Talk me out of a Power Wagon

85_Ranger4x4

Better payload / towing yes. Lot cheaper? I don't know. I equipped both truck to have similar equipment and they come out about the same:

(had I added premium lighting to the BigHorn to match the lighting in the PW, it would have forced me into another option group making the BigHorn more expensive than the PW.)
View attachment 683456
View attachment 683457

View attachment 683458
View attachment 683459
Personally, I'd go Power Wagon.

PW is like a $6k option stuck on my Tradesman build.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Personally I’d just go with a Ford Super Duty Tremor with the 7.3 in the lariat trim with the ultimate package. I’d also add a factory winch. Will be 85% as nice inside as a PW but with far better towing/payload numbers (which are more important to me), and probably cost around the same as a loaded PW. Ford doesn’t have a disconnecting front sway bar or front locker but I don’t value those that highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Might be close to a loaded PW?
PW is like a $6k option stuck on my Tradesman build.
I tried that too before. Worked out to be the same as a base model PW. So why not just have a base PW instead of a tradesman w/ PW pkg?

For the same price you get more equipment in the PW. (Premium lighting for example)

85_Ranger4x4

Yep. Might be close to a loaded PW?

I tried that too before. Worked out to be the same as a base model PW. So why not just have a base PW instead of a tradesman w/ PW pkg?

For the same price you get more equipment in the PW. (Premium lighting for example)

It's been a awhile but for me in the US the tradesman PW was cheaper and didn't come with a bunch of crap I dont want (like premium lighting for an example)

jadmt

ignore button user
I almost bought a Tradesman with pw option but in the end the pw made more sense for me. If you try and look up the blue book on a used tradesman you will find they don't list the PW option so you will get screwed down the road if you trade vehicles often. The lights on the PW are light years ahead of the tradesman. Seats are better and powered and heated and I know it is cheesy but the dash and steering wheel are much nicer. The one thing the tradesman wins hands down is front grill is way better looking. I was going back and forth between these two at the time..5DBCE900-3C09-4FCC-BA40-E30AA93EDF5F_1_201_a.jpeg

Grassland

OP your stated use and not caring about fuel economy for DD suggests a power wagon would be fine.

I'd personally lean towards an F250 with 6.2 and rear locker and put on tires of your choice, but can understand your apprehension with Ford, as they do generally try to ignore known issues if they usually take place after warranty is up and fixing the issue costs money. "We'll get that on the next mid cycle refresh" kind of attitude.

Plus, it's fun to say Power Wagon.

Explorerinil

Observer
Personally I’d just go with a Ford Super Duty Tremor with the 7.3 in the lariat trim with the ultimate package. I’d also add a factory winch. Will be 85% as nice inside as a PW but with far better towing/payload numbers (which are more important to me), and probably cost around the same as a loaded PW. Ford doesn’t have a disconnecting front sway bar or front locker but I don’t value those that highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having owned a 19 fully loaded power wagon and now an 2021 XLT 7.3 tremor I can tell you the loaded ford will cost dramatically more. I paid 55k for my power wagon, granted that was pre COVID mess and I bought my xlt tremor for 56k, pre chip shortage… I was just offered 60k for my tremor, which I won’t sell. A loaded ultimate lariat tremor is an 80k truck or more.

As for the towing and payload of a power wagon, it’s a dedicated off road truck so it’s not going to have high payload, but I can tell you traveling with 4 people, a bed stuffed with gear and pulling a 5k boat was a breeze. The payload issue of a power wagon isn’t that big of a deal.

Explorerinil

Observer
OP your stated use and not caring about fuel economy for DD suggests a power wagon would be fine.

I'd personally lean towards an F250 with 6.2 and rear locker and put on tires of your choice, but can understand your apprehension with Ford, as they do generally try to ignore known issues if they usually take place after warranty is up and fixing the issue costs money. "We'll get that on the next mid cycle refresh" kind of attitude.

Plus, it's fun to say Power Wagon.
So I have a friend with the same truck as you suggest, comparing that to my 7.3 with a 10 speed, I get better mpg, more power and a simpler engine. My truck on 35’s with 4:30 gears gets the same mpg as his 6.2 xlt f250. Now with the 7.3 out, I see no reason for a 6.2 powered truck.

Explorerinil

Observer
I'm in "need" of a new truck. Let me give a quick back story:

Owned a 2005 F150, took great care of it and stayed on top of maintenance. Spark plug ceramic cracked and fell in to the cylinder on a trip (known design flaw) ruining the motor. Truck went from being worth $13k to $1k in a few seconds.

Needed something quick after that happened, so bought a used 2013 ecoboost with 6.5 bed, max tow package, FX4, etc. I love the truck, and it tows great. Apparently, though, the manifolds can't handle it. After a year of minor towing (3k camper), one manifold warped and cost me about $1k to replace. About a year and a half later, after doing some more towing and hauling a truck camper the both sides have warped, both will need replaced at about $1k/ea (everywhere I've talked to locally has given me the same estimate).

I don't want to keep replacing them so I want to upgrade, these are my needs:

- Reliability. I want to buy something new and own if for the next decade at least without constant fixes or horrible "known issues" that the manufacturer doesn't address.
- I need to be able to tow 8k-9k lbs (travel trailer) on shorter (<250 mile) trips and the occasional long trip.
- I need a crew cab as it is me, wife, 2 kids, dog
- No plans for a truck camper, so don't need a super high payload
- Would really like at least a rear locker, have used mine on the FX4 a fair number of times and it's invaluable when it is needed.
- Gas. This will be my DD and I don't really care about mileage. For reference my 05 F150 average about 12mpg everywhere and this "eco" boost is around 15mpg avg.
- My wife said "no more Fords", so there's that.

The PW seems to have everything I want/need. The 6.4 seems to be reliable with minimal issues. On here and elsewhere I've seen many praise their PW reliability.

My other, and probably more favored, choice would be an F250 FX4 package with 6.2, but my track record with Fords has my wife and I slightly jaded.
Ram builds a very good reliable truck, the 6.4 with the 8speed is a good set up. I can tell you from experience, they are reliable but suck the fuel.

tacollie

Glamper
For a DD I would pick the Power Wagon. It will ride better, has a better turning radius, and it's a tad shorter. If you don't need a full back seat the F250 super cab is nice but will has a larger turning radius. Either one will do better with 35s. They really smooth out the ride.

We like our F250 but it doesn't get driven much as a DD. Both Ford and Ram will be similar for reliability. The Ford dealer here is pretty bad and the Ram dealer has great customer service. If I was concerned about dealership work I would have bought a Ram.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm in "need" of a new truck. Let me give a quick back story:

Owned a 2005 F150, took great care of it and stayed on top of maintenance. Spark plug ceramic cracked and fell in to the cylinder on a trip (known design flaw) ruining the motor. Truck went from being worth $13k to $1k in a few seconds.

Needed something quick after that happened, so bought a used 2013 ecoboost with 6.5 bed, max tow package, FX4, etc. I love the truck, and it tows great. Apparently, though, the manifolds can't handle it. After a year of minor towing (3k camper), one manifold warped and cost me about $1k to replace. About a year and a half later, after doing some more towing and hauling a truck camper the both sides have warped, both will need replaced at about $1k/ea (everywhere I've talked to locally has given me the same estimate).

I don't want to keep replacing them so I want to upgrade, these are my needs:

- Reliability. I want to buy something new and own if for the next decade at least without constant fixes or horrible "known issues" that the manufacturer doesn't address.
- I need to be able to tow 8k-9k lbs (travel trailer) on shorter (<250 mile) trips and the occasional long trip.
- I need a crew cab as it is me, wife, 2 kids, dog
- No plans for a truck camper, so don't need a super high payload
- Would really like at least a rear locker, have used mine on the FX4 a fair number of times and it's invaluable when it is needed.
- Gas. This will be my DD and I don't really care about mileage. For reference my 05 F150 average about 12mpg everywhere and this "eco" boost is around 15mpg avg.
- My wife said "no more Fords", so there's that.

The PW seems to have everything I want/need. The 6.4 seems to be reliable with minimal issues. On here and elsewhere I've seen many praise their PW reliability.

My other, and probably more favored, choice would be an F250 FX4 package with 6.2, but my track record with Fords has my wife and I slightly jaded.

Why not run better quality aftermarket manifolds From CRP and keep your current truck? The factory manifolds are thin and warp with heat. The "fix" is to either lower your EGTs or buy better manifolds.

Grassland

So I have a friend with the same truck as you suggest, comparing that to my 7.3 with a 10 speed, I get better mpg, more power and a simpler engine. My truck on 35’s with 4:30 gears gets the same mpg as his 6.2 xlt f250. Now with the 7.3 out, I see no reason for a 6.2 powered truck.
Regionally there are large price differences. Many thousands more for a 7.3 truck locally (not including the fact they don't exist right now)
Also not sure why ford sticks the six speed on the 250 with 6.2 but the ten with the 350.
What gears does your friend have?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I've owned Range Rovers, Land Rover LR4s and one of the nicest Ford F250s ever, and when I sat in the 2019 Power Wagon (fully optioned) I literally couldn't believe the fit and finish and attention to details. Traded the Ford on the spot (and I've always been a Ford family growing up - Land Rovers were a diversion). I'm not going into year 3 with my Power Wagon and it is the best riding truck I've ever owned. The original intent was to upgrade wheels/tires ... but no need. This thing was designed with the wheels/tires in the stock configuration and it handles great. The only truck I have ever owned that can climb a tree and take us to a fine dinner and feel like a luxury car. And the 12 inch tablet screen if off the hook fantastic. Last year, I happened by a Ford dealer and looked at an F250/F350 and F450 (all Platinum editions). Wife was with me and in each test drive she and my daughter commented that if felt like to trade would be a "step back." Coming from my wife who doesn't really much care about what we drive, that was a huge endorsement to simply let that itch go by. Also, if you wonder about towing? My F250 was indeed a gasser, and this RAM PW with Hemi out tows circles around the Ford. There is zero squat (not so with the Ford) and the gas mileage from towing to town driving is not even noticeable. I pull a 27 foot Airstream by the way. So, no ... I won't talk you out of the Power Wagon. I also have the Ram Boxes. LOVE THEM! So much good out of the box with these trucks!

85_Ranger4x4

[
I've owned Range Rovers, Land Rover LR4s and one of the nicest Ford F250s ever, and when I sat in the 2019 Power Wagon (fully optioned) I literally couldn't believe the fit and finish and attention to details. Traded the Ford on the spot (and I've always been a Ford family growing up - Land Rovers were a diversion). I'm not going into year 3 with my Power Wagon and it is the best riding truck I've ever owned. The original intent was to upgrade wheels/tires ... but no need. This thing was designed with the wheels/tires in the stock configuration and it handles great. The only truck I have ever owned that can climb a tree and take us to a fine dinner and feel like a luxury car. And the 12 inch tablet screen if off the hook fantastic. Last year, I happened by a Ford dealer and looked at an F250/F350 and F450 (all Platinum editions). Wife was with me and in each test drive she and my daughter commented that if felt like to trade would be a "step back." Coming from my wife who doesn't really much care about what we drive, that was a huge endorsement to simply let that itch go by. Also, if you wonder about towing? My F250 was indeed a gasser, and this RAM PW with Hemi out tows circles around the Ford. There is zero squat (not so with the Ford) and the gas mileage from towing to town driving is not even noticeable. I pull a 27 foot Airstream by the way. So, no ... I won't talk you out of the Power Wagon. I also have the Ram Boxes. LOVE THEM! So much good out of the box with these trucks!

The one gripe my wife has about me getting a new Ram is the passenger side legroom. There is a big hump coming off the trans hump that almost gives it a van doghouse flair. They try to dress it up with a deadpedal thing (not covered by the floormat) but temptation is strong to pull the carpet and take a sledge to it.

I currently dd a 200k 2002 F-150 so my standards for most things is pretty low... that was a headscratcher though. I guess it is for the PTO but all Ram trucks have it. My F-150 has a nice open floor pan, so does my dad's F-250, I guess I don't get it.

For Tradesman PW is a $8k option, almost as much as the Cummins. Again I figure the seats and lights should be at least as good as what I have had for the last 16.5 years and have been content with.

Explorerinil

Observer
For a DD I would pick the Power Wagon. It will ride better, has a better turning radius, and it's a tad shorter. If you don't need a full back seat the F250 super cab is nice but will has a larger turning radius. Either one will do better with 35s. They really smooth out the ride.

We like our F250 but it doesn't get driven much as a DD. Both Ford and Ram will be similar for reliability. The Ford dealer here is pretty bad and the Ram dealer has great customer service. If I was concerned about dealership work I would have bought a Ram.
Your right the ram does turn allot tighter than the ford, it’s a huge difference. If you need room and bed capacity ford has that. As for my friends truck, that’s a good question, I’ll have to take a look next time I see him, I wonder if he has 4:30’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles