight Color
  • Contrast Color
  • S/RF Meter
  • Roger Beep
  • Battery Check
  • Frequency Indicator
  • Key Lock
  • High Cut
FWIW, my $0.02 on CBs is shop mainly on features that you want and form factor that works. Performance across the major brands (Uniden, Cobra, Midland, etc) is going to be a function of your antenna more than anything.

The offerings seem to me to come down to two options.

On one hand you're getting a long existing design. That just means the strengths and weakness are well known and any major things have long since been corrected. The Cobra 75 WX ST and 75-822 have been around a long time, a decade and maybe more. Lots of people use them and AFAIK no show stoppers.

The other case is you're buying a newer design that is coming from one of the factories in China. For example that Uniden CMX760 sure looks a lot like a Midland MXT275, which is a GMRS radio. It would take some digging but I would not be surprised if they both are made by the same OEM made under contract.

1-cmx760-bearcat-off-road-compact-cb-radio-with-mic-display-uniden_704x416.png

MXT275-USB-C.png

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I used a Midland 75-822 for several years. Last time I used it was in 2014 I think. Seemed to work fine for what it was. Haven't been on a trail run where I needed a CB since 2014.

I bought mine new in 2007 (I think) when I had my Tacoma. So they've been around for quite a while.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Legit question - given the low power, is there any real difference from one CB to another? I had a Cobra 75 and some Midland unit years ago... and unless I saw the person, it was basically noise. I'm a ham and GMRS for years - a buddy wants me to get one, so thought I'd look into it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

dbhost

One major caveat. It has been probably 20 years since I paid any attention whatsoever to those units that have the controls in the microphone. HOWEVER I personally wouldn't own one. Typically speaking there are too many things going on in too small of a space. I prefer a main unit with the controls on the radio and the microphone separate. Seriously when you are driving typically you stay on one channel and are merely keying the TX on and off... Maybe adjusting volume...

As far as low power and the differences in transmission / reception between radios, there really is more of a difference in antenna systems than radios, but noise blocking / filtering is one area where you will find differences in radios. Honestly all the big radio brands these days are pretty good. Cobra, Uniden, Midland, President etc...

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have a Uniden and with a properly tuned antenna works great. The Cobra's handset is not comfortable to use .

Chorky

Observer
One major caveat. It has been probably 20 years since I paid any attention whatsoever to those units that have the controls in the microphone. HOWEVER I personally wouldn't own one. Typically speaking there are too many things going on in too small of a space. I prefer a main unit with the controls on the radio and the microphone separate.

I am looking at the compact 'hidden' units due to space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles