(partially) new Tundra coming?

Watt maker

are the rear bumper sides part of the bed? That's ridiculous, if so.

Honestly, thus far, it's fugly AF.
I know! I was wondering the same thing. And after I noticed that I started to wonder if the front bumper caps were part of the front fenders too?

It doesn’t appear to be. I can see a seam in the bed side panel and I’m betting the front is the same. The one good thing about this arrangement is that it should be a little easier to fit high clearance bumpers to the truck.

rruff

Explorer
Honestly, thus far, it's fugly AF.

That's my first impression as well... the one sitting in my driveway just looks... better. It's an SR, maybe that's why ;) These all look way better with bigger tires IMO.

I like that they resisted the trend of making the hood ever taller. It looks like it might even be lower...

roving1

I must be officially entering geeserdom and the get off my lawn phase of life. Looks beyond fugly to me.

The design language of the GM trucks looks so bad and try hard to me. Then everybody else copies it to some extent. Now we have these bulky cheesy trucks that look like they had body cladding glued on to them to be in the background of some crappy sci fi TV show to represent the generic look of "the future".

It's sad these trucks are all the swan song of ICE and they all look like this. This is it. This is all we will get. They are over and this was the final form.

Even the Cyber truck looks better these days because as ridiculous as that is for other reasons at least they went for something bold and different and stuck to it (well, we'll see at production time if they really did). Rivian is a complete home run in terms of not looking stupid. Yet the major OEM players can't style anything unique or even just coherent to save their lives, perhaps literally speaking for some.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I must be officially entering geeserdom and the get off my lawn phase of life. Looks beyond fugly to me.

The design language of the GM trucks looks so bad and try hard to me. Then everybody else copies it to some extent. Now we have these bulky cheesy trucks that look like they had body cladding glued on to them to be in the background of some crappy sci fi TV show to represent the generic look of "the future".

It's sad these trucks are all the swan song of ICE engines and they all look like this. This is it. This is all we will get. They are over and this was the final form.

Even the Cyber truck looks better these days because as ridiculous as that is for other reasons at least they went for something bold and different and stuck to it (well, we'll see at production time if they really did). Rivian is a complete home run in terms of not looking stupid. Yet the major OEM players can't style anything unique or even just coherent to save their lives, perhaps literally speaking for some.
I'm going to reserve judgment until I see all trims. But, the TRD PRO grill is huge. And I think blacking out the center of the front bumper doesn't help.

Ford and Ram 1/2 ton grills both seems to have shrunk a bit in their newest generations. The 2021 F150 grill looks smaller than my 2015 to me.

Screenshot 2021-09-14 100655.pngScreenshot 2021-09-14 100955.png

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader

It's sad these trucks are all the swan song of ICE engines and they all look like this. This is it. This is all we will get. They are over and this was the final form.

Smaller displacement hotter running ie more HP means everything is about heat management which means all of them need a huge grill like a semi to handle the heat shedding.

roving1

Smaller displacement hotter running ie more HP means everything is about heat management which means all of them need a huge grill like a semi to handle the heat shedding.

As someone who has participated in calibration exposure testing for max GCVWR towing and high elevation testing for OEMs I am well aware of this. There is more than one way to skin the cat in terms of packaging and style though, not to mention the styling of the whole rest of the vehicle. You can meet the cooling package goals without tripling down on the aggro-bro look if you wanted to.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As someone who has participated in calibration exposure testing for max GCVWR towing and high elevation testing for OEMs I am well aware of this. There is more than one way to skin the cat in terms of packaging and style though, not to mention the styling of the whole rest of the vehicle. You can meet the cooling package goals without tripling down on the aggro-bro look if you wanted to.
Yeah except the agro bro look paired with zero down and credit card tires and lift kit move product ?.

huntsonora

Explorer
I like it

it’ll be interesting to see what kind of mileage it gets with the hybrid

• Standard i-FORCE 3.5L twin-turbo V6 produces up to 389 horsepower, 479 lb.-ft.
  • Available i-FORCE MAX powertrain produces up to 437 horsepower, 583 lb.-ft.
  • Up to 12,000-pound maximum towing capacity

Grassland

In regards to the half ton towing wars, almost nobody has a truck in real life configured for the max tow rating.
Like who is running out buying a regular cab Long box XL 2wd just to brag their truck can tow 12xxx lb?
Once you start getting above 10k, If you are towing that with any frequency, you should probably be considering something other than a half ton.
12k max towing is plenty for the Tundra.

As far as giant grilles for heat transfer, there are other ways, but increasing surface area is easy, and probably cheaper if that is the route taken.
Same reason high SEER AC and Heat Pumps are ridiculously large compared to lower SEER units, cheapest and easiest way to get better heat transfer. And if all the rage is giant grilles, Toyota kind of has an excuse to follow suit. Perhaps the focus committee poll giant grilles as a positive feature

D

Deleted member 9101

In regards to the half ton towing wars, almost nobody has a truck in real life configured for the max tow rating.
Like who is running out buying a regular cab Long box XL 2wd just to brag their truck can tow 12xxx lb?
Once you start getting above 10k, If you are towing that with any frequency, you should probably be considering something other than a half ton.
12k max towing is plenty for the Tundra.

As far as giant grilles for heat transfer, there are other ways, but increasing surface area is easy, and probably cheaper if that is the route taken.
Same reason high SEER AC and Heat Pumps are ridiculously large compared to lower SEER units, cheapest and easiest way to get better heat transfer. And if all the rage is giant grilles, Toyota kind of has an excuse to follow suit. Perhaps the focus committee poll giant grilles as a positive feature
My guess is Toyota went with the giant grill so it looked more like a 2500 than a 1/2 ton.

D

Deleted member 9101

I like it

it’ll be interesting to see what kind of mileage it gets with the hybrid

• Standard i-FORCE 3.5L twin-turbo V6 produces up to 389 horsepower, 479 lb.-ft.
  • Available i-FORCE MAX powertrain produces up to 437 horsepower, 583 lb.-ft.
  • Up to 12,000-pound maximum towing capacity

My guess is it will get lower MPG than Fords Powerboost since the Tundras hybrid system doesn't work over 18MPH. Also, the power numbers for the hybrid are only valid under 18MPH, at 18.1 MPH it's no different than the other motor.

rruff

Explorer
My guess is it will get lower MPG than Fords Powerboost since the Tundras hybrid system doesn't work over 18MPH. Also, the power numbers for the hybrid are only valid under 18MPH, at 18.1 MPH it's no different than the other motor.

The engine always comes on at 18 mph, the electric motor doesn't go off at 18 mph. In tow-haul the electric motor is always on.

"Although the electric motor does the bulk of the work at lower speeds, once above 18 mph, the gasoline engine is constantly in operation for excellent performance in the mid- and high-speed range. When in TOW/HAUL mode, the i-FORCE MAX system is constantly in operation to provide impressive acceleration and torque for towing needs. "

rruff

Explorer
Some things I noticed:

-Fully boxed frame now.
-Still available in Double Cab+ 8.1ft bed.
-Crew Cab + 6.5 ft bed now available... guess they will have 3 frames.

Here is the crew with 6.5' bed:

2022-toyota-tundra-platinum-101-1631806982.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior